28%
02 Rank
Progress
Accepted Solution

Free Replacement for damaged PS Vita

21 Replies 2,227 Views Created 27-05-2012
27 May 2012
By eyresey91
Okay, so I love my vita more than anything, I'm never off it, I really look after it and have a case on it, my little brother peeled my screen protector off and yesterday my girlfriend put my vita in her bag, the screen got lightly scratched but quite a lot and its really annoyed/upset me because I don't even want the Vita now that it looks like this. Is there anyway of getting it replaced for free?
0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BlackKnightUK

94%
05 Rank
Progress
BlackKnightUK
Accepted Solution

eyresey91 wrote:
Okay, so I love my vita more than anything, I'm never off it, I really look after it and have a case on it, my little brother peeled my screen protector off and yesterday my girlfriend put my vita in her bag, the screen got lightly scratched but quite a lot and its really annoyed/upset me because I don't even want the Vita now that it looks like this. Is there anyway of getting it replaced for free?
Not likely I'm afraid as at then end of the day it was your own fault and not a defect or fault that occurred that was beyond your control.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Re: Free Replacement for damaged PS Vita

All Replies

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

McDaymo

87%
04 Rank
Progress
McDaymo
Accepted Solution

I wouldnt think you would be able to get it replaced for nothing, ring Sony for a quote....

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

pressmyfoot

• Beta Tester
91%
05 Rank
Progress
pressmyfoot
Accepted Solution
nope.

otherwise sony would have to replace lots of them.

buy a new one or man-up and deal with it.

pmf (opined)
0 Kudos

photo pmfbik-2.png

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

eyresey91

28%
02 Rank
Progress
eyresey91
Accepted Solution
I dropped my iPhone 4 last year and apple replaced it for free there and then, without question when i took it in, they claim the vita is robust but i don't think they are a cOuple of people i know have dents in theirs so they cant be as robust as they claim!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BlackKnightUK

94%
05 Rank
Progress
BlackKnightUK
Accepted Solution

eyresey91 wrote:
I dropped my iPhone 4 last year and apple replaced it for free there and then, without question when i took it in, they claim the vita is robust but i don't think they are a cOuple of people i know have dents in theirs so they cant be as robust as they claim!
Apple use to do that on a case by case basis. The official li e now is they won't anymore as far too many people were taking advantage of it. Regardless of how robust it is if the user is at fault regards faults or damage the company has no obligation to replace or repair for free. I've owned a lot of devices over the years including several smart phones, tablets, hand held consoles and I've never scratched or damaged any of them.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

eyresey91

28%
02 Rank
Progress
eyresey91
Accepted Solution
Me neither other than the iPhone, which was insured anyway, I'm mored bothered that it wasnt me that damaged it and other than but a new one theres nothing i can do really!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

davey23

• Beta Tester
98%
03 Rank
Progress
davey23
Accepted Solution
You could try a screen protector. (not trying to be funny) It may hide the scratches if they are really light because it will change the way light is reflected from the screen.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

IrishViper1

96%
05 Rank
Progress
IrishViper1
Accepted Solution

A friend of mine recently got a new screen on his , look for a shop which fixe's phones where you live and ask them can they do anything the place where I live the guy just said he would see if he could find replacement screens he would fit it and he did and all it cost was €30.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

FooFan73

90%
03 Rank
Progress
FooFan73
Accepted Solution

Now that so many of us own expensive portable gadgets such as iPhones, Samsung Galaxy phones and tablets, PS Vitas and so on having home insurance (With additional accident cover) is pretty much essential these days

0 Kudos

Photobucket

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ScottBull

60%
02 Rank
Progress
ScottBull
Accepted Solution

Despite PMF's unqualified statement on manning-up; I feel for you; something similiar happend with my HTC HD7 a few months back.

Stuff like this all depends on the manufacturer; my PSP was 2 weeks out of warranty when an entire row of pixels went dead and they gave me a free refurbished model as a goodwill gesture; I've found Sony's support to be very decent as of late; so you can always ask them and find out, I was even told that they take the customers word at face-value, (in the case of my PSP, I couldn't find the receipt; but saw that I'd registered it just under 54 weeks previously, and they accepted this as proof of purchase), so as a loyal and honest customer, they may be willing to help you out.

With cases such as this though, since it's defined as malicious or accidental damage not related to a manufacturing fault, it's up to Sony whether they repair it for free or charge you.

If you have contents insurance on your house, you may be able to claim from this, though you may have to pay and excess and your premiums will go up.

To summarise, your options would be as follows:

1.  Continue to use the product in it's current condition
  2.  Ask Sony if they'll replace it, hopefully for free, or at least repair it, (you may be sent a refurbished replacement).
  3.  Purchase a new unit; perhaps sell the damaged one on eBay or keep it as a spare.
  4.  Claim on your contents insurance if you have it, though this may be a lengthy proceedure.
0 Kudos

I could dream forever, and never stop, I could think of life and beauty, the stars that fade in the sky. The hearts of lovers, the dreams of dreamers.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Nasomi

57%
02 Rank
Progress
Nasomi
Accepted Solution
Your iphone was replaced on the spot, yes, because had a protection plan for it.

Do you have a protection plan for your vita? If so, it should cover it. If not, then why should they be responsable for your neglegence? Sure, as the above stated, a manufacturer defect taht appeared just after the warranty went out, they replaced it, nice of them. Had he scratched the hell out of it by taking neglegent care, I'm pretty sure they'd have said tough luck.

And sorry, but it is your fault. Not your brothers, not your girlfriends, but yours. It's your property and you're responsible for it. Your little brother took off the protector because you didn't instruct him properly onw hat should and should not be done, and if he was to young to comprehend, again why are you letting someone who is to young to comprehend use a $300USD device?

Since the body is of a similar material as the screen, your girlfriend put it in her purse without case, even if it had a screen protector,, and the screen was fine, the whole case would be messed up. So aside from the screen, she is responsible for the messed up case. The whole situation sounds like negligent care, and was bound to happen sooner or later, and unless you change your ways, it's going to happen again. So, why would sony give you a new one if you're just going to break it again?
0 Kudos

20gb PS3 *|*|* 80gb PS3
2x PSP-Go
PS Vita - 8gb

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ScottBull

60%
02 Rank
Progress
ScottBull
Accepted Solution

$300; wow, you was lucky; they were £260 here for the 3G model, though my fiancee told me the minimum wage in her state of VA was around $7; whilst it's £6.34 here, (around $10.91 on the exchange rate); but the dude got it right; you need to take care of things, heck, I've got a ZX Spectrum 48k that still works perfectly, (if you're not sure what that is; ask your Grandparents).

Sony are pretty generous, if you ask them nicely you might get lucky, especially if you're a really loyal customer such as myself, (I've even got a top-spec HD camcorder made by Sony.

As the other guy said; if you're letting pretty much everyone use it and just throw it around, then it's to be expected; with high-value stuff like that, I make sure I'm around if the other person is using it, heck, when my fiancee was playing with my Yamaha Tyros 4 keyboard, (which was over a few thousand quid on release), I was watching her like a hawk; as a musician and comedian, the only people I let handle my equipment are my trusted roadies, (yes, I have roadies, lol), and even then I'm supervising them.

Look after your games consoles and they will last a long time, though modern consoles don't seem to last as long, hence my working Speccy.

You may get lucky, you may not; the best thing you can do is try, but you may want to look at getting insurance on the item, either contents insurance on your house property, or something like Protect Your Bubble if they cover it.

0 Kudos

I could dream forever, and never stop, I could think of life and beauty, the stars that fade in the sky. The hearts of lovers, the dreams of dreamers.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BlackKnightUK

94%
05 Rank
Progress
BlackKnightUK
Accepted Solution

eyresey91 wrote:
Not likely I'm afraid as at then end of the day it was your own fault and not a defect or fault that occurred that was beyond your control.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Fridida

51%
02 Rank
Progress
Fridida
Accepted Solution

Your little bro is responsible for replacing it not sony.......do what i do....my little bro doesn't come within 50 yds of mine :)

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Fridida

51%
02 Rank
Progress
Fridida
Accepted Solution

this is a unique opportunity to teach your bro a very valuable lesson in other peoples property.....make him get a saturday job and pay it off.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

TheTenth

96%
02 Rank
Progress
TheTenth
Accepted Solution

the basic warranty for a PS VIta is one year, the PS Vita was released in 2012 so it's still under warranty even if you don't have the receipt of where you bought it, try to phone Sony and explain it that way, they may exchange it as the year of warranty obviously isn't over

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

thewoe

95%
04 Rank
Progress
thewoe
Accepted Solution
Thing ive learnt over the years, you try to protect something too much it breaks, if your casual with it it doesnt, weird i know but its the truth.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Rastaman_uK

29%
02 Rank
Progress
Rastaman_uK
Accepted Solution
Really your complain about a scratch "/ dude count yourself lucky ive dropped my vita and broke the screen i thought Sony would of replaced it but no they said pay us £144 and we will send u a replacement *****!!!!
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

Rastaman_uK wrote:
Really your complain about a scratch "/ dude count yourself lucky ive dropped my vita and broke the screen i thought Sony would of replaced it but no they said pay us £144 and we will send u a replacement *****!!!!

you drop it and it breaks what do you expect?

the year garantee is not thier to cover accidentle dammage you need to take out a seperate plan for that.

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

brianmini

90%
04 Rank
Progress
brianmini
Accepted Solution
In the OP it was claimed its always kept in a case, now if the screen protector was peeled off what does it matter? It was in a case?

Shame to see a Vita misstreated, hope you get it fixed!

A previous poster commented that fitting a new screen protector might correct the scratches. I agree with this, I had a small light scratch on my PSP1000 and I fitted a quality protector. The glue on the protector in effect fills the scratch so the scratch vanishes! So give it a go!

Good luck, give your wee bro a smack from me.... Ditto with your girlfriend! Lol
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Q-Ball_004

25%
02 Rank
Progress
Q-Ball_004
Accepted Solution

I bought a new PS vita and it had a broken screen how do i get a new one ?

0 Kudos

Free Replacement for damaged PS Vita

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel