24 Feb 2012
Playstation Staff

Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

29 Replies 2,707 Views Created 24-02-2012

I love my vita to bits, the only gripe I have is the headphones (Im using the special pre order ones) Now at first I thought it may be the headphones but putting them into the iPhone makes them twice as loud then I though that AVLS option must be on which it wasnt, then I put the Vita on my car stereo and I had to double the volume on the stereo than normal to get it to the same level as say my iPhone .

I cant explain how it sounds, Its like perfect quality but just that little bit too low. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 30 (2,707 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

I totally agree.  It seems really weird that on half volume its quite loud out of the speakers, but plug the headphones in and you can barely hear it on the same setting.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 30 (2,702 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

It's nothing to do with the Vita, it's the pre-order headphones. They are volume limiting headphones which is really annoying. It was the same with the ones that came with the original PSP which I had. I have been using iPod headphones and the sound s much louder so I suggest trying them or some other decent headphones.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 30 (2,697 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I have no such problems with my Senheiser PX-200's. Infact they work as they should making the sound louder then at the same volume with the speakers.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 30 (2,693 Views)
Level 2

Playstation Staff

hOAx2000 wrote:

I love my vita to bits, the only gripe I have is the headphones (Im using the special pre order ones) Now at first I thought it may be the headphones but putting them into the iPhone makes them twice as loud then I though that AVLS option must be on which it wasnt, then I put the Vita on my car stereo and I had to double the volume on the stereo than normal to get it to the same level as say my iPhone .

I cant explain how it sounds, Its like perfect quality but just that little bit too low. 

This is because of EU law, manufacturers have to limit music players and stuff to protect hearing but Sony tend to limit their volume a little lower than what they need to. You can override the EU volume limit on Sony MP3 players but I'm not sure if you can do it with the Vita.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 30 (2,691 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

MightyCrow wrote:

It's nothing to do with the Vita, it's the pre-order headphones. They are volume limiting headphones which is really annoying. It was the same with the ones that came with the original PSP which I had. I have been using iPod headphones and the sound s much louder so I suggest trying them or some other decent headphones.

See I thought that as I mentioned though if i put those headphones in the iPhone they become loud and great headphones. 

JudgeFredd wrote:
hOAx2000 wrote:

This is because of EU law, manufacturers have to limit music players and stuff to protect hearing but Sony tend to limit their volume a little lower than what they need to. You can override the EU volume limit on Sony MP3 players but I'm not sure if you can do it with the Vita.

This sounds more plauseable but its silly just how low the sound is. For example when using car stereo on Iphone to get a decent volume would be around level 20, on the vita to get the same sound is right up to level 38 - that just shows how low it is lol. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 30 (2,665 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

It's fine for me too. AVLS will affect it, but it should be turned off by default ? It's definitely a preventative measure so that when you insert any earphones/cans you don't blow your eardrums.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 30 (2,654 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

The preorder earphones are too quiet, I set my mp3 player to max & it still wasn't loud enough I then made the mistake of plugging my normal ones back in & nearly blow my eardrums. But I do think the volume on the Vita is quite low, I guess just used to my Mp3 & iphone volume.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 30 (2,650 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I hope sony can address the issue with a FW update.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 30 (2,630 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

hOAx2000 wrote:
I hope sony can address the issue with a FW update.
It's also the headphones - I have the preorder ones, very low volume, but if I use my skullcandy ink'd they are louder T the same volume level - so I think the headphones you use play a part too.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 30 (2,614 Views)
0 Kudos