By xElfenLied_US

xElfenLied_US

85%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Anyone else wanting to change from Wi-Fi to 3G like me?

[ Edited ]
94 Replies 703 Views edited 19-02-2012

I want to change because I'm betting there will be features in the future that will be 3G only or something. Who else changed?

Think I'll stick with Wi-Fi though

0 Kudos
LABELS:
Не верь, не бойся, не проси

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

RotorHed

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RotorHed
Accepted Solution
Cloud saving is the main reason I opted for 3G. Not all that many games will support it at launch but I think it'll be worth it just for MLB The Show for me - ability to pull your franchise down and continue playing and then upload and continue on PS3 sounds pretty good.

Now of course you can do that with a WiFi unit too, but assuming more games support this feature going forward, I think being able to choose what to play whereever you've got a mobile phone signal is pretty valuable rather than hunting for a free wifi or trying to tether when you want to continue Game X,

Then there's the asynchronous MP and local competition with Near and games that support it like Unit 13 or Warrior's Lair (aka Ruin).

Finally, Near is potentially a great way for finding and playing people locally.

Location based stuff won't work with tethering, because the phone you use is not able to dynamically register its location so that will limit things like Near and other location based apps like T@G for example.

So, there's no strong reason to buy a 3G version but then again, this is just a game console - there's no strong reason to buy it at all. But there is further enjoyment, entertainment and convenience in the 3G version over the Wifi one - whether that is worth the additional money to you is a personal thing.

Rotor.

Re: Anyone else wanting to change from Wi-If to 3G like me?

/16

mezzor

79%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
mezzor
Accepted Solution
Well said ^^
0 Kudos

/16

BlackKnightJP

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlackKnightJP
Accepted Solution

ULTIMATE--KOPITE wrote:

Hit the nail on the head, what's the point when your phone can be used for 3G with a better browser while saving battery life for actual gaming on the PS Vita. If you are so desperate just tether it, most on here must have really decent phones if they are getting the Vita day one so can do so. It's not a matter of affording it, it's just a waste of money. It's a gaming device not a silly small games and internet device - my mobile does that and much better.

It maybe a waste of money in your opinion but it's not in mine. You may not want to use the Internet features on the go but others like me do. You obviously don't get what the 3G and Wi-Fi is for. It you don't want to get the most out of your games on the go it's your loss. I for one want access to not only the social networking but also the game related features found in titles like Warrior's Lair, LittleBigPlanet, MLB, Modnation Racers and probably many other games in the future. If you don't want the full gaming experience then so be it. Tethering is pointless as its not only impractical but it uses both the Vita's and the phones battery at the same time. Not to mention I would have to pay £5 a month more for it. I rather just spend that £5 to have a direct 3G connection. The GPS will also come in handy too. Having used both the Wi-Fi and 3G iPads for location based services the 3G model is a lot more accurate. The same will apply to the Vita.

/16

KUV1977

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KUV1977
Accepted Solution
Do you know what the 3G-features in Warrior's Lair will be? I seemed to have missed the announcement.
0 Kudos

/16

BlackKnightJP

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlackKnightJP
Accepted Solution

KUV1977 wrote:
Do you know what the 3G-features in Warrior's Lair will be? I seemed to have missed the announcement.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruin_(video_game) http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/117/1173237p1.html
0 Kudos

/16

RotorHed

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RotorHed
Accepted Solution
I can't find the interview that included this information. It was proabably one of the CES videos which had a fair bit of stuff in it. Anyway, it struck me like a fighting version of Animal Crossing 8)

Besides the dungeon crawling gameplay, you gradually build up your Lair with stuff you captured, but others can invade your Lair and try to steal stuff. 3G means you'll get to know this is about to happen whereever you are.

Personally, I don't think I'm interested because I don't like hack n slashers but some people seem quite excited for it.

Rotor.
0 Kudos

/16

BlackKnightJP

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlackKnightJP
Accepted Solution

RotorHed wrote:
I can't find the interview that included this information. It was proabably one of the CES videos which had a fair bit of stuff in it. Anyway, it struck me like a fighting version of Animal Crossing 8)

Besides the dungeon crawling gameplay, you gradually build up your Lair with stuff you captured, but others can invade your Lair and try to steal stuff. 3G means you'll get to know this is about to happen whereever you are.

Personally, I don't think I'm interested because I don't like hack n slashers but some people seem quite excited for it.

Rotor.
It's not like Animal Crossing. It's basically an action RGP like Diablo, Dungeon Siege, Dungeon Hunter Alliance, Untold Legends, Torch Light etc.
0 Kudos

/16

RotorHed

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RotorHed
Accepted Solution

BlackKnightJP wrote:
It's not like Animal Crossing. It's basically an action RGP like Diablo, Dungeon Siege, Dungeon Hunter Alliance, Untold Legends, Torch Light etc.

I wouldn't know about those games since I never played them.

However, in Animal Crossing you bought a house, put stuff in it and invited friends into your game to take a look at it. I was (jokingly) implying that this was a non-fighting version of the Lair building in Warriors Lair.

To contrast in Warrior's Lair, you build your Lair, lay traps, place stuff in it that gives you power and people (invited or otherwise) come in and can take stuff. See the similarity?

Rotor.

0 Kudos

/16

BlackKnightJP

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlackKnightJP
Accepted Solution

RotorHed wrote:

BlackKnightJP wrote:

I wouldn't know about those games since I never played them.

However, in Animal Crossing you bought a house, put stuff in it and invited friends into your game to take a look at it. I was (jokingly) implying that this was a non-fighting version of the Lair building in Warriors Lair.

To contrast in Warrior's Lair, you build your Lair, lay traps, place stuff in it that gives you power and people (invited or otherwise) come in and can take stuff. See the similarity?

Rotor.

I get where you're coming from but I've played Animal Crossing as well as all the games I mentioned and Animal Crossing is very different. Warrior's Lair is I'm essence a roleplaying game. Animal Crossing is a game where you grow and sell crops, have a house, invite other players over. There is no fighting, levelling up, upgrading weapons, using magic etc.
0 Kudos

/16
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ULTIMATE--KOPITE
Accepted Solution

I'm just trying to save people money on buying the 3G version for gimmicks. That's all. The average age on here must be of 13 years and  so they don't fully appreciate the value of money (I'm 19). Your all telling me you can't wait to play Tag and other poor 3G add ons (reviews). I bet my bottom dollar most of you don't use them features as they are pathetic. This is a thread that may tempt people to change, I'm trying to save them money. On the wipeout subject yes it's free, but some people want the physical copy to sell on and save memory space which tbh Sony are ripping us off with (but some won't question it as it makes them look rich and cool)...also the top-ups.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

RotorHed

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RotorHed
Accepted Solution

ULTIMATE--KOPITE wrote:

I'm just trying to save people money on buying the 3G version for gimmicks. That's all. The average age on here must be of 13 years and  so they don't fully appreciate the value of money (I'm 19). Your all telling me you can't wait to play Tag and other poor 3G add ons (reviews). I bet my bottom dollar most of you don't use them features as they are pathetic. This is a thread that may tempt people to change, I'm trying to save them money. On the wipeout subject yes it's free, but some people want the physical copy to sell on and save memory space which tbh Sony are ripping us off with (but some won't question it as it makes them look rich and cool).

Despite the appaling grammar and and poorly informed posts that occur here, I think you'll find most people are rather older than 13 as depressing as that is.

Can I suggest to you that you save a lot of money by not buying a (pathetic) Vita and just buying a deck of cards. I'm only saying that because I'm worried about your finances....

That's sounds pretty patronising don't you think?

Rotor.

0 Kudos

/16

Codey47

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Codey47
Accepted Solution

ULTIMATE--KOPITE wrote:

I'm just trying to save people money on buying the 3G version for gimmicks. That's all. The average age on here must be of 13 years and  so they don't fully appreciate the value of money (I'm 19). Your all telling me you can't wait to play Tag and other poor 3G add ons (reviews). I bet my bottom dollar most of you don't use them features as they are pathetic. This is a thread that may tempt people to change, I'm trying to save them money. On the wipeout subject yes it's free, but some people want the physical copy to sell on and save memory space which tbh Sony are ripping us off with (but some won't question it as it makes them look rich and cool)...also the top-ups.

It's wrong of you to assume that average age.

You'll be surprised how many EUps.commers here are nearly double, even close to trippling your guestimation.

Many of us here don't get many hanouts off our parents anymore :mansad:

I know you mean well and your hearts in the right place but perhaps you're better suited here

0 Kudos

Playstation Revamped

Jesus Teabagged Me
/16
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ULTIMATE--KOPITE
Accepted Solution
Hey I'm all for the Vita, all I'm stating is that the 3G is not worth the extra £50. The little 13 year olds begging their dads for the 3G version due to people banging on about how great the 3G version is. My post was implying that these little ones will be brainwashed by some and I'm giving the opposite angle. The elder generation of gamers are entitled to spend as they please, I'm looking out for the people who are considering whether it's worth the extra plunge for the 3G.
0 Kudos

/16

BlackKnightJP

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlackKnightJP
Accepted Solution

ULTIMATE--KOPITE wrote:
Hey I'm all for the Vita, all I'm stating is that the 3G is not worth the extra £50. The little 13 year olds begging their dads for the 3G version due to people banging on about how great the 3G version is. My post was implying that these little ones will be brainwashed by some and I'm giving the opposite angle. The elder generation of gamers are entitled to spend as they please, I'm looking out for the people who are considering whether it's worth the extra plunge for the 3G.
I suggest you stop insulting the intelligence of people here. You're just digging yourself into a deeper hole.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

WhiteHartMart

• Beta Tester
92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WhiteHartMart
Accepted Solution

ULTIMATE--KOPITE wrote:

Not worth £50 to you maybe - but being 3 times your assumption of the age of people on here, I feel I'm old enough to make my own mind up thanks.

£50 makes sense to me, free downloadable Wipeout and purely in my opinion a bit more future proofing.

I'd personally rather spend the extra and not miss out on any game features that might need 3G in the future - then again I appreciate why anyone would just go WiFi also.

I'd suggest leaving it up to the individual to decide - 'your choice' doesn't have to be preached as 'the only choice' ;)

[ Edited ]
/16

toondw

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
toondw
Accepted Solution
I concur!
0 Kudos

http://eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/toondw/
/16
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ULTIMATE--KOPITE
Accepted Solution
I'm giving the opposite angle to the people giving the whole 3G is God end off. All the people moaning at me have ordered the 3G so will defend their purchase to the hilt. I can't even give an opinion without being flamed bar the few exceptions of level headed people.
0 Kudos

/16

Codey47

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Codey47
Accepted Solution

ULTIMATE--KOPITE wrote:
I'm giving the opposite angle to the people giving the whole 3G is God end off. All the people moaning at me have ordered the 3G so will defend their purchase to the hilt. I can't even give an opinion without being flamed bar the few exceptions of level headed people.

Again you're assuming

I haven't defended my purchase once to you. I just gave my reason why I've bought it.

in future don't assume

because it makes an ASS out of U and ME

0 Kudos

Playstation Revamped

Jesus Teabagged Me
/16

ligtningrod1

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ligtningrod1
Accepted Solution

I switched to the 3g Version mainly because.

Wipeout 2048 for £5 yes plox :D

When I go out its with the other half to sporting events and almost every single place I've been theres no Wifi hotspots that are open Fields etc. 3g on my Moby seems ok so far.

Whilst the other half is doing its thing I can do my thing on the Vita if I get too bored.

PAYG tarrif been lowered on my Mobile to offset my Vita 3g Purchase so it balances out for me.

3g would make sense on those days for me £5 a month isnt too bad and truthfuly I CBA to tether.

0 Kudos

Today I R Mostly Waiting...
/16
60%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ULTIMATE--KOPITE
Accepted Solution
What I find funny about all this is that the Playstation fanboys complain about the costs of Xbox being £5 a month when you can easily get it for £23.99 a year. But are happy to pay £5 extra a month for their Vita, hypocritical bunch :D
0 Kudos

/16

ligtningrod1

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ligtningrod1
Accepted Solution

Eauuu K

0 Kudos

Today I R Mostly Waiting...
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel