bobchickenkfc

81%
04 Rank
Progress

I love the Vita.... but......

70 Replies 1,188 Views Created 25-02-2012
25 Feb 2012
By bobchickenkfc

Before I get accused of ‘flame baiting’ or‘trolling.’ I have played the Vita and I love it and its an amazing bit of kit and feels great to hold, but it’s the fact that Sony’s head is so far in the clouds, (or up their arse) that they can’t see its main problem….price, price of the Vita itself??  No, no it’s a good price for what you get, it’s the price of the games and memory cards, seriously who in their right mind is going to pay those ridiculous for memory cards? Ok Amazon give you a free 8GB card, but if Sony want a higher take up of digital distribution of games how far is that, or even 32GB, going to go? Now games…ok they are proper full length but £44.99 for Uncharted, Hell no even the online price of £37.99 is too much and at the end of the day you are paying a premium price for a game that you will never be able to play on anything other that a 5 inch screen that alone should make games cost more than£20. Reality Fighters is a game similar to a 69p APP on the Apple Store so why wasn’t that priced more competitively?  The fact that it’s flopping in Japan is again proof of their terrible strategy, Japan was the country that the PSP did the best, so you would think the Vita would follow suit so what chance does it have in the UK and US. I think it was the interview with the Sony boss that infuriated me the most he just seems so blind to these issues its almost laughable and unless there is a major price restructure and Sony Abandon their stupid policy on propriety Memory cards within 12 months Vita will fail as by then their will be far more advanced smart phones and tablets that will be producing games at 1080p or more for prices that Sony just can’t compete with. I wanted to like the Vita I really did, I love my Playstation 3 it’s the best console for years full stop, but there really is no room for a dedicated, hardcore gaming portable charging £40+ a game it just makes no sense whichever way you look at it. 69p games are a good quick gaming fix, and that’s why Apple have succeeded their products are expensive but their apps are very well priced (although I detest touch screen controls) in depth gaming experiences are really only suited to home consoles.

LABELS:
'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RotorHed

80%
02 Rank
Progress
RotorHed
Accepted Solution

Icarus21 wrote:

In my opinion, the Vita is too expensive. Amazon are selling the wi-fi vita for £210, with a selected game and an 8gb card its £245. The 3DS is £134 and 8gb SD cost about £5.

Sony should have cut out all the "fat" on the Vita to make it cheaper. The back touch panel for a start, its just a gimmick really that could easily be replaced by front touch screen functionality.

The processor has 4 cores! With new models of phone coming out reletively frequently, Sony should have  aimed to beat, just the 3DS in terms of processor power. To try to stay ahead of phones that are contract subsidised is overly costly, and like p*ssing into the wind.

The memory cards are rediculously priced. Fair enough if Sony want to recoup costs on "Sony only" memory cards,  but at this price they are taking the micky. A 32mb class 10 micro sd is £30.50 on amazon. a £37 will only get you a 16gb vita card. Sony could make memory cheaper and make much more money from more frequent downloads, the way apple with itunes does.

I'll take the Vita as it is and just pay the price thanks. People just gotta learn that if something is more expensive than they can afford - that doesn't mean neccesarily it's too expensive, just that they don't have the funds.

Come back in a couple of years, maybe you can get one then - meantime, just play the 3DS.

Rotor.

Re: I love the Vita.... but......

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

BlackKnightJP

88%
02 Rank
Progress
BlackKnightJP
Accepted Solution

Icarus21 wrote:

In my opinion, the Vita is too expensive. Amazon are selling the wi-fi vita for £210, with a selected game and an 8gb card its £245. The 3DS is £134 and 8gb SD cost about £5.

Sony should have cut out all the "fat" on the Vita to make it cheaper. The back touch panel for a start, its just a gimmick really that could easily be replaced by front touch screen functionality.

The processor has 4 cores! With new models of phone coming out reletively frequently, Sony should have  aimed to beat, just the 3DS in terms of processor power. To try to stay ahead of phones that are contract subsidised is overly costly, and like p*ssing into the wind.

The memory cards are rediculously priced. Fair enough if Sony want to recoup costs on "Sony only" memory cards,  but at this price they are taking the micky. A 32mb class 10 micro sd is £30.50 on amazon. a £37 will only get you a 16gb vita card. Sony could make memory cheaper and make much more money from more frequent downloads, the way apple with itunes does.

It does have front touch screen functionality and the rear touch pad is far from being a gimmick. I doubt you own a Vita or have even used a Vita extensively. It's certainly not over priced and Sony got the functionality and features just right. Yes the memory cards are expensive but they are one way of them making money as they're taking a loss on the hardware. That said if you buy one large memory card you should be set for a while. The Vita isn't without it's flaws and issues but this is the case with all new hardware. No doubt future software updates and hardware revisions will fix that.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Icarus21

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Icarus21
Accepted Solution

BlackKnightJP wrote:

Icarus21 wrote:

It does have front touch screen functionality and the rear touch pad is far from being a gimmick. I doubt you own a Vita or have even used a Vita extensively. It's certainly not over priced and Sony got the functionality and features just right. Yes the memory cards are expensive but they are one way of them making money as they're taking a loss on the hardware. That said if you buy one large memory card you should be set for a while. The Vita isn't without it's flaws and issues but this is the case with all new hardware. No doubt future software updates and hardware revisions will fix that.

I know it has front touch screen functionality, that's part of the reason i questioned if the rear touch was really needed. You are right Sony are making a loss, overall as a company they have been making a huge loss for the past 4 years running. Sony need to ask themselves what functions are really needed and what will be the selling factors for their product. In hard economic times the "barrier to entry" is usually the price point. I doubt anyone can honestly say that what made people buy the Vita was the back touch pad. Its more likely people would say "it has better graphics than the 3DS" or "Its the only handheld with a second analogue stick" If Sony had cut unnecessary functions and theirfore costs, more people would jump onboard.

I did say it was fair enough for Sony to recoup some cost with "Sony only" memory cards, but charging more than twice the going rate is taking advantage of consumers and puts people off making a purchase.

I want Sony to do well, I really enjoy my PS3, but it would be nice for them to release a product that's not gimped in some way. Hardware revisions are a good thing, but I do get the feeling some inovations are held back just so it can go in the next "revision". (for example the vita is based on the shape of the old PSP, why not give it a slimer form factor like the PSP Go? I bet thats the next possible revision)

Holding revisions back is fine if you're at the top like Apple or Nintendo, but if you've made a four year loss like Sony you've got to make sure you're product sells like hot cakes.  I'm not saying this to annoy Sony Fanboys, I'm saying it because I want to see Sony around for the PS4 and making games for the future.

Overall it just seems like Sony makes some odd decisions.

Oh and to "Rotor"

I could go out and buy a Vita if I really wanted too. But for the reasons I have mentioned in my previous posts, I haven't. Many more people have gone out and bought a 3DS or an apple product. You might not care, but Sony sure do.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

RotorHed

80%
02 Rank
Progress
RotorHed
Accepted Solution

Icarus21 wrote:

Oh and to "Rotor"

I could go out and buy a Vita if I really wanted too. But for the reasons I have mentioned in my previous posts, I haven't. Many more people have gone out and bought a 3DS or an apple product. You might not care, but Sony sure do.

So let me get this straight - you could buy a Vita if you really wanted do but don't want to because :

1) It has a back touchscreen and

2) It has a second analog.

Without these things, you'd go and buy one right? In which case, send me your details since I have just the thing for you right here and I'll sell it to you for a what a Vita costs right now.

Rotor.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

AlexAtkinUK

87%
05 Rank
Progress
AlexAtkinUK
Accepted Solution

Icarus21 wrote:

If Sony had cut unnecessary functions and theirfore costs, more people would jump onboard.

I want Sony to do well, I really enjoy my PS3, but it would be nice for them to release a product that's not gimped in some way. Hardware revisions are a good thing, but I do get the feeling some inovations are held back just so it can go in the next "revision".

Can you not see the irony in what you said above?

You think Sony should have gimped the Vita so that they could sell it cheaper, but you wish they would release a product not gimped and not hold back innovations to later revisions?

Guess what, that is EXACTLY what Vita is.  A none-gimped PSP where they DIDN'T hold back innovations to later revisions, they put everything in there from day one and as such it has to sell for more than the 3DS.  Bearing in mind the only reason the 3DS doesn't cost as much is because it wasn't selling well and Nintendo panicked and dropped the price - because they need money right now to launch the Wii U later this year.

Seriously though, if the Vita had been just a minor improvement on the 3DS, I wouldn't have bought it.  I have a 3DS, its good for the kind of games Nintendo excel at.  However its completely on the back burner since I got my Vita, THAT is what I want from a handheld and if Sony had gimped on the specs it would just have been another PSP.  For once they actually delivered as promised (I will forgive the missing PSone support and that my favourite PSP games don't work yet) and you are complaining, I mean ***** make your mind up.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Icarus21

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Icarus21
Accepted Solution
AlexAtkinUK wrote:

Can you not see the irony in what you said above?

You think Sony should have gimped the Vita so that they could sell it cheaper, but you wish they would release a product not gimped and not hold back innovations to later revisions?

Guess what, that is EXACTLY what Vita is.  A none-gimped PSP where they DIDN'T hold back innovations to later revisions, they put everything in there from day one and as such it has to sell for more than the 3DS.  Bearing in mind the only reason the 3DS doesn't cost as much is because it wasn't selling well and Nintendo panicked and dropped the price - because they need money right now to launch the Wii U later this year.

if Sony had gimped on the specs it would just have been another PSP.  For once they actually delivered as promised (I will forgive the missing PSone support and that my favourite PSP games don't work yet) and you are complaining, I mean ***** make your mind up.

Yes I can see the irony in what I was saying, thats why I finished by saying "Overall Sony make some odd decisions". They add functions such as the back touch panel that no one would have wanted if they hadn't known it was coming, but then leave out PSone support and gimp PSP support by not fully supporting direct downloads. On top of this the Vita is bigger than last gen PSP 3000. Why didn't they save money by dropping the back touch panel but increase portability by making it a sliding or folding device.

Fan made concepts like the one below were around for months and months before the vita was announced

Some modification of the current analgoue sticks may have been needed but nothing the 3DS hasn't already solved.

" Bearing in mind the only reason the 3DS doesn't cost as much is because it wasn't selling well and Nintendo panicked and dropped the price"

Nintendo made a device that early adopters would pay big many for, but was cheap enough to manufacture that thay had the choice of dropping the price and still making a profit. Its worked very well for them. I doubt Sony will be as eager to cut their price.

The PS3 was overpriced and costly to produce at launch. It hit Sony hard with poor sales in the early years. I'm just supprised they keep making the same design choices.

I want to be clear, I don't hate the Vita, I have even been tempted to buy one myself. But just because we're all fans of Sonys products doesn't mean we should only praise their decision.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bobchickenkfc

81%
04 Rank
Progress
bobchickenkfc
Accepted Solution

Thanks for taking the time to do that for me honey, with my dxlesica and pis poor speling you have really saved my lfe! love you. May I stay eith you in your mums basement? bagsy top bunk :)

0 Kudos

'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Cringles88
Accepted Solution

The drop on the head explains the terrible joke.

I remember reading somewhere, can't remember if it was around the time of  RE:Revelations being released for the DS. It was being priced about £40 I think. But a few days before release it dropped in price. If I can remember, the argument for the high price was something like.

''Just because this is a handheld title, doesn't mean that the same amount of work that goes into a console game, didn't go into this game. So I see no issue with the price''..

With regards to Uncharted GA at least. I think it should of been a £30 title. The series is huge. I'm enjoying the game. But it doesn't compare to the console games at all. Scale, set pieces, story. It wasn't made by Naughty Dog so it's not going to be as good.

I didn't even enjoy UC3 that much. After release, I found out half of the team were off making The Last Of Us, while the other half made UC3.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

NOZonline

99%
07 Rank
Progress
NOZonline
Accepted Solution
Wall'o text'to
lol
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

UKBORNnBRED

21%
02 Rank
Progress
UKBORNnBRED
Accepted Solution

I dont usualy make comments for others to read, I keep my thoughts to myself, but I see alot of comments on here saying that the Vita is too expensive, that the memory cards are too expesive, that the games are too expensive, what a load of TOSH, the only reason they are expensive, is because you get what you pay for, well worth the money as far as I am concerned, I am not one too brag normaly but I have as many games console as I can, to get the best games out, never missing out because its on the other console, my two daughters 12 and 14, and five year old son have DS3D`s, I have the old psp and now the Vita, and I am glad that I bought the vita, it is by far the best handheld out there, I find myself reading other comments, and think to myself, the people that put the Vita down, (be it price or it not being very good at what it is supposed to do, ) I keep thinking to myself, they are realy saying I cant afford one, I will ***** it off so that I make out that I dont wont one, well save your money and buy one, put it to the test, wow 3ds, look at the size of them screens, I need my glasses on to see them their that small, the Sony with its one screen, makes the quality of the DS seem outdated, the build quality, the feel of the sony in your hands, sure there aren`t that many games out there yet, but it is still early days, I bought the 3G with 8 gig card, Ridge racer, dosen`t matter what I payed for it, it was and still is money well spent, there was also free games to download, plus Wipeout for a fiver on vodafone sim card, It plays music and films realy well I might add, internet remote play, cross console play, more things than you can shake your stick at, I can not fault it.

***** me off I dont mind, if you cant afford it, dont like it, or dont want it, why comment on it, if you`ve bought it and dont like it fair enough, I bought it and I am glad I did, and its better to play on than my Iphone 4s that is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, take what you will from this, but if your thinking of buying one please do you wont be dissapointed.

0 Kudos

Re: I love the Vita.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bobchickenkfc

81%
04 Rank
Progress
bobchickenkfc
Accepted Solution

Its a great bit of kit I agree, but trust me when I say this it will fail. In two years or less time handheld graphics will surpass the vita and then what? Mobile gaming is a very fast moving medium its not like console gaming that doesn't move forward for ages. You will soon be able to buy Games that are superior to Vita's and far cheaper. The only thing holding comapnies like Apple back is the crappy touch screen controls and when they eventually figure that out Sony are in trouble. Its just a fact handheld gaming has moved on. The handheld market is a casual one.  I love the Vita but Sony's backward thinking is laughable and reflected in the sales of the vita.

0 Kudos

'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

McNeilio

• Beta Tester
95%
08 Rank
Progress
McNeilio
Accepted Solution
utter pish
0 Kudos

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bobchickenkfc

81%
04 Rank
Progress
bobchickenkfc
Accepted Solution

You may say that but I will be proved right. Does the Vita deserve to fail? NO as I have said its a fantastic bit of Kit but its a very niche market and when it does badly in a country where handheld gaming is king (Japan) it really isnt a good sign for the rest of the world now is it?? 

0 Kudos

'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

LeeRoye

92%
03 Rank
Progress
LeeRoye
Accepted Solution

bobchickenkfc wrote:

Its a great bit of kit I agree, but trust me when I say this it will fail. In two years or less time handheld graphics will surpass the vita and then what? Mobile gaming is a very fast moving medium its not like console gaming that doesn't move forward for ages. You will soon be able to buy Games that are superior to Vita's and far cheaper. The only thing holding comapnies like Apple back is the crappy touch screen controls and when they eventually figure that out Sony are in trouble. Its just a fact handheld gaming has moved on. The handheld market is a casual one.  I love the Vita but Sony's backward thinking is laughable and reflected in the sales of the vita.

LMAO, thats the biggest pile of bull i have read on here in a long time. Can you really see apple putting dual analogue sticks or proper buttons on the Ipad or Iphone. 

Why do people insist on caparing the Ipad to the VITA they are totally different technologies. People moan about the price of vita memory cards yet are more than happy to pay apple an extra £100 to go from a 16 gb to a 32 gig phone or Ipad. Total nonsense. Apple products are way way over priced and i will never buy one. Ill play proper games on my vita thanks. I cant see a game like golden abys ever being able to be run of an ipad. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bobchickenkfc

81%
04 Rank
Progress
bobchickenkfc
Accepted Solution

They might not put controls on the product itself but may make it work with a bluetooth controller. Yes it is unlikely but they have released full console versions of GTA3 and it looks better than the PS2 version and it only about £2. People describe the vita as somewhere between PS2 and PS3 quality graphics, so apple is not far off and no I'm not an apple fanboy I hate them but they have thousands of Apps and games that aren't that bad that are either free or about 69p, thing is the market for a full console experience on the go is very very small people are happy with playing angry birds on the train or whilst having a sh*t, and when they go home they can power up their PS3 for the full uncharted experience and not pay £45 for a cut down version.

0 Kudos

'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

MadforitUK

• Beta Tester
98%
04 Rank
Progress
MadforitUK
Accepted Solution
Why would I want to carry an iPad and a blue tooth controller hardly gaming on the go is it.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

bobchickenkfc

81%
04 Rank
Progress
bobchickenkfc
Accepted Solution

Neither is having to carry a phone and a dedicated games console.

0 Kudos

'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Certinfy

99%
04 Rank
Progress
Certinfy
Accepted Solution

bobchickenkfc wrote:

Neither is having to carry a phone and a dedicated games console.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

If the iPad was also a phone then you might well have a point, but it's not.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

AlexAtkinUK

87%
05 Rank
Progress
AlexAtkinUK
Accepted Solution

There already are bluetooth controllers for phones, but the sheer fact they are not a standard feature of any phone means games have to be specifically written for each different one.  Most games, just don't support them at all because the priority will always be on what every phone has, not what a few phones "might" have.

Also, they are only really practical if they are actual docks/grips which are often even more bulky that carrying a Vita in your pocket.  Then there is the fact you have to remember to keep them charged and they actually drain your phones battery even more due to having to run bluetooth itself.

The Vita on the other hand has few compromises in its design, its just brilliant and has no impact on your phones battery at all unless you decide to use WiFi tethering to get it online - which is why I bought the 3G model.

Now supposing they DO make a phone with gaming control on it such as Xperia Play.   The problem is I'm not going to compromise the quality of my phone JUST so that it plays games better.  There are plenty of features I prioritise over gaming when it comes to a phone.

The fact I wanted a to be able to shoot 3D photos and video immediately killed any potential for a gaming phone.  Even then, if I could have had that on a gaming phone what are the chances it would also have had a 4.2" screen and a dual-core CPU?  All factors to why I chose my phone over the Xperia Play.

If there was one thing I really wish I had on my phone but I do not its not gaming controls, its a qwerty keyboard.  Because that is FAR more useful for a "communication device" than gaming.

So I have my phone which is optimised for communication duties, and my Vita which is optimised for gaming.  There will NEVER be a device which can bundle both things together as well as both devices do those job seperately, period.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

SCOTCHmfCHIEF

50%
02 Rank
Progress
SCOTCHmfCHIEF
Accepted Solution

how to you get that interface picture, its smart as *****

0 Kudos

hearts

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Muttykins

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Muttykins
Accepted Solution

Why is it people complain about the price of sony consoles yet they will willing pay ridiculous amount for any apple product i just see these sort of people as talking out of their backsides.

Ipod touch for example is practically the same price of the vita but with the fuction to play proper games yet people will pay willing for that piece of crap.

The only overly expensive part of owning a vita is the buying memory cards.

Do you really think that when 1080p tabs & phones are out that games will stay as cheap as i don't developers aren't going to go to all the effort of making games like that to be sold at a loss.

Most of the games for tabs & phones now are no more different than psn games or minis so they can be sold at low price as development isn't to costly.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel