Support

PS Vita Support

PS Vita Support

Level 13

Re: 'Near' not working

Phantom_Blaze wrote:

You guys are supposed to be professional, you are supposed to fix this problem which is a part of your software without inconviencing your customers, yet still the only absurd fix you do not even understand. 

You do not fix this by "putting the IP address of the router on their website", you are supposed to enter your mac address for your router.

Quote : "Although MAC addresses themselves don't include information about the hardware's physical location, several large searchable online databases associate public hotspots with their MAC addresses, leading to concerns that hackers could somehow take advantage of this information."
Mind, for registering with skyhook this is giving them your hardware's physical location.

No need to have a dig at them! They're only trying to help. Just like myself and everyone else here. They're not obliged to post at all here, and they're doing so to help, so don't talk down to them. It's not RabidWalkers fault your "near" isn't working. He's Technical Support, not Sony itself.

Anyone reading this thread looking to set up SkyHook will find instructions easily. It is explained on their website in a simple manner and can be done straight from here. It takes up to 4 weeks for the info to be applied though.

The fear of hackers locating the router is ridiculous tbh. Using near, you're publicly posting your location to everyone. In using near you've already broadcast your location over the internet. :\ If you don't want people to know where you are or have been. Don't use near. Simples :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 431 of 480 (879 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Registered my MAC address with skyhook and the problem was instantly resolved.

Please use plain text.
Message 432 of 480 (866 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Hi RabidWalker
I registered my MAC address at skyhook today and the problem was instantly fixed.Maps and Near work fine now
Please use plain text.
Message 433 of 480 (865 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Ok. Registered with Skyhook and works fine. I still think the vita should do this automatically.
Please use plain text.
Message 434 of 480 (832 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Phantom_Blaze wrote:
Ok. Registered with Skyhook and works fine. I still think the vita should do this automatically.

This would probably result in people setting public locations incorrectly and be abused for it's simplicity. The fact people have to go and look for the mac address is good as it is just inconvenient enough to stop abuse, but still allow people to easily set it up :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 435 of 480 (829 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

strangeplaice wrote:

Phantom_Blaze wrote:

This would probably result in people setting public locations incorrectly and be abused for it's simplicity. The fact people have to go and look for the mac address is good as it is just inconvenient enough to stop abuse, but still allow people to easily set it up :smileyhappy:

If Near is unable to get your location, I wish there was an option where you could manually place your location on a map.

After re-registering this morning and trying for over an hour to get a location, Near was able to find a location. If it takes this much effort in the future, I won't bother with Near.

Please use plain text.
Message 436 of 480 (824 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Pin-Pin-Ire wrote:

strangeplaice wrote:

Phantom_Blaze wrote:

If Near is unable to get your location, I wish there was an option where you could manually place your location on a map.

After re-registering this morning and trying for over an hour to get a location, Near was able to find a location. If it takes this much effort in the future, I won't bother with Near.

That'd be handy, though could again be abused to grab items from places you aren't near. 

Please use plain text.
Message 437 of 480 (810 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Re : 'Near' not working

Still working at home, but when I go to my parents' Near is finding me in the south of France... they actually live in the north, miles away !

Please use plain text.
Message 438 of 480 (645 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Re : 'Near' not working

If you're on a wifi connection, this may be because someone has set their location wrong to throw you off. Set your own Wifi correctly using SkyHook to rectify this :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Message 439 of 480 (643 Views)
0 Kudos

I have the same problem, my PSVITA doesn't get my location data in Near, also in Maps and Foursquare, i don't know if the problem is because im from Mexico or not, but if it is, does any knows when is going to be accesible for us?

Please use plain text.
Message 440 of 480 (516 Views)
0 Kudos