By Plambey

Plambey

99%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

So I Just Received My Vita.... (Initial Impressions Inside)

[ Edited ]
72 Replies 1,477 Views edited 14-02-2012

...and what can I say, other than WOW! this is one seriously slick device. as a big fan of technology and devices such as tablets, ios devices and android devices, the first thing i have to comment on is how slick the Vita UI is. works really well, lovely and smooth and very responsive when flicking through different pages/screens etc.

this is only a small bit of impressions about a few of the featues i've tested, an no doubt theres still tonnes left i've to find out but i thought i'd share a few of the points i had!

what may only be a small thing to you, but the PS Vita's messaging function is absolutely lovely.

while the ps3 works in a single message mode each time, the vita works similar to that found on an android/ios device, with the messages between users being threaded, so u can view the conversation you are having as opposed to clicking into and exiting out of each individual message to try make sense of the converstation on ps3. would love to see this messagin on the ps3 instead as its lovely.

the little notifications alert also works similar to mobiles, with an unobtrusive circlular icon on the top right of the screen when in menus, u can then click to expand and view all notifications, and then click on individual notifications and jump to that app, ie when u have a new message.

i remember reading an article recently, not sure if it was ign or gamespot, where they complained about the time between pressing the vita home button, and the time the screen takes to jump to life, and because of this time, they often found themselves re-locking the screen as they werent sure if they'd pressed the button or not...

ignore these guys, the vita takes the same time to open up each time u press that home button, its not hard to learn this.

camera i'm surprsingly happy with, although taking a picture of my disheveled self at 9am this morning did nothing for my ego let me tell you!

screen, as you've no doubt, is crisp as hell, and while the console itself does take a while to get used to holding, as its quite different to the dualshock, i'm already well on my way to feeling at home with it.

as for the people complained about the vita ports being difficult to open. rest assured, i bite my nails constantly, and i had no trouble opening the ports. they are well designed so that they are not fiddly and open when you dont want them to.

the screenshot function is also lovely, and when browsing your shots, the vita is clever enough to categorize your photos into the scenarios they were taking in, ie. "trophy collection" or "group messaging" depending on what game/app you were in when you took the photo, very slick.

i've got UC GA and little deviants to try out on it, but i havent tried either yet, i've been too busy mucking about with the settings and customisation, as well as the welcome park which has a few nice little puzzle games to keep u ticking over.

any of the rest of you got your vita yet and care to share your opinions? also, if any of you have any questions go ahead and ask and i'll try my best to answer what i can, if i can!

i'm yet to try out features such as remote play and psp titles on it etc as i'm currently still in bed dyin with the flu so i havent been downstairs yet to sync it up to the ps3!

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cringles88
Accepted Solution

How did you get it so early?

I'm starting to look forward to it myself. I'm starting to lean more to ''buying'' it now from reading these forums.

0 Kudos

Re: So I Just Received My Vita.... (Initial Impressions Inside)

/16

Plambey

99%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Plambey
Accepted Solution
i may or may not have been lucky enough to win one... its a lovely piece of tech and i think it compliments the ps3 nicely, and infact does quite a few things better than the ps3 itself..
0 Kudos

/16

Spirit0fLight

90%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Spirit0fLight
Accepted Solution

Plambey wrote:
i may or may not have been lucky enough to win one... its a lovely piece of tech and i think it compliments the ps3 nicely, and infact does quite a few things better than the ps3 itself..

The Sun competition or another? Just asking cause I aint heard anything from TheSun so I guess I didnt win.. hehe

0 Kudos

/16

ethan_23

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ethan_23
Accepted Solution

Spirit0fLight wrote:

Plambey wrote:

The Sun competition or another? Just asking cause I aint heard anything from TheSun so I guess I didnt win.. hehe

Same haha

0 Kudos

/16

baz178

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
baz178
Accepted Solution
Same I should stop reading these there getting me excited :-)
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

TalllPaul

• Beta Tester
97%
11 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TalllPaul
Accepted Solution
Great review :D Forgot you won one you Jammy Dodger lol

So it's living up to expectations so far?
0 Kudos

/16

Plambey

99%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Plambey
Accepted Solution
still havent dived into the games yet bud! still marvelling at the messaging tbh and the UI in general, it jus works so well! cant wait for the psn store to go live and to stick in uncharted in the next few mins!
0 Kudos

/16

FooFan73

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FooFan73
Accepted Solution

Do me a personal favour and pair it up with the PS3.

I'd love to know how well remote play works, hopefully there's no input lag which the PSP had

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

SoySuperBien

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SoySuperBien
Accepted Solution

FooFan73 wrote:

I'd love to know how well remote play works, hopefully there's no input lag which the PSP had

There's no input lag because nothing works lol.

"this content cannot be used during remote play"...for everything (game wise, movies work fine).

Not sure if i'm doing something wrong, which may well be the case.

Edit: would it make a difference if it's a wired connection? I'm running the ps3 wireless atm.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

KillerXp82

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KillerXp82
Accepted Solution

SoySuperBien wrote:

FooFan73 wrote:

"this content cannot be used during remote play"...for everything lol.

Apart from PS1 games, it's only way you can play them on the vita right now.

0 Kudos

/16

FooFan73

90%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FooFan73
Accepted Solution

SoySuperBien wrote:

FooFan73 wrote:

Not that kind of remote play, I meant for PS1 games 

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

Plambey

99%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Plambey
Accepted Solution

FooFan73 wrote:

SoySuperBien wrote:

FooFan73 wrote:

Not that kind of remote play, I meant for PS1 games 

Remote play just there seemed pretty flawless, the only ps1 game i have that works at the min is ff ix so I'll give it a whirl  an report back

0 Kudos

/16

DJ91rocks

88%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DJ91rocks
Accepted Solution

Nice little review :smileyhappy:

Looking forward to getting one next week.

0 Kudos

/16

Plambey

99%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Plambey
Accepted Solution

so a few more things ive noticed, there is a lovely customisation option re trophy cards, with ps3 you're restricted to the colour choices, with the vita there are some lovely designs to choose from and they include a lot of playstation faces including ape escape and some others! there is probably 100+ to choose from, ive gone for blue with clouds, its great. so that brings me on to two points of feedback now.

A. I've taken pics with the vita to show you guys these lovely trophy Id cards, but i cannot upload them the the forum from my vita as it says i need a new flash update. hopefully this will b fixed soon as I'm writing this post from my vita and its perfect !

and B. as I've said, the messaging feature is an absolute dream to use, but upon turning on my ps3 , i noticed i had an unread msg notification. it turns out that it was all the messages i had been sending and receiving on the vita, yet all marked unread. so in turn i had to open/close each msg that ive already read in order to get rid of the notification, and going through msgs on ps3 is not nearly as seemless as the vita experience...

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Tcoaster

66%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tcoaster
Accepted Solution
One thing i have wondered as i cant seem to get a straight answer anywhere is , do the game carts come with space for game saves or do you need a memory card for saves?
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

QuietlyWrong

• Beta Tester
94%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

Tcoaster wrote:
One thing i have wondered as i cant seem to get a straight answer anywhere is , do the game carts come with space for game saves or do you need a memory card for saves?

It depends on the game. There is no straight answer. If the game requires a memory card, this information is clearly displayed on the box.

0 Kudos

/16

BlackKnightJP

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BlackKnightJP
Accepted Solution

Tcoaster wrote:
Most game will require a memory card to save. Some like Uncharted even require a memory card to initiate and start the game.
0 Kudos

/16

Plambey

99%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Plambey
Accepted Solution

also, to add to my earlier point. i just turned on my vita there after being on my ps3, and got the "new messages" notification. turns out they were the ones that i had receieved and read on my ps3 earlier. so therefor once again, i had to "read" them just to get rid of the unread icons, even though i'd already done that. the messaging feature is great on the vita but they need to sort out the shared messaging. i dont mind my messages being synced to both devices, ie after turning on my vita, it loads up the messages that i may have received on my ps4, but to mark them as unread is a design flaw.

i myself find this very iritating, and i would receive a max of 6 psn messages a day, on a VERY good day. for those who are forever receiving messages, i can see this being an issue...

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

AlexAtkinUK

86%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AlexAtkinUK
Accepted Solution

Presumably it works like this because the Vita uses threaded messaging, so you read it like a conversation. 

In order for that to work when you are messaging on PS3 it needs to ensure those messages are delivered to the Vita as well.  The mistake is that they should have been able to mark these messages as read so they do not show up as new.

So in order to ensure you get a consistent history of the conversation on all devices, it sends a copy to them all.  Of course due to the PS3 lacking the conversation view, it doesn't really work that well. 

I guess they didn't want to make major changes to how the PS3 messaging works to accomodate for the Vita, so they cheated.  With any luck they will fix it later.

I would rather put up with this hack than how it works on PS3/Xbox.  On PS Vita its now better than Xbox Live for messaging which is awesome as I often received replies from people on Xbox Live that didn't make sense because I had forgotten what the message I sent them was.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Plambey

99%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Plambey
Accepted Solution

AlexAtkinUK wrote:

Presumably it works like this because the Vita uses threaded messaging, so you read it like a conversation. 

In order for that to work when you are messaging on PS3 it needs to ensure those messages are delivered to the Vita as well.  The mistake is that they should have been able to mark these messages as read so they do not show up as new.

So in order to ensure you get a consistent history of the conversation on all devices, it sends a copy to them all.  Of course due to the PS3 lacking the conversation view, it doesn't really work that well. 

I guess they didn't want to make major changes to how the PS3 messaging works to accomodate for the Vita, so they cheated.  With any luck they will fix it later.

I would rather put up with this hack than how it works on PS3/Xbox.  On PS Vita its now better than Xbox Live for messaging which is awesome as I often received replies from people on Xbox Live that didn't make sense because I had forgotten what the message I sent them was.

yep thats what i was sayin in my earlier point, i understand the need for the messages to be shared between the devices. the vita messaging is an absolute dream, as you said, it gets rid of that problem of wonderin what people are replyin to etc. the ONLY issue is the fact that they're marked as unread, i'm sure its a simple change, but i think an important change none the less...

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel