02 Rank
Progress
Accepted Solution

'Near' not working

[ Edited ]
481 Replies 15,283 Views edited 10-04-2012
22 Feb 2012
By NostrobotUK

This morning I picked up a 3G PS Vita - everything is fine and dandy, except for the 'Near' feature. I tried it with both using Wifi and 3G and in both cases I get an error saying that the data cannot be retreived.

I have enabled location in parental controls.

Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

SuperFastZombie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
SuperFastZombie
Accepted Solution

Hi guys,

It seems that the Near issues experienced following launch have been rectified with the 1.66 system software update.

If any of you are still having problems please let me know or update this thread.

Cheers,

SFZ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: 'Near' not working

All Replies

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Roneberg

51%
02 Rank
Progress
Roneberg
Accepted Solution

no more info?!!! no more info??? i go and buy my ps vita day one, like my ps3, psp, ps2 and ps1 and this is what sony has got to say true, faithfull fans? its a shame...

more than a week and no info, not a bit!!!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TTDegs

93%
04 Rank
Progress
TTDegs
Accepted Solution

Roneberg wrote:

no more info?!!! no more info??? i go and buy my ps vita day one, like my ps3, psp, ps2 and ps1 and this is what sony has got to say true, faithfull fans? its a shame...

more than a week and no info, not a bit!!!

whilst in NO way looking to belittle the issue (I found it frustrating enough with just my 'not sending ID' problem!), I guess this is going to be a bit difficult for Sony to sort out.

I'd like to think that there was a fair amount of testing done with Near pre launch - and given the fact that for a lot of people it does work, that would seem to be the case.

Short of finding a friend with a working Near Vita, and asking them to bring it round to yours to see if it still work (ruling out wifi / your internet), I'm not quite sure how Sony will even go about working out quite what the problem is :(

0 Kudos

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

jonesy-vita

48%
02 Rank
Progress
jonesy-vita
Accepted Solution

I'm happy to announce that Near is working for the first time at home three or four days after my Skyhook registration ! My Vita wasn't able to get my location info (WiFi version), but it's now done !

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Roneberg

51%
02 Rank
Progress
Roneberg
Accepted Solution
and did you tried several times? that is good news! Im soooo mad with this situation! :(
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Cringles88
Accepted Solution

Mine still isn't working. Skyhook never got to back to me. I'm not that fussed now. I've tried it a few times at other locations. It's not that great of an app . I still prefer the 3DS streetpass/ spotpass stuff. Nice try though Sony!

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

oTHEPOSTMANo

24%
02 Rank
Progress
oTHEPOSTMANo
Accepted Solution

I had the same problems as most people here with near and maps. I registered with skyhook 7 days ago, and had nothing back. Near would work everywhere apart from home. still had no email from skyhook thought was a bit strange, but just now turned my vita right off (not sleep) and back on then all of a sudden worked!

Just a idea but if registerd with skyhook around same time as me trying doing the same.

hope this might help someone? cheers

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution

I think lots of people here are having different issues here and not sure which help applies to them. Here's what I think is the story so far:

Near being unable to locate you on WiFi only, can sometimes be resolved by Skyhooks as they register the location of your wifi router on the system that wifi locating works with.

Near being unable to locate using a 3G system with 3G only, can be due to poor reception or your location if you live in the back of beyond, in a tunnel or indoors without wifi.

Those who can't open the application or other apps for that matter may be able to fix by a reboot, reset, restore cycle. (Like on another mobile device).

The "An error has occurred" error after obtaining location information went away for me after a restore and I disabled updating location automatically in case the issue is the queuing of updates.

As far as makes sense, Bluetooth should be irrelevant as it often has trouble locating a headset 10cm away, and isn't used for location data as far as I know. Also, you don't need to go outside to obtain location data unless you live in a lead lined house or an enormous manor. Help any?

*restore involves similar steps to the PS3 restore where you must supply an update file from the interwebz to update to the current or latest version of PSVita firmware in recovery mode.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Poisoned-Ace

40%
02 Rank
Progress
Poisoned-Ace
Accepted Solution

I have been having the exact same problem with my WiFi Vita not obtaining location data. I NOW HAVE IT WORKING!!!!! 

For me to get mine to work I dont use the Near button in the app but i use the Near button in the live area. When i press it it starts to spin and a blue line appears around the button. When it has stopped spinning, a notification pops up saying how many players it has found.  You can then go into the app and then use it and go to the out and about page etc.

It has worked 100% of the time for me on both my home network and when using my phone as a wireless hotspot. I obviously cant guarnetee that it will work for you but give it a try.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

existenz1

94%
05 Rank
Progress
existenz1
Accepted Solution

i get you have recorded location data why not upload when i go into near . i press the blue circle thing and it says obtaining data for your location. then says location data obtained uploading..   then it says an error has occurred.            i am at home . 3g edition. blue circle stays full .  google map shows my location ok though, just near is borked. rest of system ok. been like this for days. please fix thank you

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

EasyTiger1978

48%
02 Rank
Progress
EasyTiger1978
Accepted Solution
Do a restore and i bet it will start working.it wont delete any files just puts the system back to new

Mine was doing that and it fixed it!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

skullkeeper

49%
02 Rank
Progress
skullkeeper
Accepted Solution

I've done two restore with no joy.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TRIPLEXBEE

94%
03 Rank
Progress
TRIPLEXBEE
Accepted Solution

Well well, mine has started working too. I am presuming it is because I registered with the stupidly named Skyhook about a week ago but I also made a change (although very small) to my account details which I will share just in case.

On the  Vita go to:

Settings

Playstation Network

Account Information (Enter SEN Password)

From here you can review your account settings. I noticed that my languages 1 was set to English (United States) and further down my language was set to English (United Kingdom). Which was set when we had the option during one of the last PS3 FW updates. I have now changed these to match.

Like I said earlier changing these two languages to match probably made no difference to Near working but it is a measure of the frustration we have been feeling to get the thing working that anything is worth trying.

Good luck getting yours working.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Cringles88
Accepted Solution

Restore doesn't do anything. It actually removes some of your trophies to the point, you will have to re install certain games for them to show. At least that's what happened to me.

Also the language change didn't make a difference for me. Nice idea though, I had a bit of hope :(

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

BeltaneDeath

• Beta Tester
94%
04 Rank
Progress
BeltaneDeath
Accepted Solution

heres a new one then.....i hooked my vita to the ps3 didn't start content manger but just went straight into near....it worked then into maps and that works.. curious and curious said alice

0 Kudos

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
"he's not made me Dizzee as he....?"

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Cringles88
Accepted Solution

Didn't work for me either haha.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BoonyBoy

60%
02 Rank
Progress
BoonyBoy
Accepted Solution

Cringles88 wrote:

Restore doesn't do anything. It actually removes some of your trophies to the point, you will have to re install certain games for them to show. At least that's what happened to me.

Also the language change didn't make a difference for me. Nice idea though, I had a bit of hope :(

About 2 days after doing a system restore (WiFi Vita) near still wasn't working. Then when I took it to University and connected to the wifi there it suddenly started working! It was like it didn't like my home wifi :S but after that it works everywhere now.

I have done the skyhook thing but I know its not that because my phone and my iPod Touch could get my location in seconds through wifi.

The only difference I can think of is that I did the system restore by turning the console off and then holding the PS button + power button + Right Trigger untill a menu came up and chose restore option.

I'm happy that near is working but unfortunately I noticed that, like Cringles said, doing a system restore messes up any trophies that have an ongoing counter. An example being in Rayman Origins you get trophy for completing 10 medals.

I was allready part way through the game when i did a sytem restore and ive been playing it after the restore and the trophy for getting 10 medals only just poped up. Except I have MORE than 10. This must mean the counter towards the trophy got erased.

Other things I can think this will affect are head shot counts in Uncharted and kill counts towards certain guns. I'm sure you can think of more too.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TRIPLEXBEE

94%
03 Rank
Progress
TRIPLEXBEE
Accepted Solution

Cringles88 wrote:

Hold on to that hope. It was a few hours before it worked. Server sync maybe???

Just clutching at straws on your behalf :smileyindifferent:

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

existenz1

94%
05 Rank
Progress
existenz1
Accepted Solution

existenz1 wrote:

i get you have recorded location data why not upload when i go into near . i press the blue circle thing and it says obtaining data for your location. then says location data obtained uploading..   then it says an error has occurred.            i am at home . 3g edition. blue circle stays full .  google map shows my location ok though, just near is borked. rest of system ok. been like this for days. please fix thank you

stil have this issue also out of house. It seems PSN cant take my location data. "An error has occurred" still shows at the same point as I describe above.

Did the skyhook thing over a week ago

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

arashi_85

78%
03 Rank
Progress
arashi_85
Accepted Solution

Up until yesterday I've had no problems with Near. Then all of a sudden it's stopped working. When I tried to connect to the Store it said the PSN was down for maintenance so I guessed that Near must be affected by the same issue as it needs access to your SEN ID. This morning the PSN is fine and I can use the Store with no issue but Near is still not working. It will gather the info but is unable to post anything.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CrossMediaBar

40%
02 Rank
Progress
CrossMediaBar
Accepted Solution

This is my 4th post, and a week after regestering on Skyhook (even though my area was covered with the dark green) I restored a day after regestering, then 2 days afterward and a week after regestering, I had my Vita off, turned it on then went to Near and it worked.

Hope this will help anyone.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Exaudias

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Exaudias
Accepted Solution
Got mine to work. Once maps can obtain a location and if near gives an error, do a restore and it should work. Also beforehand do a trophy sync and you will not lose anything. The only annoying thing is I have to delete tales from space and stardust to get the unlock buttons off the live area. They still work fine but whatever.
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel