02 Rank
Progress
Accepted Solution

'Near' not working

[ Edited ]
481 Replies 15,252 Views edited 10-04-2012
22 Feb 2012
By NostrobotUK

This morning I picked up a 3G PS Vita - everything is fine and dandy, except for the 'Near' feature. I tried it with both using Wifi and 3G and in both cases I get an error saying that the data cannot be retreived.

I have enabled location in parental controls.

Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

SuperFastZombie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
SuperFastZombie
Accepted Solution

Hi guys,

It seems that the Near issues experienced following launch have been rectified with the 1.66 system software update.

If any of you are still having problems please let me know or update this thread.

Cheers,

SFZ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: 'Near' not working

All Replies

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Exaudias

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Exaudias
Accepted Solution

I've had problems with Near/Maps since the 15th. Updated Skyhook multiple times with multiple local locations and now maps seems to work fine with my wifi, and I also went ahead and tagged my mobile hotspot to the same location, which also works.

Now my problem is Near. At some point it gathered some location info, but when it tries to use it, gives back an error. Now that my wifi can be located, Near still can't find me, uses the old data and gives me an error. I'm wary about restoring it, does it just restore it to the way it was when I first turned it on? Do you think this will fix it? Anything I should be worried about happening?

Also what is with the blue circle that fills up around the Near compass thing you press? It's about 3/4 the way around now...

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MartinSpoon

80%
02 Rank
Progress
MartinSpoon
Accepted Solution

I did a full system restore of my Vita, and that got Near working!

Unfortunately, WipeOut seems to be broken again...

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ranga2233

60%
02 Rank
Progress
ranga2233
Accepted Solution

YES but no near found my location but Only sad an error ocoured 1/4 of the near button  is blue i changed that people can see my ID try that 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Makinen

39%
02 Rank
Progress
Makinen
Accepted Solution

2 weeks in and the error still exists for me. I added my location to skyhook about 4-5 days ago and still nothing.

There is a ring around the near refersh button that turns blue - has anyone noticed this? It fills up just like a clock so last week it would end at 2:00 and this week its ends at 4:00. I know its a weird analygy with a clock but thats the best way i found to explain it.

Whoever is having this issue - please take note of this and write back as to whether yours does this too. My near app says that it cant find my location so it will use an older location and right after that i get a message saying "an error has occured".

My maps have never worked since day one. I get an error message starting with C2-.... (cant remember the whole thing)

ps. I'm located in Toronto, Canada

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

skullkeeper

49%
02 Rank
Progress
skullkeeper
Accepted Solution

Yeah, same same. I am in Bristol UK. Nothing since go.

I got it once at my Moms in Clevedon but never again.

Do you think its worth swapping the wifi for a 3g?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Exaudias

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Exaudias
Accepted Solution

Mine can obtain my location now. I only removed the memory card to do a system restore, but I figured I should do a backup before and put it back in. Unfortunately it still gives me an error when uploading. Doubt it's a network problem on my side.

Near compass is 90% full now.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Dratsabius

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Dratsabius
Accepted Solution
Ok to report back. Vita 3G version. Near can't find my location. Maps give me the error code. I am online via wifi or 3G. Near worked once a few days ago. Never again since then (and it found me a few streets over from my real location). Maps also worked at that time. Since then maps always found me in the location a few streets over. I just did a full system restore. Near is still unable to find my location. Maps is back to the error code (clearly having just saved my location from the one time it worked). I registered my router on skyhook the day after vita released.

I await the firmware update that fixes this.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BoonyBoy

60%
02 Rank
Progress
BoonyBoy
Accepted Solution
Restored my Vita twice now but it still hasn't helped to get near working
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Roneberg

51%
02 Rank
Progress
Roneberg
Accepted Solution

I'm doing a restore right now, its my 2 time i do this... why dont sony just say something??????????

I am a gamer for more than 20 years, and i am one of thouse stupid guys that buy games and consoles, day one! what a ass i am!!!

Is it to hard to say: " we do have a problem, you guys dont have to restore your ps vitas, we might have a solution in the next week" ??? is it really to hard???? i have a 80 euro smartphone that can get my location inside my house... how do you guys want me to feel!

Sorry about my bad english, but im portuguese!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TRIPLEXBEE

94%
03 Rank
Progress
TRIPLEXBEE
Accepted Solution

I have tried all tips offered here on this thread and none have worked. I even went outside!!!

Just posting to keep this thread at the top of the boards as that is where it needs to stay until we have a solution.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Dratsabius

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Dratsabius
Accepted Solution
Thanks SuperFastZombie! Just to update I have a sim card for the vita and now maps finds me every time (although a few blocks over from my real house...?). Near worked once last night but not since. Took it to work and still no luck. Will try a restore. Have registered on skyhook.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CrossMediaBar

40%
02 Rank
Progress
CrossMediaBar
Accepted Solution

Several days after regestering my MAC address on Skyhook, and after a PS Vita restore, It still doesn't work. Will try in a few days again to see.

Sony is really dropping the ball here.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

existenz1

94%
05 Rank
Progress
existenz1
Accepted Solution

did they pull gps from both models at the last minute perchance.. like they pulled bc from ps3 at launch. there is no reason for near not to be spot on on 3g model if it has gps. Sony if you have misled us again i am going to make a deal of it

I have 3g model

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TKC-Muzzer

• Beta Tester
90%
03 Rank
Progress
TKC-Muzzer
Accepted Solution

existenz1 wrote:

did they pull gps from both models at the last minute perchance.. like they pulled bc from ps3 at launch. there is no reason for near not to be spot on on 3g model if it has gps. Sony if you have misled us again i am going to make a deal of it

I have 3g model

My PS3 had bc at launch.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

TKC-Muzzer

• Beta Tester
90%
03 Rank
Progress
TKC-Muzzer
Accepted Solution
Why are people resetting their Vita's. The mods have said there is an issue and Sony are looking into it. It's obvious it's a widespread issue so is more than likely software related, even firmware related.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

MartinSpoon

80%
02 Rank
Progress
MartinSpoon
Accepted Solution

@TKC-Muzzer be that as it may, Near wasn't working for me, I did a factory reset, and it has been working for the past 24 hours.  But as I've said before, there's more than one issue going on here - my Vita had no problem locating itself, it just couldn't upload the data to the PSN.  It may be that those people who are suffering the 'can't find location' problem are NOT helped by a reset.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bigg_chubbs

43%
02 Rank
Progress
bigg_chubbs
Accepted Solution

I couldn't obtain a location on mine til yesterday. I added my location to Skyhook 3 days ago then yesterday I walked all around my house trying to find my location on Near and finally got it to work. It only works in my bathroom of all places, but it works every single time I take the Vita in there to update. Last night I took it out for a drive and when I got home I updated it and got a whole bunch of info from the trip and some game presents.

Not sure if my settings make any dif but I have Bluetooth off, and every setting in Near is set to on.

Also I have wi-fi version.

Anyway just thought I'd share in case it helps anyone else.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TRIPLEXBEE

94%
03 Rank
Progress
TRIPLEXBEE
Accepted Solution

Still nothing for me. Maps, nada, Near nada, Photo's ditto.

Ggggrrrr.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution
I have a slightly different issue...

Near works, it finds me on the map (well, showing as next door, but close enough :))

However - when doing the out and about radar thing, it is convinced that I'm "not sharing my online ID" - despite me having the "share online ID" option ticked.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

TTDegs wrote:
I have a slightly different issue...

Near works, it finds me on the map (well, showing as next door, but close enough :))

However - when doing the out and about radar thing, it is convinced that I'm "not sharing my online ID" - despite me having the "share online ID" option ticked.

Any ideas?

and as if by some sort of magic - possibly due to my Vita getting all embarrased about being mentioned in here - it is now working :D

Not sure what I did to fix it - went through all the security settings I could find (which did include creating a PIN code for the security settings from the main [not Near] Vita settings screen), and it just worked :)

0 Kudos

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

SuperFastZombie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
SuperFastZombie
Accepted Solution

Update:

No further info atm, this is still been investigated and I will update this thread when I have some feedback.

SFZ

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel