Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Accepted Solution

'Near' not working

[ Edited ]
481 Replies 14,333 Views edited 10-04-2012

This morning I picked up a 3G PS Vita - everything is fine and dandy, except for the 'Near' feature. I tried it with both using Wifi and 3G and in both cases I get an error saying that the data cannot be retreived.

I have enabled location in parental controls.

Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

SuperFastZombie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SuperFastZombie
Accepted Solution

Hi guys,

It seems that the Near issues experienced following launch have been rectified with the 1.66 system software update.

If any of you are still having problems please let me know or update this thread.

Cheers,

SFZ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: 'Near' not working

/16

TogusaRusso

32%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TogusaRusso
Accepted Solution

I manage to got my "Near" to work. Used my SE Ray as mobile wi-fi spot and my Vita finaly started to get coordinates and even work as compass in Map app even thru 3G and not thru android phone. 

But now there's another problem. "You not share your network ID" I checked all settings -- Near settings, parent controls and SEN privacy settings. Still doesn't work! Any help? Does this function require memory card installed, because I'm still waiting for one?

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

TogusaRusso

32%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TogusaRusso
Accepted Solution

Oh, wait. Now I get it. I played Vita training game and I can see information abot this event on my map. With my Online ID.

0 Kudos

/16

SeparateEntity

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SeparateEntity
Accepted Solution

So, I managed to get my wi-fi Vita to find my location (after adding my access point to the Skyhook database), but now I have a different problem. My out-and-about history can only pick up data from my own Vita. The player count increases by 5 each time, and the out-and-about chart only shows games that I've played. This means I can't 'discover' new players or games (and probably not game gifts either).

The radar works just fine, however. It finds a few nearby players, and touching one of their avatars shows games they've played recently. The issue is that they're not being added to the charts, or game discoveries.

Maybe it's because when my Vita syncs from the same spot, it doesn't delete my previous sync data from the servers, and the previous data just adds up.

0 Kudos

/16

Exaudias

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Exaudias
Accepted Solution
An interesting, but very annoying thing I've discovered is that the mobile hotspot address changes (should've known)...I tried it at work and nothing...tried it when I got home and it works again. I wonder if the android app from SkyHook can figure out WiFi access points so I can add these spots.

On the plus side, I picked up a new location to or from work, and that filled in a portion of the compass until I synced again.
0 Kudos

/16

Roneberg

51%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Roneberg
Accepted Solution

I have come to some conclutions... yesterday i went to a friends house and in a 4 floor building, near, maps and photo locations worked just perfect. it located in 2/3 secunds...

In my house, just 8-10 kms away... i just cant get a fix on my location... i have to get outside and it locates me 30 kms away!

In my freinds house it was impossible for it to get a gps fix in 2/3 secunds in doors. and we didnt added is router's MAC to skyhook... so i think the problem must be in the port's that diferent routers must have open for this apps to work correctly!

What do you guys think?

p.s. sorry about my english, im from portugal!

0 Kudos

/16

X-Spitfire

48%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
X-Spitfire
Accepted Solution

I hoped the maintenance will fix "An error has occurred." How wrong was I.

Doing a system restore without guarantee it won't happen again isn't really an option for me. This and NP-2244-2 (which still isn't fixed by now) made me feel a bit irritated bout my Vita honestly.

0 Kudos

/16

Exaudias

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Exaudias
Accepted Solution

X-Spitfire wrote:

I hoped the maintenance will fix "An error has occurred." How wrong was I.

Doing a system restore without guarantee it won't happen again isn't really an option for me. This and NP-2244-2 (which still isn't fixed by now) made me feel a bit irritated bout my Vita honestly.

Why is doing a system restore without guarantee not an option? Sync trohpies, deactivate, restore, reactivate, test. For the WiFi versions, if you can get located using Maps and get an error on Near, restoring will most likely fix it.

If you can't be located, go to skyhook, find your APs MAC address using the programs they suggested, and register your AP through them.

0 Kudos

/16

jonesy-vita

48%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jonesy-vita
Accepted Solution

Since I have registered my Internet box mac address with Skyhook, Near works perfectly for me. But I hope it will soon be an official Sony answer to Near problems, because a lot of people I know still can't obtain their location data. :Shame:

0 Kudos

/16

SakuraX3

27%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SakuraX3
Accepted Solution
Tried connecting to other hotspots including the one from work and two different public wifi hotspots, gives me the 'Could not obtain data for you location' message in Near. At work, Map works fine but Near still has that problem. At home, both apps work fine. It's really annoying since I can only use Near at home and nowhere else. Sony should really fix this!!
0 Kudos

/16

Shimoza

87%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Shimoza
Accepted Solution

I picked up a 3G PS Vita today - everything is fine except for the 'Near' feature. I tried it with both using Wifi and 3G and in both cases I get an error saying that the data cannot be retreived.

0 Kudos

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Типа мой бложек
/16

EasyTiger1978

48%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
EasyTiger1978
Accepted Solution

Welcome to the club

0 Kudos

/16

arashi_85

78%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
arashi_85
Accepted Solution

A restore fixed my problems but did lead to an interesting glitch. I have apparantly walked 1, 196, 077 mile in one day! :Lol:. That's a long walk from my bedroom to my living room! ROFL!

0 Kudos

/16

quidditys_shore

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
quidditys_shore
Accepted Solution

well i've been without near for 4 days now. it was working perfrectly since day 1 on my wifi vita (it worked at home & out & about using my xperia play as a wifi hotspot)

it says it gets my location but when sending says an error has occurred.

i reset settings which didnt work so am currently backing it up to my ps3 & am then going to restore the vita system.

PS is the number of players supposed to keep going up & up? as i used it mainly at home i thought it should just keep saying say 10 people, but each time i think its just adding them on again & again so am up to about 200!

EDIT system restore didnt work :(

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

acridweasel

• Beta Tester
94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
acridweasel
Accepted Solution

Did a system restore and it didn't help, but 6 days after regsitering my MAC address with Skyhook it works perfectly.

I have done the same for when I visit my parents, but I can't help but think that this is a bit of a waste of time for people with a WiFi-only version (like mine) and in an area with poor Skyhook coverage.

The website says it should cover my area, but that clearly wasn't the case...

0 Kudos

/16

Inpending_Doom

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Inpending_Doom
Accepted Solution

Near isn't workin for me either i get "An Error has occured" it doesnt give any codes or any thing near used to work i have tried reseting the vita using 3g only and wifi same thing

0 Kudos

/16

ctsag

52%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ctsag
Accepted Solution
I think it really needs to be established that we're dealing with two major issues here :

1. You get a location data cannot be obtained error, in which it has been suggested that registering with skyhook would help.
2. You get an error has occured message, in which case reseting to factory defaults after properly backing up has been suggested to help and as far as I can gather, is the standard answer from sony tech support at the moment.

There is absolutely no reason for people of the one category to try the solution for the other category. There's nothing to suggest that if you get an error has occured message will be solved by registering with skyhook. You are already being located properly, that is not your issue, your issue is probably a software bug related to how near processes past location data. Exactly because by all indication this HAS to be a software error and because resetting your device every once in a while is not and should not be acceptable consumer behavior, this will be fixed by Sony as soon as possible, I'm pretty sure of it, so just wait a few days, I know near is nice, but play the games, have fun with the rest of the device and just give it some time. Every newly released software is bound to have problems, cut them some slack.

Respectively, if you can't get located, reseting to factory defaults will probably not help. Don't go into the trouble of backing up and resetting for nothing. Go with the skyhook solution.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cringles88
Accepted Solution

Skyhook didn't work for me either....

But it does work in other locations, just not my house. So could be a router issue to. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

scoframatt

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
scoframatt
Accepted Solution

Any update from anyone on near not working. Workd fine at work, but when I gewt home, can not find my location. Lots of people seem to have this problem, but nobody actually answering what to do about it. Any omne heard from Sony on an official answer as to why Near does not work?

0 Kudos

/16

Roneberg

51%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Roneberg
Accepted Solution

near works prefectly in my brothers home, in is bassement... but not in my on! it must be a router issue!

0 Kudos

/16

Exaudias

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Exaudias
Accepted Solution

You shouldn't be doing a proper backup and restoring from the backup, if anyone has done that. First it takes a hell of a lot of time, second, you are not refreshing Near which is the point of a system restore.

You only need to copy games/saves just in case.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cringles88
Accepted Solution

Exaudias wrote:

You only need to copy games/saves just in case.

You can't do this on the Vita. You have no choice but to back up everything & take the long road.

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel