Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Accepted Solution

'Near' not working

[ Edited ]
481 Replies 14,331 Views edited 10-04-2012

This morning I picked up a 3G PS Vita - everything is fine and dandy, except for the 'Near' feature. I tried it with both using Wifi and 3G and in both cases I get an error saying that the data cannot be retreived.

I have enabled location in parental controls.

Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

SuperFastZombie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SuperFastZombie
Accepted Solution

Hi guys,

It seems that the Near issues experienced following launch have been rectified with the 1.66 system software update.

If any of you are still having problems please let me know or update this thread.

Cheers,

SFZ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: 'Near' not working

/16

mxk1000

53%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mxk1000
Accepted Solution
Not working for me on my ps vita wifi. On 1.67. But never worked before then either. Registered my router on skyhook two weeks ago, still the same issue. Could not obtain data for your location when using wifi. I can get it to work if I use my phone as a hot spot though, but my signal sucks at home and is impossible to use it as a hot spot there
0 Kudos

MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
Could everyone who is still having the issues state which device they're using?

I'm pretty sure it's only Wifi users now from earlier posts and from friends.
0 Kudos

/16

ranga2233

60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ranga2233
Accepted Solution
my doesnt work After both updates i have a wifi model

Are you still working on it or are you saying that the update fix some peoples problem o deal with it
0 Kudos

MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution

ranga2233 wrote:
my doesnt work After both updates i have a wifi model

Are you still working on it or are you saying that the update fix some peoples problem o deal with it

They're constantly working on fixes. ;)

0 Kudos

/16

bushdoctor777

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bushdoctor777
Accepted Solution

I have the wifi model and it is still not working with 1.67

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

RabidWalker

• Beta Tester
88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RabidWalker
Accepted Solution

bushdoctor777 wrote:

I have the wifi model and it is still not working with 1.67

Hi bushdocter,

Just to clarify you have tried the Skyhook method of putting the IP address of the router on their website? It can take up to 4 weeks for the IP to be registered however.

Rabid

0 Kudos

/16

Phantom_Blaze

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Phantom_Blaze
Accepted Solution

You guys are supposed to be professional, you are supposed to fix this problem which is a part of your software without inconviencing your customers, yet still the only absurd fix you do not even understand. 

You do not fix this by "putting the IP address of the router on their website", you are supposed to enter your mac address for your router.

Quote : "Although MAC addresses themselves don't include information about the hardware's physical location, several large searchable online databases associate public hotspots with their MAC addresses, leading to concerns that hackers could somehow take advantage of this information."
Mind, for registering with skyhook this is giving them your hardware's physical location.
0 Kudos

MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution

Phantom_Blaze wrote:

You guys are supposed to be professional, you are supposed to fix this problem which is a part of your software without inconviencing your customers, yet still the only absurd fix you do not even understand. 

You do not fix this by "putting the IP address of the router on their website", you are supposed to enter your mac address for your router.

Quote : "Although MAC addresses themselves don't include information about the hardware's physical location, several large searchable online databases associate public hotspots with their MAC addresses, leading to concerns that hackers could somehow take advantage of this information."
Mind, for registering with skyhook this is giving them your hardware's physical location.

No need to have a dig at them! They're only trying to help. Just like myself and everyone else here. They're not obliged to post at all here, and they're doing so to help, so don't talk down to them. It's not RabidWalkers fault your "near" isn't working. He's Technical Support, not Sony itself.

Anyone reading this thread looking to set up SkyHook will find instructions easily. It is explained on their website in a simple manner and can be done straight from here. It takes up to 4 weeks for the info to be applied though.

The fear of hackers locating the router is ridiculous tbh. Using near, you're publicly posting your location to everyone. In using near you've already broadcast your location over the internet. :\ If you don't want people to know where you are or have been. Don't use near. Simples ;)

0 Kudos

/16

Phantom_Blaze

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Phantom_Blaze
Accepted Solution
Ok. Registered with Skyhook and works fine. I still think the vita should do this automatically.
0 Kudos

MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution

Phantom_Blaze wrote:
Ok. Registered with Skyhook and works fine. I still think the vita should do this automatically.

This would probably result in people setting public locations incorrectly and be abused for it's simplicity. The fact people have to go and look for the mac address is good as it is just inconvenient enough to stop abuse, but still allow people to easily set it up :)

0 Kudos

/16

Pin-Pin-Ire

96%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pin-Pin-Ire
Accepted Solution

strangeplaice wrote:

Phantom_Blaze wrote:

This would probably result in people setting public locations incorrectly and be abused for it's simplicity. The fact people have to go and look for the mac address is good as it is just inconvenient enough to stop abuse, but still allow people to easily set it up :)

If Near is unable to get your location, I wish there was an option where you could manually place your location on a map.

After re-registering this morning and trying for over an hour to get a location, Near was able to find a location. If it takes this much effort in the future, I won't bother with Near.

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution

Pin-Pin-Ire wrote:

strangeplaice wrote:

Phantom_Blaze wrote:

If Near is unable to get your location, I wish there was an option where you could manually place your location on a map.

After re-registering this morning and trying for over an hour to get a location, Near was able to find a location. If it takes this much effort in the future, I won't bother with Near.

That'd be handy, though could again be abused to grab items from places you aren't near. 

0 Kudos

/16

bushdoctor777

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bushdoctor777
Accepted Solution
Hi RabidWalker
I registered my MAC address at skyhook today and the problem was instantly fixed.Maps and Near work fine now
0 Kudos

/16

bushdoctor777

64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bushdoctor777
Accepted Solution

Registered my MAC address with skyhook and the problem was instantly resolved.

0 Kudos

/16

jonesy-vita

48%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jonesy-vita
Accepted Solution

Still working at home, but when I go to my parents' Near is finding me in the south of France... they actually live in the north, miles away !

0 Kudos

Re : 'Near' not working

MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
If you're on a wifi connection, this may be because someone has set their location wrong to throw you off. Set your own Wifi correctly using SkyHook to rectify this ;)
0 Kudos

Re : 'Near' not working

/16

GRANDESBIG

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
GRANDESBIG
Accepted Solution

I have the same problem, my PSVITA doesn't get my location data in Near, also in Maps and Foursquare, i don't know if the problem is because im from Mexico or not, but if it is, does any knows when is going to be accesible for us?

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
Are you using a WiFi Vita? If so, then read the last few posts of mine here to see how to resolve the issue. ;)
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Pilksflyer

• Beta Tester
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Pilksflyer
Accepted Solution
my near app still doesn't work,it still says im 160 miles away in south Wales.
0 Kudos

MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
Try resubmitting your SkyHook details.
0 Kudos

/16

Simmo2K

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Simmo2K
Accepted Solution

WOW... i just submitted my info to SkyHook wireless and Near started working straight away.. thanks for the help guys.

0 Kudos

PlayStation 3 (500GB Hybrid SSD)
PlayStation Vita (32GB)
50" Samsung PS50C7000 Full HD 3DTV
Pioneer HTPLX70 Full-HD Surround Sound
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel