68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

download speed slow

24 Replies 3,067 Views Created 09-06-2012

Hi, I have a 50mb connection and for some reason my vita maxes out at 4mb when testing the internet connection in the settings menu. It took me 4 hours to download reistance burning skies...

my question is, does this internet connection test only show download speed for the PSN network or is the vita not able to handle high speed internet? - my nat type is 2 which i believe is good.

Thanks,

WalterWJR

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

BlackKnightUK

93%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlackKnightUK
Accepted Solution
It's a combination of both I'm afraid. The PSN itself is slow as is the wireless connection on the Vita. My Internet connection is a maximum of 80 Megs and I get around 70 however downloading stuff on my Vita is also relatively slow. For this reason I usually just download the Vita content on my PS3 which is wired and is quite a bit faster then my Vita at downloading. I then just transfer the content over.
0 Kudos

Re: download speed slow

/16

frodouk

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
frodouk
Accepted Solution
I get full speed on my Vita and PS3.. You guys with Virgin by any chance?
0 Kudos

/16

BlackKnightUK

93%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlackKnightUK
Accepted Solution

frodouk wrote:
I get full speed on my Vita and PS3.. You guys with Virgin by any chance?
What's your typical wireless speed and what do you get on the Vita when you do an Internet connection test. I'm not saying you're lying but I find it hard to believe you're getting full speed on the Vita. And like said its not just a question of what speed you're getting as the PSN is inherently slow on both the Vita and even on a PS3 with a wired connection. My connection on my Xbox is a lot faster.
0 Kudos

/16
24%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Xenon-Sniping013
Accepted Solution

When i changed to virgin media it made everything 12times faster i

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

RAELIAN

• Beta Tester
82%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RAELIAN
Accepted Solution

Putting your PS Vita in the DMZ zone of router seems to help increase the speed of downloads.

Worth a try for anyone having download issues.

0 Kudos

Raelian Banner
/16

WalterWJR

68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WalterWJR
Accepted Solution

thanks for the info, I will try the PS3 rout. Im not one for slaying the vita, its a great little machine! - However I do believe sony need to improve there network infrastructure in gerneral, even little things like constantly needing to log into psn everytime you enter the store seem strange to me.

and yes I am with virgin :P

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

frodouk

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
frodouk
Accepted Solution
It's Virgin causing the issues mate. I used them, had the same problems. Changed ISP, all good again.
0 Kudos

/16

BlackKnightUK

93%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlackKnightUK
Accepted Solution

WalterWJR wrote:

thanks for the info, I will try the PS3 rout. Im not one for slaying the vita, its a great little machine! - However I do believe sony need to improve there network infrastructure in gerneral, even little things like constantly needing to log into psn everytime you enter the store seem strange to me.

and yes I am with virgin :P

Downloading on the PS3 should be a fair bit faster as long as it is connected via Ethernet to your router.
0 Kudos

/16

frodouk

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
frodouk
Accepted Solution
I get around 9Mb from my ISP and my PS3 downloads at about 800kbps, same as my Vita and same as my Xbox, PC, phone, etc. So pretty much full speed.
0 Kudos

/16

BlackKnightUK

93%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlackKnightUK
Accepted Solution

frodouk wrote:
I get around 9Mb from my ISP and my PS3 downloads at about 800kbps, same as my Vita and same as my Xbox, PC, phone, etc. So pretty much full speed.
For me my iPad and iPhone download a lot faster then my Vita. When I had my PS3 and Xbox on wireless they were faster then my Vita. I'm not really bothered as my PS3 is on a wired connection I prefer to just download Vita content on there and then transfer using the content manager. The only time I download directly on the Vita is if it's a very small file like a new vehicle in Motorstorm RC for example.
0 Kudos

/16

WalterWJR

68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WalterWJR
Accepted Solution

this is why your speeds are ok becuase it seems 500-800mb is the maximum vita will download from PSN

Im going to change my wireless channel on the router and see if it makes a difference

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

TINTINTB303

85%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TINTINTB303
Accepted Solution

BlackKnightUK wrote:

Downloading on the PS3 should be a fair bit faster as long as it is connected via Ethernet to your router.

Not true at all.

I have my PS3 set up wireless and get 100% signal strength.

I swapped it to a wired connection and did a test downloading the same game.

Results? Identical download speeds/times using wired and wireless PS3 connection.

As long as you can get 100% wireless signal strength then a wireless PS3 is absolutely fine and no difference in download speeds to that of a wired connection :smileywink:

The router isn't even in the same room. It's not even on the same floor.

Think I may just be lucky :smileyvery-happy:

The Vita signal strength on the other hand fluctuates between 100% and 60%. It can change from say 65% to 95% in a matter of minutes with no other device using the network and I'm sat in the same room as the PS3!! :smileyindifferent:

The main thing is that it all works and I can play games!!! :smileyvery-happy:

0 Kudos

/16

beanBAYLI55

44%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
beanBAYLI55
Accepted Solution

Im on a 40/10 package with sky, vita shows it as 12/2  downloads quite quick for me

0 Kudos

/16

BlackKnightUK

93%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlackKnightUK
Accepted Solution

WalterWJR wrote:

Hi, I have a 50mb connection and for some reason my vita maxes out at 4mb when testing the internet connection in the settings menu. It took me 4 hours to download reistance burning skies...

my question is, does this internet connection test only show download speed for the PSN network or is the vita not able to handle high speed internet? - my nat type is 2 which i believe is good.

Thanks,

WalterWJR

One thing I just realised. Are you using 802.11n for your Internet connection. Are all your wireless devices using the "n" standard. If not are they connected to the Internet at the same time as the Vita.
0 Kudos

/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

No problems with my Vita on Virgin.

I get between 8 and 10mb DL and for a hand held that very good I would have thought

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
/16

frodouk

94%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
frodouk
Accepted Solution
All depends on the contention ratios. Clearly your area is good, the OP not so good.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

davey23

• Beta Tester
98%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
davey23
Accepted Solution
My vita seems slower than I would expect - the intenet test maxes at around 13Mbps and I have BT Infinity2 which gives me over 70Mbps. My PS3 only reports a maximum of 20Mbps and that is through a wired connection. (tbh I haven't checked since the upgrade form infinity to infnity 2 so may be better now) Although I have wireless N the Vita only ever seems to connect at 54Mbps, my Macbook is connecting at 130Mbps at the same time so it isn't a slow device dragging the speed down. Just wondring if there's away to make the Vita connect at full speed - I can't see anything in the settings. I have to have the router set to b/g/n because some devices I have cannot connect to wireless N (I'm looking at you PSP 3000!)
0 Kudos

/16

BlackKnightUK

93%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlackKnightUK
Accepted Solution

davey23 wrote:
My vita seems slower than I would expect - the intenet test maxes at around 13Mbps and I have BT Infinity2 which gives me over 70Mbps. My PS3 only reports a maximum of 20Mbps and that is through a wired connection. (tbh I haven't checked since the upgrade form infinity to infnity 2 so may be better now) Although I have wireless N the Vita only ever seems to connect at 54Mbps, my Macbook is connecting at 130Mbps at the same time so it isn't a slow device dragging the speed down. Just wondring if there's away to make the Vita connect at full speed - I can't see anything in the settings. I have to have the router set to b/g/n because some devices I have cannot connect to wireless N (I'm looking at you PSP 3000!)
I have BT Infinity too with a maximum 80/20 connection of which I get around 70/16. My Vita download speed is pretty much the same and I believe so is my PS3. The online connectivity on the Vita isn't as good as it should be and that's probably the best you will get I'm afraid. I don't know if it's possible for Sony to modify the firmware to improve this or not. This is why I just download my Vita content on my PS3 and then transfer it.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
95%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

My home broadband is running at about 1 megabit per second; my Vita downloads stuff at this speed. Hurray. :|

0 Kudos

/16

WalterWJR

68%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WalterWJR
Accepted Solution
yes im using wireless N, I am mostly wired at my house with the exception of a few devices.. my netbook maxes out at 50mb no problem...
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel