23 Feb 2012
By Tanster
Playstation Staff

USB Charging Issue

18 Replies 1,015 Views Created 23-02-2012

I have an issue charging my Vita via USB. 

The PC I have it connected to does not have the Content Manager software installed however I have ensured the Vita is fully turned off and once I connect the USB cable to my PC it detects it as the PS logo turns orange. 

However after about 30 seconds the logo flashes blue for an instant and then has no colour at all.  I have read the manuals and when it turns off it is meant to be fully charged however it definitely isn’t as when I reboot it is only about 50% full. 

Has anyone else had this issue or found a work around for it?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19 (1,015 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: USB Charging Issue

It could be the USB port isn't providing enough power. Not all USB ports are the same in this respect.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19 (1,010 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

BlackKnightJP wrote:
It could be the USB port isn't providing enough power. Not all USB ports are the same in this respect.

Cheers for the quick reply BK.  Was thinking it might be that althougth i cannot check on another PC.

Bit annoying as i was hoping to charge it at work and play it on the Muggle Wagon on the way home.

Will try it on my laptop tonight

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19 (1,006 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

USB charging doesn't work like charging from the Wall. If you power on your Vita you won't see a charging indication on the battery but leave it for a while and the battery does fill (asuming you're not connected to the PC with Content Manager - in that case the USB charging is inhibited).

One final though, I take it you have enabled the USB charging option in Settings? I think it's off by default.

Rotor.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19 (997 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

RotorHed wrote:
USB charging doesn't work like charging from the Wall. If you power on your Vita you won't see a charging indication on the battery but leave it for a while and the battery does fill (asuming you're not connected to the PC with Content Manager - in that case the USB charging is inhibited).

One final though, I take it you have enabled the USB charging option in Settings? I think it's off by default.

Rotor.

USB Charging defo enabled as that was the first thing I checked.  Seems strange that Vita is off, light comes on, then light goes off after 30 secs.  I have even tried to increase the Power Output from the USB and that hasn't worked.

Maybe BK is right and the USB'd on this PC aren't good enough

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19 (988 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

**UPDATE**

Tried 2 more PC's and a brand new laptop and same thing happens - Orange light for 30 secs and then nothing!!!

Seems weird that if it wasn't going to work it wouldn't even detect it but it does.

Anybody else had this issue or found a work around?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19 (967 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Can you not charge from a power socket ?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19 (954 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Tanster wrote:

**UPDATE**

Tried 2 more PC's and a brand new laptop and same thing happens - Orange light for 30 secs and then nothing!!!

Seems weird that if it wasn't going to work it wouldn't even detect it but it does.

Anybody else had this issue or found a work around?

I think I alrady mentioned above - USB charging is not like charing from wall. The Vita doesn't show it's charging but it is....

Have you tried running the battery down by playing it for a bit and tehn leaving it on USB to see if bat goes up?

Rotor.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19 (948 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

As above, try leaving it and see if it charges, if not then try leaving it in standby instead of fully off THEN see if the charge increases.

I wouldn't be surprised if it ONLY works when still turned on/staqndby as it could be like the PS3 controller, it won't charge until the PC tells it everything is okay.  Despite the fact the official instructions say the opposite.

Its likely the official instructions are just plain wrong as they refer to the original firmware behaviour of the Playstation button LED despite the fact it was changed in a newer firmware so its always lit when powered on, before it only lit up for notifications.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19 (936 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

This is a known issue and is the same issue that causes USB charging woes on PSPGo.

The following mod of a usb extension cable will solve your problems.

http://www.snapturtle.com/wp/2012/02/22/ps-vita-usb-charging-solved/

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19 (887 Views)
0 Kudos