02 Sep 2012

Playstation Staff

Ps Vita won't charge

[ Edited ]
34 Replies 25,959 Views edited 02-09-2012
I've had my unit for 10 days and it's been charging fine but suddenly it won't charge from the ac adaptor no matter what socket I use in my home, USB via my laptop doesn't charge either, when I plug in the system (logo face forward) nothing happens the battery icon doesn't display a charge animation like before and the light doesn't go orange, vita on or off, I've tried numerous restarts and even a factory reset but nothing.... Crappy system.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 35 (25,959 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Re: Ps Vita won't charge

My 1st of 4 Vitas did the same as this, had to go back to retailer as eventually it died as I couldn't charge it and that was the end of it.

Whatever you do if it is under 14  days (or 30 if your amazon) get it back to your retailer quick, you don't want to have to deal with the brick wall known as $ony tech support. Mine needs to go back and its going to go away for at least 2 weeks whilst they test it and eventually replace it.

Crappy system describes the Vita perfectly, Sony are letting us down on this system the potential is there in the hardware  but the implementation of software is appauling and Sony treats its customers with contempt and hatred. If it was not the only decent portable machine on the market I would have got rid of mine on the 2nd VIta out of the 4.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 35 (25,945 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Problems and Solutions

[ Edited ]

Okay let me explain something that I've recently figured out.

1: The PS Vita can be charged in two ways.

Method 1:

Pluging the PS Vita's usb cord to the AC Adapter.

If the Vita is still "on" and hasn't "shut off" you can still continue to play while it charges.

Method 2:

In order to charge via usb to PS3 or PC, your PS Vita must be off and in the system settings   the option "Charge by USB" must be checked.

2: Once the Vita has died you can not turn it on until after it has been charged  for about 20-30mins.

Here are some SOLUTIONS! To your problems.

"Test your PS Vita's USB cord."

If your Vita has died and it will not charge by plugging the PS Vita's USB to the AC Adapter (Also known as the Black Block) try plugging it into your PC, Laptop or PS3! If the orange light comes on. That indicates that the USB Adapter is working fine!

Easy 10$ Fix: The AC Adapters that come with the PS Vita are really cheap... meaning they can easily break! You can find these AC Adapters at your local Walmart or Bestbuy for about 10$. If this doesn't work you can simply return the product back to the retailer. So you don't really lose anything but saved yourself from buying another system.

"If your PS Vita doesn't charge via USB plugging into AC Adapter or Computer (Must be OFF to be charged on computer,laptop or PS3)"

Then there is a huge possibility that the USB cord is ruined or you mistakenly plugged it in wrong the Vita. If it the Icon doesn't turn Orange or flash Orange. It is indeed a clear indication that the USB wire doesn't work!    

USB Cable cost 5-15$

"Correct way to plug in the USB on PS Vita"

(Vita must be facing up and the PS logo on the usb must be facing up!)

If none of these work.

Call Customer Support or keep your receipt so incase if it does break you can return it!

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 35 (25,485 Views)

Playstation Staff

Re: Problems and Solutions

So my vita when I plug it in the oragne light flashes twice and then it does nothing.  What do I do????????

?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 35 (24,477 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Greywind_ wrote:

So my vita when I plug it in the oragne light flashes twice and then it does nothing.  What do I do????????

?

Wait for a few minutes to allow it to build up some charge, then hold power for at least 30 seconds. This should force the system to do a hard reset. Give it a try and let us know what happens!

Do this connected to AC, and not a computers USB port.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 35 (24,473 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Greywind_ wrote:

?

I got the same problem, and currently helpless. I heard if you are lucky, you can change AC Adapter, but worst, you need to call Sony for replacement.

If I'm not wrong, we both have this kind of issue, don't we:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 35 (23,892 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

If you want to try a different AC adapter you could go to your local GAME, HMV, or Blockbuster (If they're still open) and ask if you can try one of their pre-owned chargers.

They should oblige as you'll probably buy it if it works, and if not, then it's the Vita that's at fault.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 35 (23,860 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Problems and Solutions

I am currently on my 3rd PS Vita after sending two back because they wouldn't charge. Low and behold, my latest one has suddenly stopped charging too, not had it back long either. Sony have been brilliant and come to my work to collect my previous Vita's and deliver them back but will they be so obliging now the 12 months are up since I bought it?

It's really frustrating as I would be lost without my Vita on the train to and from work. it's not as if I mistreat them, I'm gentle and kind as if it were a pet and even carry a cloth with it to wipe away my dirty fingerprints.

I shall try a couple of restarts and prey it kicks in to life again otherwise yet another call to the Customer Services guys. I've still got 1/2 battery life so I can play around of Everybodys Golf tomorrow at least.   

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 35 (23,283 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: Ps Vita won't charge

Ehm just alittle thing, I tought I had a problem with the charger, tried everything switching places to charge from useing mobile adaptors and everything. 

Though this is only to those who don't have the blinking light, you might have put the charger in up side down, the ps charger needs to be facing up, it can go into the the socket both ways, so make sure its facing up and see if it charges. 

Hope it helps out some of you guys, its a common problem.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 35 (22,629 Views)

Playstation Staff

Ps Vita won't charge

I've been lucky and very glad I that I regulary back up my PS Vita. I basically rebuilt my Vita from scratch, put everything back on it and hey presto, it's charging again fine !

Really weird but I am very happy now, I'm lost without my Vita ! 

:Smile:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 35 (22,531 Views)
0 Kudos