10 Rank
Progress

Sound Shapes: Community Challenge

[ Edited ]
29 Replies 1,230 Views edited 26-08-2012
26 Aug 2012
By Bearskopff

Hello creation entrepreneurs and audiophiles,

If like me, you've been having a ball with Soundshapes recently, it might have also dawned on you that the Editor mode is surprisingly robust. Now, my musical talents boil down to yawns, burps & mumbles. However, I can make pictures - though they're not very good either. Still, not one to be beaten, I've conjured up a level and upon doing so, had a revelation of sorts...

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm rather proud to announce the Sound Shapes Community Challenge! The premise is simple, I set a theme every other Sunday and it's up to you to try and make something that captures the essence of the theme! See, simples!

As I mentioned before, I'll be joining in too. In fact, I'll be publishing a level based on the theme just as I make each fortnightly announcement on the forum so you can check it out, lol heartidly at its rubbishness and make something leagues better within minutes!

Heck, if there's a particularly brilliant creation, I'll see if I can rummage up a little treat for you. How does that sound eh?

Thanks,

Bear

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Bearskopff

• Beta Tester
93%
10 Rank
Progress
Bearskopff
Accepted Solution

This weeks theme is.....

*drum roll*

METAL GEAR SOLID

So, as promised, I've uploaded a level for you to check out & hopefully inspire you enough to make your own. Simply boot up Sound Shapes and search for: MGS: Soliton Radar

After that, get creating! You've got from today until Sunday 9th September. Once you're happy, publish the level and let us know its name by posting in this thread so everyone else can check it out! Simples!

Thanks,

Bear!

EDIT: It seems my level doesn't look particularly grand on the Vita. Though, if you try it on PS3 it should look...lovely :D

0 Kudos

Re: Sound Shapes: Community Challenge

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Bearskopff

• Beta Tester
93%
10 Rank
Progress
Bearskopff
Accepted Solution

Good news folks,

I've updated the level to fix the art issues. Also, I've compiled a few screenshots so you can see it here too! How nice am I eh? :D

You play as Solid Blob, and you need to navigate the dock area using...stealth! Hug the walls, avoid the enemies and collect all the rations - in record time :P

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Award Winner
/16

litterature

• Award Winner
98%
09 Rank
Progress
litterature
Accepted Solution

Here is the link of the level if everyone want to queue this :

http://www.soundshapesgame.com/fr/level/WdCRTwfc

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

MissSouthampton

• Beta Tester
96%
09 Rank
Progress
MissSouthampton
Accepted Solution

When I have played the game and unlocked more stuff I shall make a level :D

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

rank__bajin

86%
04 Rank
Progress
rank__bajin
Accepted Solution

Nice one! I was thinking that Sound Shapes had died a death because there's been hardly any chat on here (unless I missed it )

I'll have a go at this - like the idea of themes!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Yaster

• Beta Tester
93%
05 Rank
Progress
Yaster
Accepted Solution
Have a search around the forum as a whole to look for Sound Shapes discussion, it's a werid one to pigeon hole. It;s a Vita game, so you can discuss it in here, but it's also a PS3 game. And the game is downloadable too, so there will be threads in Store Games.
0 Kudos

yaster's Streambadge

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

MissSouthampton

• Beta Tester
96%
09 Rank
Progress
MissSouthampton
Accepted Solution

Yaster wrote:
Have a search around the forum as a whole to look for Sound Shapes discussion, it's a werid one to pigeon hole. It;s a Vita game, so you can discuss it in here, but it's also a PS3 game. And the game is downloadable too, so there will be threads in Store Games.

lol that's gotta be annoying for you lot to categorise. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Bearskopff

• Beta Tester
93%
10 Rank
Progress
Bearskopff
Accepted Solution

MissSouthampton wrote:

When I have played the game and unlocked more stuff I shall make a level :D

I used the same approach, though only for one thing. The large horizontal lines. They make the level look all radar-like :D

rank__bajin wrote:

Nice one! I was thinking that Sound Shapes had died a death because there's been hardly any chat on here (unless I missed it )

I'll have a go at this - like the idea of themes!

I'll be setting quite ambitious themes hopefully. We'll see how this one goes first, but with a fistful of luck, we could get a library of amazing themed levels in no time :)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Muttykins

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Muttykins
Accepted Solution

I'm trying to build a level but i'm having problems with the level design.

I've tried to do with setting the music & beat down 1st which i have done ok with i think, but strugging with building the level around the tune.

I'm not even gonna atempt a metal gear type level as i think it will turn out a complete shambles.

Also i've found building my levels on the ps3 so much easier then building them on the vita.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Bearskopff

• Beta Tester
93%
10 Rank
Progress
Bearskopff
Accepted Solution

Muttykins wrote:

I've tried to do with setting the music & beat down 1st which i have done ok with i think, but strugging with building the level around the tune.

I'm not even gonna atempt a metal gear type level as i think it will turn out a complete shambles.

Also i've found building my levels on the ps3 so much easier then building them on the vita.

See, I work in the opposite way. I make it look (slightly) nice, and then try to fit the sound elements in later. Might go someway into explaining why most of my attempts at levels have ended up sounding a little bit bland :D

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

rank__bajin

86%
04 Rank
Progress
rank__bajin
Accepted Solution

Bearskopff wrote:

Muttykins wrote:

See, I work in the opposite way. I make it look (slightly) nice, and then try to fit the sound elements in later. Might go someway into explaining why most of my attempts at levels have ended up sounding a little bit bland :D

I'm doing the same - working on level design, gameplay (such as it is) and experimentation (some things I just can't do :Shame:) before I add the "music".

I think when you are doing a themed level where the theme has stronger game play/style characteristics than a recognisable musical style (I'm not a big MGS fan - only just started playing them since I got my vita - so could be wrong here) then it's easier to build the level first.

There's no right or wrong way though but maybe you need to compromise - if the music is more important then get that down and build the level around it and it should be obvious to players that the music was the driving factor.

I hope to release my MGS level today or tomorrow - I spent about 3 hours play testing just one part of it last night because it was too random in terms of actually being able to progress! 

As it stands I have yet to put a single note in it - so far I have just been building the screens that tell my MGS story.

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Bearskopff

• Beta Tester
93%
10 Rank
Progress
Bearskopff
Accepted Solution
Can't wait to see your level, rank__bajin! :)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

rank__bajin

86%
04 Rank
Progress
rank__bajin
Accepted Solution
At the moment it looks like it might be the only one! I'm about to go and work on it for an hour but realistically it will be late tonight before I can publish.

And don't get too excited - it's a lot different in execution than it is in my mind :)

Sadly, some things are not fully possible with the tools so you might have to suspend belief at some points.
0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

el-ve

• Beta Tester
100%
16 Rank
Progress
el-ve
Accepted Solution

My friend has made a level He's not on the PS community but I think his level is pretty good for a 1st attempt, it's not MGS related but there is a hidden screen with extra notes to collect.

So if anyone would like to play it (please do and like it!)

Search for "Underground to Freedom" by IRokusUK

Cheers in advance I think you'll enjoy it!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

rank__bajin

86%
04 Rank
Progress
rank__bajin
Accepted Solution

Finally, it's complete! :smileyvery-happy:

MGS:Indulgence

Sound Snake's rockets have penetrated the hull of the largest Metal Gear developed to date.

Help him take it down by infiltrating and breaking the shield that guards the neural-core before making your escape for a celebratory cigar!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Bearskopff

• Beta Tester
93%
10 Rank
Progress
Bearskopff
Accepted Solution

Sterling work! Just had a quick play through and it was great! I especially liked the Snake toward the end :D

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Muttykins

92%
04 Rank
Progress
Muttykins
Accepted Solution

Finished a level not metal gear related but & probably pretty naff but hey what can you do .

It's called A tuned.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

rank__bajin

86%
04 Rank
Progress
rank__bajin
Accepted Solution

Muttykins wrote:

Finished a level not metal gear related but & probably pretty naff but hey what can you do .

It's called A tuned.

I'll give this a go later

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

Bearskopff

• Beta Tester
93%
10 Rank
Progress
Bearskopff
Accepted Solution

Red Dead Redemption

Hello Sound Shapes fans! This weeks theme is Red Dead Redemption to both celebrate its appearance in PlayStation Plus - and the fact the Old West is as cool as cucumbers and colt revolvers!

As usual, I've uploaded a very brief level to get your creative juices flowing which you can queue by clicking THIS or by searching for it via Sound Shapes. Just keep an eye out for 'RDR: Tumbleweed' and you'll have found it. Simples!

You've got two weeks to either conjure up your own level, or download mine and edit onwards! I can't wait to see what you talented people have for me this week!

In regards to last week, rank_baijan showed you all how it was done by making a brilliant level packed with RPG's and a nonchalant Solid Snake! Excellent work buddy - and I'll be throwing a PM your way shortly!

Thanks,

Bear

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

rank__bajin

86%
04 Rank
Progress
rank__bajin
Accepted Solution

Thanks! (although I was the only entry...)

Just tried your level - it's awesome. That leaderboard is like the 100m...and I'm the first to go under 10 seconds!!!:King:

Looking forward to having a go at a level with RDR as the theme but will have to rethink the art style that first came to mind having seen your level.

Hope we get some more levels this time - come on the rest of you! Have a go!

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel