Playstation Staff

Re: Low sound through headphone port on Vita?

I have the exact same issue.  I got my PS VIta on Pre-order launch day (Feb 14) and it is a wifi+3G model.  The volume is unbearably low with almost all games.  I have noticed that if I add MP3 files to the vita and set a different level of volume for specific MP3 tracks, some are louder than others but the low volume level is ridiculously low.

And just to be clear, I own several pair of headphones including a pair of Sony Studio headphones, Sony iE-38 iPhone headphones, A classic (white) pair of Apple headphones and a pair of Bose on-ear headphones and I have tried them all to no avail.  The volume on this unit really stinks and needs to be addressed (hopefully) with a firmware update.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 30 (1,975 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have the same problem. The music and games on the vita have terribly soft audio. I hope that sony adresses this with a firmware update, because it is frustrating. It is not the headphones it is the system. I own some bose headphones and it is frustrating not getting good sound out of them. I have also tried the iphone and some skullcandy earphones and the result is the same.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 30 (1,913 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

BlackKnightJP wrote:
I have no such problems with my Senheiser PX-200's. Infact they work as they should making the sound louder then at the same volume with the speakers.

Exactly. People need to buy some decent headphones and it's problem solved. I use a pair of Sennheisser HD 25 SPs and they sound superb and if the Vita is turned up full they are really loud, plenty of bass and a lovely crisp treble. Only problem is having to use a jack so that the headphones fit in the 3.5mm output in the Vita but I would rather have that minor inconvenience than horrible tinny sounds.

People need to treat themselves to a nice pair of headphones. It really does improve the whole Vita experience :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 30 (1,905 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

TINTINTB303 wrote:

BlackKnightJP wrote:
I have no such problems with my Senheiser PX-200's. Infact they work as they should making the sound louder then at the same volume with the speakers.

Exactly. People need to buy some decent headphones and it's problem solved. I use a pair of Sennheisser HD 25 SPs and they sound superb and if the Vita is turned up full they are really loud, plenty of bass and a lovely crisp treble. Only problem is having to use a jack so that the headphones fit in the 3.5mm output in the Vita but I would rather have that minor inconvenience than horrible tinny sounds.

People need to treat themselves to a nice pair of headphones. It really does improve the whole Vita experience :smileyhappy:

I just upgraded to the B&W P5's which cost me £250. I have no problem with the sound and it's even better with these then it was with the much cheaper Senheiser ones. I realise it's all subjective but in my opinion it's not the system but the headphones you use with it.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 30 (1,889 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

BlackKnightJP wrote:

TINTINTB303 wrote:

BlackKnightJP wrote:

I just upgraded to the B&W P5's which cost me £250. I have no problem with the sound and it's even better with these then it was with the much cheaper Senheiser ones. I realise it's all subjective but in my opinion it's not the system but the headphones you use with it.

I agree totally. I realise that not all people can't afford £250 for headphones or even the £50-£100 for the cheaper Sennheisers but people should spend at least £45 for a decent audio experience via the Vita's audio jack. If people really expected Sony's official Vita headphones (-£20) to be any good then more fool them as their £200+ studio/DJ headphones a pile of steaming dog doo doo!

People need to do some research, read customer reviews and they will find you can still pick up a pretty decent pair of headphones for below the £50 mark. On another point, in-ear buds will never be as good (in general) as full cover headphones (that said there are some exceptions but cost a fortune).

Please people do your research and get a decent pair of cans and it will drastically increase your whole Vita experience as Sony wont change the output level of Vitas that have already been sold :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 30 (1,868 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

I had the same problem with PSP so I bought a Fiio E7 headphone amp.

I have recently upgraded to a Fiio E17 Alpen Headphone amp which allows the user to adjust Treble, Bass Balance and Gain(0db 6db 12db) Works an absolute charm for devices that are lacklustre in the headphone output department. The E17 can also be connected to a PS3 via optical.

Playstation Revamped

Jesus Teabagged Me
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 30 (1,841 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Having good headphones definitely makes a difference, without a doubt, and I have a feeling it may come down to what game you're playing as well. I've found, that with Unit 13, if you go into Audio when you pause the game, then untick the Headphones box, and tick the Speakers box, you'll notice the sound volume increase by a significant amount, makes a huge difference when using headphones. I only play Unit 13 at just over half volume, and it's perfect, loud enough, crisp and clear. So I don't know if the same applies with other games, you'll have to check it out.

I use Sennheiser HD 201 headphones, literally got them the other day off Amazon for £15.99, incredible price, I really wasn't expecting much at all, I thought they were going to sound a little tinny, but they really do deliver performance wise, great sound quality, even better than a pair of £70 Sony headphones I used to have. I highly recommend them, especially if you haven't got a great deal of money to spend. They're lovely and comfy too. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 30 (1,826 Views)
Level 6

Playstation Staff

milkster1001 wrote:

Having good headphones definitely makes a difference, without a doubt, and I have a feeling it may come down to what game you're playing as well. I've found, that with Unit 13, if you go into Audio when you pause the game, then untick the Headphones box, and tick the Speakers box, you'll notice the sound volume increase by a significant amount, makes a huge difference when using headphones. I only play Unit 13 at just over half volume, and it's perfect, loud enough, crisp and clear. So I don't know if the same applies with other games, you'll have to check it out.

I use Sennheiser HD 201 headphones, literally got them the other day off Amazon for £15.99, incredible price, I really wasn't expecting much at all, I thought they were going to sound a little tinny, but they really do deliver performance wise, great sound quality, even better than a pair of £70 Sony headphones I used to have. I highly recommend them, especially if you haven't got a great deal of money to spend. They're lovely and comfy too. :Thumbs:

Sennheisser headphones are most definitely the way to go. Nearly all Sony's own headphones are absolutely terrible even at the £200 mark and don't get me started on the awful Skull Candy efforts or the massively over priced tinny pieces of poop that Dr Dre endorses that all the kids think are so cool at the moment.

Weather it's for gaming, listening to MP3 player, bedroom DJing, music production and DJing in clubs with a 50K WATT Funktion 1 sound system then Sennheisser have a pair of headphones for the job. Even the trusty old HD 25 SPs are great for club DJing but still great for the Vita.

The only problem is using the adapter so you can fit the 1/4 inch jack into the 3.5mm Vita headphone output but I'll put up with that for excellent crisp neck snapping treble and ground rumbling bass anyday and like you pointed out you don't have to pay the earth for a pair you just need to look around and do a bit of research :Thumbs: 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 30 (1,814 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

I bought a simple pair of £35 Skullcandy headphones and can nearly deafen myself using the Vita.I suppose it depends which specific model, and not just the manufacturer.

I don't need a surround sound experience or £984846816 headphones. Just something I can hear my Vita with, that doesn't cost a bomb and won't break before I open the packet. The Skull Candy ones do that just fine, and are better than the cheaper £10 ear buds. That's all I ask of them.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 30 (1,812 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

strangeplaice wrote:
I bought a simple pair of £35 Skullcandy headphones and can nearly deafen myself using the Vita.I suppose it depends which specific model, and not just the manufacturer.

I don't need a surround sound experience or £984846816 headphones. Just something I can hear my Vita with, that doesn't cost a bomb and won't break before I open the packet. The Skull Candy ones do that just fine, and are better than the cheaper £10 ear buds. That's all I ask of them.

To be fair my Skull Candy remark was a bit un-called for as they do make some fairly decent headphones. I do however stand firmly by my slating of all of Sony's headphones though :smileywink:

"Beats". That's the name/brand of the over priced, Dr Dre, cool with the kids headphones :Music:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 30 (1,811 Views)
0 Kudos