23%
02 Rank
Progress

Vita power and home buttons don't work

4 Replies 386 Views Created 25-04-2017
25 Apr 2017
By killinane

Hi everyone,

I have a European 3G PS Vita (the original model) running firmware 3.65, though I had the same problem on an older firmware version before I updated yesterday.

So a few months ago a number of my electronics, including my Vita, got soaked (a window broke open during a rainstorm while I was out all day). I let the Vita dry for a few days, but then I got really busy and forgot about it.It was left on a table but treated carefully. I charged it yesterday for the first time since then, and then tried to turn it on. Unfortunately, there is an issue with it.These are the symptoms:

1. The power button does not work at all.

2. The home button can be used to turn on the system, but does not work at any point after that.

3. I can use apps as normal, but I cannot exit them as the home button doesn't work.

4. It eventually goes into sleep mode. If I then press the home button, it comes back on, but after a few seconds the system goes to the power off screen. After another second it turns off. At this point the home button flashes blue five times.

I have tried holding the power and home buttons. I have tried all five options in the recovery menu. I have taken out the game card, memory card and SIM card. It makes no difference.

Many of these symptoms appear to be similar to the 'Blue flashing light of death', but in that situation the home button flashes continuously until the power runs out. Another common problem is when the home button flashes orange five times and won't power on, but I have seen no reference to my specific problem.

Does anybody have a solution to this, or do I have to send it in for repair?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
LABELS: System
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MVP
/16

Oran_Gina

• MVP
99%
15 Rank
Progress
Oran_Gina
Accepted Solution

I think you're probably looking at repair. It's not simply a "fault" , ie like the one's you describe it being akin to.

The symptoms you're seeing are far more likely caused by water damage.

It's quite possible all that is required is cleaning some of the button contact points with IPA or similar.

There could of course also be further damage though.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

killinane

23%
02 Rank
Progress
killinane
Oran_Gina
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the reply Oran.

Yes, I suppose it will have to be repaired. What's interesting is that I tried it yesterday again, and this time it the light flashed three times before it went off instead of five, so that seems to be variable. As soon as I get some tools I'll take the back off to see if there is anything obviously wrong with it inside, but as you said, it's probably water damage. At least I got all of my data off of it (I would never complete Peace Walker to near-100% again!).

Do Sony repair systems or do they provide refurbished ones?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

yahoosch

21%
02 Rank
Progress
yahoosch
Accepted Solution

What did you expect? It got soaked, now it's broken, not surprising. Sorry to tell you, but it's broken and probably unfixable. Maybe be more careful if you get a new one.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

Arctic_Fox321

95%
02 Rank
Progress
Arctic_Fox321
yahoosch
Accepted Solution

Just 'cause an electronic device gets wet, doesn't mean it is automatically broken.

Besides, how it got wet was completely out of the OP's control.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel