Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: 'Near' not working

Since I have registered my Internet box mac address with Skyhook, Near works perfectly for me. But I hope it will soon be an official Sony answer to Near problems, because a lot of people I know still can't obtain their location data. :Shame:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 281 of 481 (621 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Tried connecting to other hotspots including the one from work and two different public wifi hotspots, gives me the 'Could not obtain data for you location' message in Near. At work, Map works fine but Near still has that problem. At home, both apps work fine. It's really annoying since I can only use Near at home and nowhere else. Sony should really fix this!!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 282 of 481 (616 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

A restore fixed my problems but did lead to an interesting glitch. I have apparantly walked 1, 196, 077 mile in one day! :Lol:. That's a long walk from my bedroom to my living room! ROFL!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 283 of 481 (607 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

well i've been without near for 4 days now. it was working perfrectly since day 1 on my wifi vita (it worked at home & out & about using my xperia play as a wifi hotspot)

it says it gets my location but when sending says an error has occurred.

i reset settings which didnt work so am currently backing it up to my ps3 & am then going to restore the vita system.

PS is the number of players supposed to keep going up & up? as i used it mainly at home i thought it should just keep saying say 10 people, but each time i think its just adding them on again & again so am up to about 200!

EDIT system restore didnt work :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 284 of 481 (569 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Did a system restore and it didn't help, but 6 days after regsitering my MAC address with Skyhook it works perfectly.

I have done the same for when I visit my parents, but I can't help but think that this is a bit of a waste of time for people with a WiFi-only version (like mine) and in an area with poor Skyhook coverage.

The website says it should cover my area, but that clearly wasn't the case...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 285 of 481 (561 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Near isn't workin for me either i get "An Error has occured" it doesnt give any codes or any thing near used to work i have tried reseting the vita using 3g only and wifi same thing

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 286 of 481 (558 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I think it really needs to be established that we're dealing with two major issues here :

1. You get a location data cannot be obtained error, in which it has been suggested that registering with skyhook would help.
2. You get an error has occured message, in which case reseting to factory defaults after properly backing up has been suggested to help and as far as I can gather, is the standard answer from sony tech support at the moment.

There is absolutely no reason for people of the one category to try the solution for the other category. There's nothing to suggest that if you get an error has occured message will be solved by registering with skyhook. You are already being located properly, that is not your issue, your issue is probably a software bug related to how near processes past location data. Exactly because by all indication this HAS to be a software error and because resetting your device every once in a while is not and should not be acceptable consumer behavior, this will be fixed by Sony as soon as possible, I'm pretty sure of it, so just wait a few days, I know near is nice, but play the games, have fun with the rest of the device and just give it some time. Every newly released software is bound to have problems, cut them some slack.

Respectively, if you can't get located, reseting to factory defaults will probably not help. Don't go into the trouble of backing up and resetting for nothing. Go with the skyhook solution.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 287 of 481 (544 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Skyhook didn't work for me either....

But it does work in other locations, just not my house. So could be a router issue to. 

Check out my Podcast. The Fellaship Podcast.
TFP On iTunes

TFP On Facebook
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 288 of 481 (540 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Any update from anyone on near not working. Workd fine at work, but when I gewt home, can not find my location. Lots of people seem to have this problem, but nobody actually answering what to do about it. Any omne heard from Sony on an official answer as to why Near does not work?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 289 of 481 (524 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

near works prefectly in my brothers home, in is bassement... but not in my on! it must be a router issue!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 290 of 481 (449 Views)
0 Kudos