PS Vita General

PS Vita General

07 Jun 2011
By: Gamerwillz Member 2836 Posts
Level 3

PS Vita. Why touch screen in Uncharted?

[ Edited ]
11 Replies 329 Views edited 07-06-2011

Honestly, I was really disgusted by the way you touch a ledge for Drake to climb on, or touching an enemy to launch an attack.

Absolutely inappropriate! I sure really hope that the game will give me the option to turn the gimmick feature off. I much prefer to play it like you do on PS3, using buttons on your controller.

But, using touch screen looked good on LittleBigPlanet and editing the tracks in ModNation Racers.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (329 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Re: PS Vita. Why touch screen in Uncharted?

I am fairly confident that its optional.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (324 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

"Disgusted"

Bits strong eh?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (317 Views)
Level 4

It's 100% optional, they simply put it in there as an alternative for those who either wish to use it or those new to uncharted, i'm with you on wanting original ps3 controls and they are in there, as the dev's stated uncharted fans will want to play with the controls they are used to, so they can.

However i do like the look of some of the touch controls, while i wont climb walls with them i like the reload action, you can either press a button to reload or tap the on screen weapon icon, similarly picking up a new weapon can be done with a button or by tapping the weapon icon that appears on screen, those little touches (excuse the pun, lol) look fantasticly integrated, it's worth remembering uncharted is huge, so this game will undoubtedly be a system seller, therefore the dev's will incorporate as many innovative controls as they can without messing with the core uncharted controls, simply to demonstrate the versatility of the systems six-axis and dual touch pad options.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (294 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

It's optional, so who cares? If you want to use it, you use it, if you don't, you don't.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (288 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

[ Edited ]

Gamerwillz wrote:

Honestly, I was really disgusted by the way you touch a ledge for Drake to climb on, or touching an enemy to launch an attack.

Absolutely inappropriate! I sure really hope that the game will give me the option to turn the gimmick feature off. I much prefer to play it like you do on PS3, using buttons on your controller.

But, using touch screen looked good on LittleBigPlanet and editing the tracks in ModNation Racers.

So its ok for one game to utilise it but not anohter?

Jesus did you actually watch the conference or just come here in a fit of rage because a freind of a friend told you thats what the game did?

If you watched it then you would know that he was playing the game normally at first then showed you that you can play it in a totaly new way. Its called inovation.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (282 Views)
Level 6

ytevo79 wrote:

Gamerwillz wrote:
[---]

So its ok for one game to utilise it but not anohter?

There's a difference -- at least to me. Actual hands-on experience may change how I feel, but my initial thoughts having used similar devices/applications:

I liked the touch screen feature in ModNation, but I can't see myself playing Uncharted with it (though I would have to add that "disgusted" would be a few magnituides too strong choice of word for me).

In the Uncharted case I can see my finger being "in the way" of the game. Also, depending on how common these things are, I need to keep changing how I hold the controller. Experience has taught me that I quickly grow bored of changing grip/moving around my hands too much, if it's just for "administrative" purposes. Most importantly, it ruins the immersion for me.

In the case of ModNation Racers, it's much less critical to quickly get your finger out of the way; it's more like a drawing program. And there's no immersion while editing.

OP: I believe one of the Uncharted devs said you didn't have to use any of the fancy new controls, that it's playable using all the "traditional" controls. Though I would suggest you to at least give the new controls a try. You never know..

Personally, I think a lot of these things will be like the tilting feature of the DualShock 3 -- it's a gimmick which will quickly go from being over-used to being used properly in much fewer games/situations.

This is a old saying I just made up: Great features aren't great because they are used everywhere, they are great because they are used properly in the right context.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (247 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I love seeing these over the top reactions xD The reason it's there is because touch screen is one of the major selling points of the Vita, go outside and have a breath of fresh air if you don't wanna use it. I personally think it heightens any game.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (245 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

It's optional. The more ways to play a game the better eh?
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (232 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

You can use either control method at anytime, swith from touchscreen to buttons without going into the Menu. Both control methods are active at the same time, its a matter of choice, you have both options to choose from at anytime so i cant see what your moaning about.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (226 Views)
0 Kudos