02 Rank
Progress
Accepted Solution

'Near' not working

[ Edited ]
481 Replies 15,712 Views edited 10-04-2012
22 Feb 2012
By NostrobotUK

This morning I picked up a 3G PS Vita - everything is fine and dandy, except for the 'Near' feature. I tried it with both using Wifi and 3G and in both cases I get an error saying that the data cannot be retreived.

I have enabled location in parental controls.

Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

SuperFastZombie

• Beta Tester
92%
04 Rank
Progress
SuperFastZombie
Accepted Solution

Hi guys,

It seems that the Near issues experienced following launch have been rectified with the 1.66 system software update.

If any of you are still having problems please let me know or update this thread.

Cheers,

SFZ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: 'Near' not working

All Replies

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

maxi155

33%
02 Rank
Progress
maxi155
Accepted Solution

I tried this with no luck. Near was one of the main reasons that convinced me to get Vita and I'm sick tired of backing up and then restoring 20Gb (to preserve saves) every time i wish to use Near.

edit: this post was in response to EricLdn. I couldn't figure out how to quote on these forums.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

acridweasel

• Beta Tester
94%
04 Rank
Progress
acridweasel
Accepted Solution

maxi155 wrote:

I tried this with no luck. Near was one of the main reasons that convinced me to get Vita and I'm sick tired of backing up and then restoring 20Gb (to preserve saves) every time i wish to use Near.

edit: this post was in response to EricLdn. I couldn't figure out how to quote on these forums.

Hit 'Reply' on the post you want to quote and then just above the text box there is a 'Quote' button.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
As a workaround you could possibly backup individual games perhaps. Not ideal but if it saves time. It seems okay now on my 3G since my last post I haven't had an error. *touch wood*
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

EricLdn

47%
02 Rank
Progress
EricLdn
Accepted Solution

maxi155 wrote:

Sorry these steps are turning out to be a red herring. It did (and still does) work for me but, obviously, it was all a fluke. Thanks for trying anyhow: only way to know for sure! I hope this does get fixed for everyone very soon.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ctsag

52%
02 Rank
Progress
ctsag
Accepted Solution

I hear there's a system update being launched today.

Does it fix the Near errors?

Hell no :P

At least that's what I've been reading. I hope it does cause I don't think this is a minor issue that can be ignored.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
As a whole, it's a minor issue as it doesn't affect the daily running of the system. A lot of people are having issues as they haven't read the instructions properly and haven't set up their devices properly.

The legitimate problems are being looked into and as said before, we have to sit tight and wait for news. It's not easy to fix something like this, and they may well need to tear it up and start again depending on how serious the problem is.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ctsag

52%
02 Rank
Progress
ctsag
Accepted Solution

I see you're a dev. So am I. Not that it means we can properly guess the problem or anything. But I'll tell you this. When you get the "an error has occured message", if you update a number of times, say, 20-30, the problem goes away. What does that tell you as a dev? Would you say it's a serious low level flaw?

Let's say it is. If you were the dev behind this error and the customer was screaming, and it was really complicated, would you not at least provide a way to circumvent the problem, like, say, provide an option to wipe all previous pending location updates?

Or would you tell the customer to reset his/her hardware to factory defaults? Does this sound like something that would be acceptable by the customer?

I agree that the problem can potentially be really hard to solve, although I sincerely doubt it, but let's say it is.

Don't tell us to fully backup and wipe our systems every three days. And then come up with a system update that provides caps lock functionality.

Give us a more viable solution, a way to reset Near, instead of resetting our whole systems.

Yes it's not crucial. But neither was the caps lock thing, and it got fixed.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
That's a valid argument, however you also have to balance up whether it's worth investing time in a workaround when it could be better spent redeveloping the program. Also, in terms of "Near", it's the highest priority problem, but in the grand scheme of the Vita, it probably sits around the middle and perhaps the fix simply wasn't ready for this update.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Phantom_Blaze

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Phantom_Blaze
Accepted Solution

I fully agree with ctsag. The fact that this problem has occured since release day and there is still no fix is ridiculous. RabidWalker is continually replying with 'We are looking into this at the moment', but this 'moment' has been a really long time and there is still with no fix.

You are supposed to be professionals and this is really letting you down. The fact that your customers have been telling you for a long time that this problem exists and your replies have been so miniscule and mediocre is a let down. 

Suggesting to reset your vita back to factor default is by no way acceptable, or registering at Skyhook where you are opening up your router to allow anyone to access it. Todays update was a let down, how much longer are you going to let this go on without being updated?

Did you even test the app on the wifi models before you released the vita? 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution
Registering SkyHook doesn't open up your router to attacks. it assigns a location to the id obtained by devices as they query the skyhook server. That's all.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

RabidWalker

• Beta Tester
88%
04 Rank
Progress
RabidWalker
Accepted Solution

jonesy-vita wrote:

Even if it's long they could keep us aware.

Hi guys,

We are looking at fixing location issues with Near at the moment, so will update when we have more information for you.

Rabid

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

acridweasel

• Beta Tester
94%
04 Rank
Progress
acridweasel
Accepted Solution

strangeplaice wrote:
It's a big thing to fix. Give them time :) GPS, Skyhook and software for them are enormously complex! Even though it just looks like a bunch of buttons and a map, it's very complicated round the back!

That's what she said. :)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

strangeplaice

• MVP
95%
10 Rank
Progress
strangeplaice
Accepted Solution

acridweasel wrote:

strangeplaice wrote:
It's a big thing to fix. Give them time :) GPS, Skyhook and software for them are enormously complex! Even though it just looks like a bunch of buttons and a map, it's very complicated round the back!

That's what she said. :)

And that's why I don't speak D:

:P

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

OpaLSerPenT

24%
02 Rank
Progress
OpaLSerPenT
Accepted Solution
lol good thing your not an iranian scientist
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CarnageOutput

47%
02 Rank
Progress
CarnageOutput
Accepted Solution
Same problem here, other then this I'm really happy with my vita. Hope a solution comes quick
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

lastik1981

45%
02 Rank
Progress
lastik1981
Accepted Solution

Add one more to the not working list.

I bought mine at the local store (and slept only 3 hours because of it) on launch day. It's a non 3G model and its the same as many people reporting, with permissions set on, wifi acess and bluetooth on also and whatnot.

I'm having a blast with it so far (and the google maps comes in handy at my work) and I'll look forward to have this solved.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Dratsabius

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Dratsabius
Accepted Solution
In South Africa. Wifi and 3G model. All location based apps can't find my location. A guy I know also in SA has the same problem so it isn't a country thing.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Dratsabius

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Dratsabius
Accepted Solution
Omg sorry for the double post. I meant the guy I know here with another vita DOESN'T have the same problem. Can't see how to edit my last post. Apologies.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Pilksflyer

• Beta Tester
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Pilksflyer
Accepted Solution
Im near Telford atm and my phone is getting my location within 500 yards,anyone wana place a bet that the vita will.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

skullkeeper

49%
02 Rank
Progress
skullkeeper
Accepted Solution

Same as the rest of you guys. I have done a complete system restore twice, with no joy.

Viva le 3ds.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Pilksflyer

• Beta Tester
80%