81%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Dreamcast of the Handheld world

189 Replies 1,130 Views Created 22-10-2012

I think only a blind man would think the Vita has a bright future, an amazing, gorgeous piece of kit that is failing so badly it will likely die within a year. 'Give it time' 'the games will come' we are constantly getting told by Sony and blind fanboys. The device is becoming less and less relevant publishers are dropping support and people just aren't buying it. COD is unlikely to save it Shopto are selling the Vita with 5 games for £259, a similar thing was done with the dreamcast in its last days.

Its gorgeous, powerful and has some great games but no matter what it does it will fail. People will not pay for full price games on the go, I said it before and I will say it again. Handheld gaming is a casual gaming medium by nature it has been proved time and time again. Cheap and shallow games are alll you need whilst on a train ride on on a bus. Its sad because I have one and loved it but I woke up to what was happening surely people cant be so blind  to think this device will live 10 years??? I hate apple but its dominance is undeniable. The vita is selling terribly and I advise anyone with an ounce of common sense to sell it now while its still worth something because in a year or two, it'll be totally worthless.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

bobchickenkfc

81%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bobchickenkfc
Accepted Solution

Good responses, argument over live and let live. Love the vita and am genuinely upset it will get a premature death, but hey i maybe wrong and hope i am.

Enjoy your vita everyone, and if its get a price cut and a price cut especially on games, itll be a winner.

I still maintain Uncharted is the greatest handheld game ever and if the 3DS can make a comeback so might the vita cause the 3DS is *****.

0 Kudos

Re: Dreamcast of the Handheld world

'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'
/16

Guy3847

69%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Guy3847
Accepted Solution

bobchickenkfc wrote:

Good responses, argument over live and let live. Love the vita and am genuinely upset it will get a premature death, but hey i maybe wrong and hope i am.

Enjoy your vita everyone, and if its get a price cut and a price cut especially on games, itll be a winner.

I still maintain Uncharted is the greatest handheld game ever and if the 3DS can make a comeback so might the vita cause the 3DS is *****.

It IS getting a price cut, if you didn't spend some much time criticising the psvita you would have done some research and found this out, and if you again you did your research, you would have found the names of over 50 games coming out in the next 6 months, plus sony told us they still have a big line-up of un-announced games coming really soon, so hold up and cut the psvita some slack, every console needs time to find it's feet and make a name for itself.

0 Kudos

/16

TINTINTB303

85%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TINTINTB303
Accepted Solution

Guy3847 wrote:

bobchickenkfc wrote:

It IS getting a price cut, if you didn't spend some much time criticising the psvita you would have done some research and found this out, and if you again you did your research, you would have found the names of over 50 games coming out in the next 6 months, plus sony told us they still have a big line-up of un-announced games coming really soon, so hold up and cut the psvita some slack, every console needs time to find it's feet and make a name for itself.

You had to do it didn't you?!?!

Why oh why did you just try and re-start an argument/discussion that is done and dusted with????

Please just leave it and let this thread die!  :xRolleyes:

/16

bobchickenkfc

81%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bobchickenkfc
Accepted Solution

Lol, its ok I wont say anything more bad about the Vita. Thinking I might buy the new Killzone game!

Does anyone know if its has a release date?

0 Kudos

'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'
/16

TINTINTB303

85%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TINTINTB303
Accepted Solution

bobchickenkfc wrote:

Lol, its ok I wont say anything more bad about the Vita. Thinking I might buy the new Killzone game!

Does anyone know if its has a release date?

Got a bit worried there :smileywink:

It doesn't have a firm release yet bud.

Going by the fact that games coming in Q1 of 2013 all have "Early 2013" in the adverts etc I would bet on it being mid to maybe even late 2013.

So from summer 2013 till Xmas 2013. Your guess would be as good as mine.

I don't mind the release date being later on in the year to be honest.

Better they hold the release date back than rush to get it out say in spring for example then we have an unfinished, unpolished game! 

That seems to be happening so much to so many games on all platforms recently.  :Shame:

But going by the Gamescon trailer (I know the gameplay footage was limited) it looks pretty sweet already and that was maybe a full year before release :smileysurprised::smileyhappy: 

0 Kudos

Re: General Vita Discussion

[ Edited ]
/16

bobchickenkfc

81%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bobchickenkfc
Accepted Solution

Defo Ps3 quality graphics!

0 Kudos

'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'
/16

nikcox

92%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
nikcox
Accepted Solution

All those that are bemoaning the graphics look at it like this. 

The ps3 is now 5/6 years old. Comparing a new game on vita with a game on ps3 isn't fair. We need to look at what the ps3 was graphically producing in its early years to compare like for like. 

Just a thought. 

0 Kudos

But of course I have an opinion. Have you not seen my platinum...
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

nikcox wrote:

All those that are bemoaning the graphics look at it like this. 

The ps3 is now 5/6 years old. Comparing a new game on vita with a game on ps3 isn't fair. We need to look at what the ps3 was graphically producing in its early years to compare like for like. 

Just a thought. 

PS3 home console which is more powerfull than the Vita which is a Handheld console.

Thats is why it is not fair nothing to do with how old the Ps3 is.

Why compare anyway?

They are to compliment each other not to be in compertion.

As powefull as the Vita is the full specs are still behind the Ps3

The cell when used right is more complexed and offer a lot more than the Vita could dream off. Does that make the Vita bad? No far from it!

Now can we let this topic die?

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
/16

bobchickenkfc

81%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bobchickenkfc
Accepted Solution

I did actually mean that as a good thing! PS3 quality graphics on a handheld is a good thing!

0 Kudos

'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'
/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Semaphia
Accepted Solution

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/181594/3DS_outsells_Vita_47to1_in_Japan.php#.UKRUDYc23cw

"The Vita had no new releases last week, and none of its games appear in the top 30 chart. There are, by comparison, fourteen 3DS games."

I did try and be optimistic at the start, but really now... Even if you do put the 3DS's 47:1 ratio solely down to AC, you can't really get away from the fact that the 3DS has 13 other games in the top 30 while the Vita has 0.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

games dont get released ever week for every platform and espicilay in it first 18months for any console platform

the 3ds is a lot cheaper than the vita and so are the games so they will sell more till the inevatable pre christmas price cut will come as sony needs to sell more

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Semaphia
Accepted Solution
I see your point, but how many of those 14 games are new releases? The 3DS does have 8-12 months on the Vita, I suppose...

It just needs a killer game to be honest.
0 Kudos

/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

thats the thing the 3ds is cheaper as are the 3ds games.

£35+ is for a hand held game is pefetic and publisihers and sony need to see this.

i refuse to pay more than £30 for a handheld game as do many  sony need to set a price cap

also reduce the price of the vita to gear up more inetrest

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Semaphia
Accepted Solution
I'm tempted to treat myself to a 3DS to be honest...

£35 isn't bad IF (and it's a big if) there's £35 worth of content. If I'm getting a well designed, 50 hour RPG, I don't care what system it's on... I'll buy it! But, if I'm getting a bare bones console port, I won't be paying console game prices for it.
0 Kudos

/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

i have a 3Ds as well and apart from Resident Evil the vita gets more play

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

/16

Sasha_Je

79%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Sasha_Je
Accepted Solution

Rant, rant, rant and more rant...

This is a long term investment, Sony is not selling hot bread. Its normal that the PSP should still outsell the Vita, any transition takes time, how many years did the PS2 outsold PS3 and even Xbox360? In Japan it still happens with the Xbox :) Vita needs time, and with time cheaper cards, more games, cheaper games will come and ofc apps ( useful gaming/social apps ). If Apple would release a pad for its Ipad/Phone it will cost half the Vita ( btw an Apple memory card costs 70£ ) and you people scream that Vita is expensive and needs a price cut but an Ipad costs 500£ its more expensive then PS4 lol. Just play your games or make constructive threads rather then rant around here all day.

0 Kudos

/16

Terramax01

56%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Terramax01
Accepted Solution

Semaphia wrote:

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/181594/3DS_outsells_Vita_47to1_in_Japan.php#.UKRUDYc23cw

"The Vita had no new releases last week, and none of its games appear in the top 30 chart. There are, by comparison, fourteen 3DS games."

I did try and be optimistic at the start, but really now... Even if you do put the 3DS's 47:1 ratio solely down to AC, you can't really get away from the fact that the 3DS has 13 other games in the top 30 while the Vita has 0.

There's no way to defend the fact that the Vita is selling poorly in Japan, but there are some things that MUST be taken into account. One of the main points, which people on these forums continuously fail to take into consideration, is that the PSP is STILL selling well in Japan, and is constantly having games released for that system.

People in JP are not buying the Vita because they're still very much content with the PSP! I'm living in the Kansai area of Japan and pretty much every time I'm on the train I see at least one, if not 3 or 4 people, playing on their PSPs (usually people in their 20's-30's).

This leads me to another point - the PSP appears to target the older demographic. It is important to understand that, in Japan, when people get older, they most often don't buy/ play as many games. When someone in Japan goes into employment, they're just not expected to be playing video games anymore.

Because both the PSP and Vita are targetted at a smaller demographic than the 3DS, which is ultimately targeted at kids/ teenagers, it's no surprise that the PSP and Vita are not selling anywhere near as well.

I have no doubt in my mind that the Vita should've been released in the West FIRST and then probably only been released on the Japanese market around now.

This is one point that I do believe makes the Dreamcast like the Vita. The Dreamcast was released at a time where many Japanese devs were still happy to make games for the Sega Saturn, which was doing really well in native Japan. It alienated both game companies and consumers alike when the Dreamcast suddenly hit the shelves.

The Vita is perfect in Europe because the PSP was never a huge seller, and looked all but dead anyway by the time the Vita came along, but.... sorry, I'm going on a tangent again. You get the idea guys.

0 Kudos

/16

bobchickenkfc

81%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bobchickenkfc
Accepted Solution

Right, I dont want to start any Vita hate I really dont  I have upset enough people and for that I'm sorry....BUT games like COD and Resistance were hailed as saviours for the VIta, The games that would propell the Vita in into thousands of core gamer lovers homes. It hasn't delivered. So what now? what now have Vita owners got to look forward to. Killzone. looks great but will it be enough.

The future does look grim for the Vita wholly undeserved as its the most sublime handheld ever made. I just cant shake this bad feeling that it will fad away with only Sony developing games for it as all other developers appear to have abadoned it and we all know how well they supported the Move eh?

What will it take to save it? simply a game price cut not a price cut on the unit the Vita is very reasonably priced. Picture this for a moment imagine COD and Killzone being sold for £5-10! if there was only a way to price vita games at the same level as iphone games, it would kill iphone gaming. Surely there is a way to bring down the price dramically on vita games, in game advertising similar to the Iphone could make games cheaper yes in game adverts are annoying but who wouldn't put up with that for a game that is £20 cheaper?

Just think about it a full Vita game priced at the same level as an iphone game it would make it an overnight sucess.

Too those who say it cant be done full games such as GTA 3 and carmageddon are being sold on the App store for £1.49 why cant sony find a way to reduce the stupid price of the VIta games, there are ways and means and if Sony had an ounce of sense it would save the Vita from an undeserved premature death.

0 Kudos

'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'
/16

Semaphia

97%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Semaphia
Accepted Solution
No veteran gamer with any self worth would let a Call of Duty game into their house :p I don't think I'd want the Vita to be built around the success of a CoD game.

Asking £10 for CoD would actually be about right... The sheer lack of content in the game makes the £40 price absolutely laughable. However, some games are worth the full RRP. I just feel that gamers are being put off by the fact most Vita games offer less content than their console counterparts, but still cost the same (if not more - Fifa Football was £40 on launch, and missed so many Fifa 12 features it was a joke).

I'm going to collect all the PS Vita titles I reckon... Individual titles pop up on Zavvi/Shopto for £10 all the time, so I've just set myself a £10-15 limit for new games :P Just bought Everybody's Golf & BlazBlu for £22 lol :D
0 Kudos

/16

bobchickenkfc

81%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bobchickenkfc
Accepted Solution

Your a smart gamer! kudos. I saw everybodys golf for a tenner and it made me think if all vita games were that price how good would it be! at the end of the day you are getting a cut down console version so it should be cut down in price not cost more!!! what idiots price these games. I mean a some vita games ACTUALLY cost more than its big brother console counterpart? and people wonder why its failing when the truth is like an elephant in the room with tourettes ie: bloody obvious

0 Kudos

'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'
/16

TINTINTB303

85%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TINTINTB303
Accepted Solution

Terramax01 wrote:

@Terramax01

Can i just apologise for going off on one at you the other day.

I was in a really bad mood and you just seemed to be there and took the brunt of my rage.

Sorry :smileyhappy:

I cannot even remember what it was about but I've had it in my head to say sorry next time you popped up.

:Thumbs:

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel