Support

PS Vita Support

PS Vita Support

09 Jun 2012
By: WalterWJR Member 12 Posts
Level 2

download speed slow

24 Replies 2356 Views Created 09-06-2012

Hi, I have a 50mb connection and for some reason my vita maxes out at 4mb when testing the internet connection in the settings menu. It took me 4 hours to download reistance burning skies...

my question is, does this internet connection test only show download speed for the PSN network or is the vita not able to handle high speed internet? - my nat type is 2 which i believe is good.

Thanks,

WalterWJR

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 25 (2,356 Views)
Level 5

Re: download speed slow

It's a combination of both I'm afraid. The PSN itself is slow as is the wireless connection on the Vita. My Internet connection is a maximum of 80 Megs and I get around 70 however downloading stuff on my Vita is also relatively slow. For this reason I usually just download the Vita content on my PS3 which is wired and is quite a bit faster then my Vita at downloading. I then just transfer the content over.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 25 (2,348 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

I get full speed on my Vita and PS3.. You guys with Virgin by any chance?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 25 (2,346 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

[ Edited ]

thanks for the info, I will try the PS3 rout. Im not one for slaying the vita, its a great little machine! - However I do believe sony need to improve there network infrastructure in gerneral, even little things like constantly needing to log into psn everytime you enter the store seem strange to me.

and yes I am with virgin :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 25 (2,345 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

It's Virgin causing the issues mate. I used them, had the same problems. Changed ISP, all good again.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 25 (2,343 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

frodouk wrote:
I get full speed on my Vita and PS3.. You guys with Virgin by any chance?
What's your typical wireless speed and what do you get on the Vita when you do an Internet connection test. I'm not saying you're lying but I find it hard to believe you're getting full speed on the Vita. And like said its not just a question of what speed you're getting as the PSN is inherently slow on both the Vita and even on a PS3 with a wired connection. My connection on my Xbox is a lot faster.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 25 (2,316 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

WalterWJR wrote:

thanks for the info, I will try the PS3 rout. Im not one for slaying the vita, its a great little machine! - However I do believe sony need to improve there network infrastructure in gerneral, even little things like constantly needing to log into psn everytime you enter the store seem strange to me.

and yes I am with virgin :smileytongue:

Downloading on the PS3 should be a fair bit faster as long as it is connected via Ethernet to your router.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 25 (2,315 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

I get around 9Mb from my ISP and my PS3 downloads at about 800kbps, same as my Vita and same as my Xbox, PC, phone, etc. So pretty much full speed.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 25 (2,312 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

frodouk wrote:
I get around 9Mb from my ISP and my PS3 downloads at about 800kbps, same as my Vita and same as my Xbox, PC, phone, etc. So pretty much full speed.
For me my iPad and iPhone download a lot faster then my Vita. When I had my PS3 and Xbox on wireless they were faster then my Vita. I'm not really bothered as my PS3 is on a wired connection I prefer to just download Vita content on there and then transfer using the content manager. The only time I download directly on the Vita is if it's a very small file like a new vehicle in Motorstorm RC for example.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 25 (2,308 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

WalterWJR wrote:

Hi, I have a 50mb connection and for some reason my vita maxes out at 4mb when testing the internet connection in the settings menu. It took me 4 hours to download reistance burning skies...

my question is, does this internet connection test only show download speed for the PSN network or is the vita not able to handle high speed internet? - my nat type is 2 which i believe is good.

Thanks,

WalterWJR

One thing I just realised. Are you using 802.11n for your Internet connection. Are all your wireless devices using the "n" standard. If not are they connected to the Internet at the same time as the Vita.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 25 (2,307 Views)
0 Kudos