12 Mar 2012
By tibberz
Playstation Staff

The Good, the Bad and the...

8 Replies 291 Views Created 12-03-2012

Game play - excellent. In-game controls superb. Battery life... well, it's a battery and even Apple haven't sorted that one yet...

BUT... the browser. I can't believe that Sony have released a device with such a poor browser. There are situations in which scrolling within a page (possibly a frame?) isn't possible. The lack of genuine HTML5. The lack of a home page. Ok, if we wanted a tablet we'd have bought a ipad3 not a game console but even so the Vita browser team can't be feeling very proud of themselves. Why is the Vita designed down to a specification rather than being a genuinely cutting edge device? 

Whilst the hardware is fixed for us early adopters (so the camera is and will always remain pathetic despite the use of the classic Leica icon...) let's hope firmware will give us a decent browser - and possibly even some decent third party apps (not all purchasers of the  Vita want/need PSN 'friends').

Promised so much and it's almost there... but what's bad is really very very ugly.

T

ps not sure I'd have expected to be able to do this but don't even try to access iCloud...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (291 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: The Good, the Bad and the...

It's a Games Console! It plays games and fantastically, get over it!

The browser works just fine.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (276 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I agree it's a games console primarily and a good one . So why don't Sony leave it at that. If they are going to stick apps on like near and a useless browser they are going to get stick. Do it properly or leave well alone and let the iPad be an all singing all dancing device ! They do it well
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (252 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Relenless# I agree that it's a gaming handheld BUT there is a web browser on the system so if they have a browser why not have a good one?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (241 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

kivi95 wrote:
Relenless# I agree that it's a gaming handheld BUT there is a web browser on the system so if they have a browser why not have a good one?

Its being worked on apparently, sony are currently in talks with adobe about the useage of things like flash and shockwave, so who knows, its early days and firmware updates might be upon us

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (219 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

I have to say, i find the Vita browser quite poor. Scrolling down a page, and i get a checkered screen whilst the background image loads isnt ideal. Heck, the PSP's browser, imo, was better than this! Admittingly, it was outdated with no flash video, though flash game support, but at least i could work the thing effectively to quickly check an email. I just find the Vita browser poor in comparison
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Coventry City FC Fan, BSc Hons in Computer Science.
PS1 original, PS2 original & slim, PS3 original & slim, PSP original, PSVita Day 1, PS4 Day 1 Player Edition bundle #4ThePlayers
YouTube Channel - Gaming | Sporting Events | Music Events
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (200 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I am so tired of hearing people moan about the browser, and no YouTube/video support. I know OP hasn't mentioned YouTube, but I really am tired of hearing the same "issues" being reported.

Change the record!

Не верь, не бойся, не проси

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (192 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

But if people don't moan as you call it, Sony may not pay attention or fix things.

As was said Sony put the browser on the Vita and its not perfect. Just like a few other things. There are always going to be things people think could be improved or tweaked.  No system or software thats released is ever perfect and some of the best improvements often come from surgestions or even criticism.

If you think its moaning then move onto the next topic that may interest you rather than make an unhelpful comment. 

This just my opinion and no offence is intended.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (162 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

As said below it is a portable hand held gaming machine, not a Canon camera or a Ipad/laptop.

Do you think the Apple fan boys are moaning because the new ipad dosent have dual analogue sticks? Didnt think so.

Whats wrong with you all????

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (137 Views)
0 Kudos