14 Feb 2012
By Plambey
Playstation Staff

So I Just Received My Vita.... (Initial Impressions Inside)

[ Edited ]
72 Replies 1,389 Views edited 14-02-2012

...and what can I say, other than WOW! this is one seriously slick device. as a big fan of technology and devices such as tablets, ios devices and android devices, the first thing i have to comment on is how slick the Vita UI is. works really well, lovely and smooth and very responsive when flicking through different pages/screens etc.

this is only a small bit of impressions about a few of the featues i've tested, an no doubt theres still tonnes left i've to find out but i thought i'd share a few of the points i had!

what may only be a small thing to you, but the PS Vita's messaging function is absolutely lovely.

while the ps3 works in a single message mode each time, the vita works similar to that found on an android/ios device, with the messages between users being threaded, so u can view the conversation you are having as opposed to clicking into and exiting out of each individual message to try make sense of the converstation on ps3. would love to see this messagin on the ps3 instead as its lovely.

the little notifications alert also works similar to mobiles, with an unobtrusive circlular icon on the top right of the screen when in menus, u can then click to expand and view all notifications, and then click on individual notifications and jump to that app, ie when u have a new message.

i remember reading an article recently, not sure if it was ign or gamespot, where they complained about the time between pressing the vita home button, and the time the screen takes to jump to life, and because of this time, they often found themselves re-locking the screen as they werent sure if they'd pressed the button or not...

ignore these guys, the vita takes the same time to open up each time u press that home button, its not hard to learn this.

camera i'm surprsingly happy with, although taking a picture of my disheveled self at 9am this morning did nothing for my ego let me tell you!

screen, as you've no doubt, is crisp as hell, and while the console itself does take a while to get used to holding, as its quite different to the dualshock, i'm already well on my way to feeling at home with it.

as for the people complained about the vita ports being difficult to open. rest assured, i bite my nails constantly, and i had no trouble opening the ports. they are well designed so that they are not fiddly and open when you dont want them to.

the screenshot function is also lovely, and when browsing your shots, the vita is clever enough to categorize your photos into the scenarios they were taking in, ie. "trophy collection" or "group messaging" depending on what game/app you were in when you took the photo, very slick.

i've got UC GA and little deviants to try out on it, but i havent tried either yet, i've been too busy mucking about with the settings and customisation, as well as the welcome park which has a few nice little puzzle games to keep u ticking over.

any of the rest of you got your vita yet and care to share your opinions? also, if any of you have any questions go ahead and ask and i'll try my best to answer what i can, if i can!

i'm yet to try out features such as remote play and psp titles on it etc as i'm currently still in bed dyin with the flu so i havent been downstairs yet to sync it up to the ps3!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 73 (1,389 Views)
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: So I Just Received My Vita.... (Initial Impressions Inside)

How did you get it so early?

I'm starting to look forward to it myself. I'm starting to lean more to ''buying'' it now from reading these forums.

Check out my Podcast. The Fellaship Podcast.
TFP On iTunes

TFP On Facebook
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 73 (1,375 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

i may or may not have been lucky enough to win one... its a lovely piece of tech and i think it compliments the ps3 nicely, and infact does quite a few things better than the ps3 itself..
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 73 (1,368 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Same I should stop reading these there getting me excited :-)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 73 (1,366 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Great review :smileyvery-happy: Forgot you won one you Jammy Dodger lol

So it's living up to expectations so far?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 73 (1,265 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

still havent dived into the games yet bud! still marvelling at the messaging tbh and the UI in general, it jus works so well! cant wait for the psn store to go live and to stick in uncharted in the next few mins!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 73 (1,243 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Do me a personal favour and pair it up with the PS3.

I'd love to know how well remote play works, hopefully there's no input lag which the PSP had

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 73 (1,187 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

FooFan73 wrote:

Do me a personal favour and pair it up with the PS3.

I'd love to know how well remote play works, hopefully there's no input lag which the PSP had

There's no input lag because nothing works lol.

"this content cannot be used during remote play"...for everything (game wise, movies work fine).

Not sure if i'm doing something wrong, which may well be the case.

Edit: would it make a difference if it's a wired connection? I'm running the ps3 wireless atm.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 73 (1,166 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Plambey wrote:
i may or may not have been lucky enough to win one... its a lovely piece of tech and i think it compliments the ps3 nicely, and infact does quite a few things better than the ps3 itself..

The Sun competition or another? Just asking cause I aint heard anything from TheSun so I guess I didnt win.. hehe

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 73 (1,161 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Spirit0fLight wrote:

Plambey wrote:

The Sun competition or another? Just asking cause I aint heard anything from TheSun so I guess I didnt win.. hehe

Same haha

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 73 (1,154 Views)
0 Kudos