Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 148

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

24 Feb 2012
By hOAx2000

hOAx2000

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

29 Replies 3,621 Views Created 24-02-2012

I love my vita to bits, the only gripe I have is the headphones (Im using the special pre order ones) Now at first I thought it may be the headphones but putting them into the iPhone makes them twice as loud then I though that AVLS option must be on which it wasnt, then I put the Vita on my car stereo and I had to double the volume on the stereo than normal to get it to the same level as say my iPhone .

 

I cant explain how it sounds, Its like perfect quality but just that little bit too low. 

Reply
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
05
/16

AlexAtkinUK

  • Offline
86%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AlexAtkinUK
Accepted Solution

I totally agree.  It seems really weird that on half volume its quite loud out of the speakers, but plug the headphones in and you can barely hear it on the same setting.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

02
/16

MightyCrow

  • Offline
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MightyCrow
Accepted Solution

It's nothing to do with the Vita, it's the pre-order headphones. They are volume limiting headphones which is really annoying. It was the same with the ones that came with the original PSP which I had. I have been using iPod headphones and the sound s much louder so I suggest trying them or some other decent headphones.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

02
/16

hOAx2000

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
hOAx2000
Accepted Solution

MightyCrow wrote:

It's nothing to do with the Vita, it's the pre-order headphones. They are volume limiting headphones which is really annoying. It was the same with the ones that came with the original PSP which I had. I have been using iPod headphones and the sound s much louder so I suggest trying them or some other decent headphones.


 

See I thought that as I mentioned though if i put those headphones in the iPhone they become loud and great headphones. 

 

JudgeFredd wrote:
hOAx2000 wrote:

I love my vita to bits, the only gripe I have is the headphones (Im using the special pre order ones) Now at first I thought it may be the headphones but putting them into the iPhone makes them twice as loud then I though that AVLS option must be on which it wasnt, then I put the Vita on my car stereo and I had to double the volume on the stereo than normal to get it to the same level as say my iPhone .

 

I cant explain how it sounds, Its like perfect quality but just that little bit too low. 

This is because of EU law, manufacturers have to limit music players and stuff to protect hearing but Sony tend to limit their volume a little lower than what they need to. You can override the EU volume limit on Sony MP3 players but I'm not sure if you can do it with the Vita.

 This sounds more plauseable but its silly just how low the sound is. For example when using car stereo on Iphone to get a decent volume would be around level 20, on the vita to get the same sound is right up to level 38 - that just shows how low it is lol. 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

Award Winner
13
/16

THE_FORCE

  • Award Winner
  • Offline
89%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
THE_FORCE
Accepted Solution
It's fine for me too. AVLS will affect it, but it should be turned off by default ? It's definitely a preventative measure so that when you insert any earphones/cans you don't blow your eardrums.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

02
/16

KillerXp82

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KillerXp82
Accepted Solution
The preorder earphones are too quiet, I set my mp3 player to max & it still wasn't loud enough I then made the mistake of plugging my normal ones back in & nearly blow my eardrums. But I do think the volume on the Vita is quite low, I guess just used to my Mp3 & iphone volume.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

02
/16

hOAx2000

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
hOAx2000
Accepted Solution
I hope sony can address the issue with a FW update.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

02
/16

ShadeyBoy

  • Offline
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ShadeyBoy
Accepted Solution

hOAx2000 wrote:
I hope sony can address the issue with a FW update.
It's also the headphones - I have the preorder ones, very low volume, but if I use my skullcandy ink'd they are louder T the same volume level - so I think the headphones you use play a part too.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

02
/16

f8kreality

  • Offline
22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
f8kreality
Accepted Solution

I have the exact same issue.  I got my PS VIta on Pre-order launch day (Feb 14) and it is a wifi+3G model.  The volume is unbearably low with almost all games.  I have noticed that if I add MP3 files to the vita and set a different level of volume for specific MP3 tracks, some are louder than others but the low volume level is ridiculously low.

 

And just to be clear, I own several pair of headphones including a pair of Sony Studio headphones, Sony iE-38 iPhone headphones, A classic (white) pair of Apple headphones and a pair of Bose on-ear headphones and I have tried them all to no avail.  The volume on this unit really stinks and needs to be addressed (hopefully) with a firmware update.

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

02
/16

BlackKnightJP

  • Offline
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlackKnightJP
Accepted Solution
I have no such problems with my Senheiser PX-200's. Infact they work as they should making the sound louder then at the same volume with the speakers.

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

06
/16

TINTINTB303

  • Offline
85%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TINTINTB303
Accepted Solution

BlackKnightJP wrote:
I have no such problems with my Senheiser PX-200's. Infact they work as they should making the sound louder then at the same volume with the speakers.

 

Exactly. People need to buy some decent headphones and it's problem solved. I use a pair of Sennheisser HD 25 SPs and they sound superb and if the Vita is turned up full they are really loud, plenty of bass and a lovely crisp treble. Only problem is having to use a jack so that the headphones fit in the 3.5mm output in the Vita but I would rather have that minor inconvenience than horrible tinny sounds.

People need to treat themselves to a nice pair of headphones. It really does improve the whole Vita experience :smileyhappy:

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

[ Edited ]
02
/16

BlackKnightJP

  • Offline
88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlackKnightJP
Accepted Solution

TINTINTB303 wrote:

BlackKnightJP wrote:
I have no such problems with my Senheiser PX-200's. Infact they work as they should making the sound louder then at the same volume with the speakers.

 

Exactly. People need to buy some decent headphones and it's problem solved. I use a pair of Sennheisser HD 25 SPs and they sound superb and if the Vita is turned up full they are really loud, plenty of bass and a lovely crisp treble. Only problem is having to use a jack so that the headphones fit in the 3.5mm output in the Vita but I would rather have that minor inconvenience than horrible tinny sounds.

People need to treat themselves to a nice pair of headphones. It really does improve the whole Vita experience :smileyhappy:


I just upgraded to the B&W P5's which cost me £250. I have no problem with the sound and it's even better with these then it was with the much cheaper Senheiser ones. I realise it's all subjective but in my opinion it's not the system but the headphones you use with it.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

06
/16

TINTINTB303

  • Offline
85%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TINTINTB303
Accepted Solution

BlackKnightJP wrote:

TINTINTB303 wrote:

BlackKnightJP wrote:
I have no such problems with my Senheiser PX-200's. Infact they work as they should making the sound louder then at the same volume with the speakers.

 

Exactly. People need to buy some decent headphones and it's problem solved. I use a pair of Sennheisser HD 25 SPs and they sound superb and if the Vita is turned up full they are really loud, plenty of bass and a lovely crisp treble. Only problem is having to use a jack so that the headphones fit in the 3.5mm output in the Vita but I would rather have that minor inconvenience than horrible tinny sounds.

People need to treat themselves to a nice pair of headphones. It really does improve the whole Vita experience :smileyhappy:


I just upgraded to the B&W P5's which cost me £250. I have no problem with the sound and it's even better with these then it was with the much cheaper Senheiser ones. I realise it's all subjective but in my opinion it's not the system but the headphones you use with it.

 

I agree totally. I realise that not all people can't afford £250 for headphones or even the £50-£100 for the cheaper Sennheisers but people should spend at least £45 for a decent audio experience via the Vita's audio jack. If people really expected Sony's official Vita headphones (-£20) to be any good then more fool them as their £200+ studio/DJ headphones a pile of steaming dog doo doo!

People need to do some research, read customer reviews and they will find you can still pick up a pretty decent pair of headphones for below the £50 mark. On another point, in-ear buds will never be as good (in general) as full cover headphones (that said there are some exceptions but cost a fortune).

Please people do your research and get a decent pair of cans and it will drastically increase your whole Vita experience as Sony wont change the output level of Vitas that have already been sold :smileyhappy:

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

02
/16

Codey47

  • Offline
96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Codey47
Accepted Solution

I had the same problem with PSP so I bought a Fiio E7 headphone amp.

I have recently upgraded to a Fiio E17 Alpen Headphone amp which allows the user to adjust Treble, Bass Balance and Gain(0db 6db 12db) Works an absolute charm for devices that are lacklustre in the headphone output department. The E17 can also be connected to a PS3 via optical.

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

Playstation Revamped

Jesus Teabagged Me
02
/16

milkster1001

  • Offline
92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
milkster1001
Accepted Solution

Having good headphones definitely makes a difference, without a doubt, and I have a feeling it may come down to what game you're playing as well. I've found, that with Unit 13, if you go into Audio when you pause the game, then untick the Headphones box, and tick the Speakers box, you'll notice the sound volume increase by a significant amount, makes a huge difference when using headphones. I only play Unit 13 at just over half volume, and it's perfect, loud enough, crisp and clear. So I don't know if the same applies with other games, you'll have to check it out.

I use Sennheiser HD 201 headphones, literally got them the other day off Amazon for £15.99, incredible price, I really wasn't expecting much at all, I thought they were going to sound a little tinny, but they really do deliver performance wise, great sound quality, even better than a pair of £70 Sony headphones I used to have. I highly recommend them, especially if you haven't got a great deal of money to spend. They're lovely and comfy too. :Thumbs:

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

06
/16

TINTINTB303

  • Offline
85%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TINTINTB303
Accepted Solution

milkster1001 wrote:

Having good headphones definitely makes a difference, without a doubt, and I have a feeling it may come down to what game you're playing as well. I've found, that with Unit 13, if you go into Audio when you pause the game, then untick the Headphones box, and tick the Speakers box, you'll notice the sound volume increase by a significant amount, makes a huge difference when using headphones. I only play Unit 13 at just over half volume, and it's perfect, loud enough, crisp and clear. So I don't know if the same applies with other games, you'll have to check it out.

I use Sennheiser HD 201 headphones, literally got them the other day off Amazon for £15.99, incredible price, I really wasn't expecting much at all, I thought they were going to sound a little tinny, but they really do deliver performance wise, great sound quality, even better than a pair of £70 Sony headphones I used to have. I highly recommend them, especially if you haven't got a great deal of money to spend. They're lovely and comfy too. :Thumbs:


 

Sennheisser headphones are most definitely the way to go. Nearly all Sony's own headphones are absolutely terrible even at the £200 mark and don't get me started on the awful Skull Candy efforts or the massively over priced tinny pieces of poop that Dr Dre endorses that all the kids think are so cool at the moment.

 

Weather it's for gaming, listening to MP3 player, bedroom DJing, music production and DJing in clubs with a 50K WATT Funktion 1 sound system then Sennheisser have a pair of headphones for the job. Even the trusty old HD 25 SPs are great for club DJing but still great for the Vita.

 

The only problem is using the adapter so you can fit the 1/4 inch jack into the 3.5mm Vita headphone output but I'll put up with that for excellent crisp neck snapping treble and ground rumbling bass anyday and like you pointed out you don't have to pay the earth for a pair you just need to look around and do a bit of research :Thumbs: 

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

MVP
10
/16

strangeplaice

  • MVP
  • Offline
95%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
I bought a simple pair of £35 Skullcandy headphones and can nearly deafen myself using the Vita.I suppose it depends which specific model, and not just the manufacturer.

I don't need a surround sound experience or £984846816 headphones. Just something I can hear my Vita with, that doesn't cost a bomb and won't break before I open the packet. The Skull Candy ones do that just fine, and are better than the cheaper £10 ear buds. That's all I ask of them.
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?



06
/16

TINTINTB303

  • Offline
85%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TINTINTB303
Accepted Solution

strangeplaice wrote:
I bought a simple pair of £35 Skullcandy headphones and can nearly deafen myself using the Vita.I suppose it depends which specific model, and not just the manufacturer.

I don't need a surround sound experience or £984846816 headphones. Just something I can hear my Vita with, that doesn't cost a bomb and won't break before I open the packet. The Skull Candy ones do that just fine, and are better than the cheaper £10 ear buds. That's all I ask of them.

 

To be fair my Skull Candy remark was a bit un-called for as they do make some fairly decent headphones. I do however stand firmly by my slating of all of Sony's headphones though :smileywink:

 

"Beats". That's the name/brand of the over priced, Dr Dre, cool with the kids headphones :Music:

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

MVP
10
/16

strangeplaice

  • MVP
  • Offline
95%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
Sony headphones are unfortunately, tripe from my past experience. Beats are a complete cash cow, and the music equivalent of Ferrari.
When you have one, you think your the coolest person ever to exist, but everyone around you secretly thinks "total *****".
Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?



06
/16

TINTINTB303

  • Offline
85%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TINTINTB303
Accepted Solution

strangeplaice wrote:
Sony headphones are unfortunately, tripe from my past experience. Beats are a complete cash cow, and the music equivalent of Ferrari.
When you have one, you think your the coolest person ever to exist, but everyone around you secretly thinks "total *****".

 

:Lol: That's very true!

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

02
/16

Codey47

  • Offline
96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Codey47
Accepted Solution

The Sony Fontopia headphones in early 1990's were very good.

Haven't had a pair of Sony headphones since though...can't really comment about their latest headphone ranges .

Reply
0 Kudos

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

Playstation Revamped

Jesus Teabagged Me
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel