By Rivers-of-Sand

Rivers-of-Sand

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Way to backup just Vita save game files?

21 Replies 29,521 Views Created 27-02-2012

Is there a way to backup just the savegame file rather than all the content on the vita? I notice in content manager you can transfer psp gave save data, but I couldn't see a way to transfer the Vita game save data other than via the backup tab.

I lost my Wipeout save due to it corrupting on friday (posted the link to that issue below) and it meant I lost all the progress I'd made. But it's going to be a pain backing up my entire system consistantly rather than just a few small save game files.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Technical-Help/Wipeout-Save-Data-Corrupted-C1-11843-7/m-p/152...

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

NOZonline

99%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
NOZonline
Accepted Solution
You back up the game save buy backing up the game itself!
0 Kudos

Re: Way to backup just Vita save game files?

/16

Rivers-of-Sand

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Rivers-of-Sand
Accepted Solution
So there's no way to do just the savefile. That is a shame.

/16

TehPhilosopher

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TehPhilosopher
Accepted Solution

I posed a related question, and this is something Sony must address quickly in a future firmware update.

0 Kudos

/16

wizzz7able

70%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
wizzz7able
Accepted Solution

if im not mistaken you can backup only the save data of psp/other games, but for the ps vita theres no such option. Can this mean its not possible to only backup save data? Why would they keep such an option only for the psp games then :smileyindifferent:

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

Killa-byte

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Killa-byte
Accepted Solution
Maybe sony is trying to stop trophy cheaters.
0 Kudos

/16

Razgriz375

92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Razgriz375
Accepted Solution
Could well be to prevent cheating as far as trophies are concerned, but couldn't they just lock save data to accounts? Either way, this is ridiculous. and I hate it. But the PS Vita has a lot of issues that need to be looked at such as the disconnection from PSN when it automatically turns the screen off and checking messages from friends....
0 Kudos

Raptr Forum Signature
/16

Tonhas

41%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tonhas
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

/16

FireCrow1013

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FireCrow1013
Accepted Solution

Rivers-of-Sand calls this a shame. I call it absolutely damn unacceptable.

So if I just want to back my save up, I have to back up the ENTIRE batch of data for the game? The PS3 and PSP have a perfect save backup system, where the saves are separate from everything else -- the way save games have been programmed for years.

This system? This lack of being able to back up ONLY save files? Yeah, because of this, I'm not buying a Vita. I'm not even going to consider it until this problem is fixed. And yes, it IS a problem.

0 Kudos

/16

TheImortalSpyk

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TheImortalSpyk
Accepted Solution

It's not really a hardship is it? On older systems, you didnt even have the choice to back-up. I'm sure Sony will sort it eventually, but its easy enough to back up the whole system. It's not like you back the thing up by throwing wads of twenty pound notes into a fire, it's just an extra forty seconds of time to back up the whole system compared to going through and individually selecting the items you want to back-up (which I'm reasonably sure you'll moan about doing it that way too once it's implemented). Theres much better reasons not to buy the vita. Stop throwing your rattle out of the pram!

0 Kudos

/16

Rivers-of-Sand

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Rivers-of-Sand
Accepted Solution
It took me 34mins to back up the whole system last night actually. Compare that with how long it would just take to back up my save game files which must be in the kbs/mbs. I've already had one corruption of data and so I may be a bit paranoid but doing that every night/few nights will be a pain.

I'd actually consider ps+ if I could cloud backup my saves from the vita.
0 Kudos

/16

TehPhilosopher

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TehPhilosopher
Accepted Solution

Rivers-of-Sand schreef:

I'd actually consider ps+ if I could cloud backup my saves from the vita.

Don't give Sony any ideas. Backing up saved games must be a feature in an upcoming firmware.

0 Kudos

/16

acolyte9

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
acolyte9
Accepted Solution

why is it taking you guys so long? just transfer the game over, don't need to back it up.

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cringles88
Accepted Solution

My last backup was over 5GB!! Think I had a load of demos on though haha.

0 Kudos

/16

TehPhilosopher

84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TehPhilosopher
Accepted Solution

acolyte9 schreef:

why is it taking you guys so long? just transfer the game over, don't need to back it up.

Because that's how long it takes to backup 6+ gigs of data via USB. That's exactly the issue: no way to backup just the save games.

0 Kudos

/16

KUV1977

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KUV1977
Accepted Solution
If you only have retail-versions and only save files on the memory card it may be very quick but i have several full versions on my card and it took me an hour to backup the whole system. Another hour to restore it (to another card). Just backing up saves would be sweet... Preferably to the plus-cloud... However it might have to do with all the notifications you get for games and also near-items. Maybe it is not as easily seperated as one might like.
0 Kudos

/16

Rivers-of-Sand

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Rivers-of-Sand
Accepted Solution
It's a pain especially as my confidence in the system's stability has been rocked so soon. I'm sure it was a random corruption and won't happen to me again, at least for a while, but it's made me want to back it up regularly as I had quite a few Elite Passes on Wipeout that I may not have bothered to do again.

I've bought all my vita games on card however I have a few psp games and downloadable ones (i.e. Super Stardust) and as TehPhilosopher says it takes a while to backup 6GB+ of data, which is pretty easy to reach on the vita with the size of downloadable titles!
0 Kudos

/16

KUV1977

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
KUV1977
Accepted Solution
Unfortunately it's the same for me as confidence in the system goes. I lost all trophies for Uncharted while all other games synced their progress to PSN as is supposed to. Also I lost most of my activity-logs for no apparent reason. I can see my friends activities for about a week back but my own activities have mostly vanished. Games I have achieved several trophies or even 100% as in Welcome Park days ago, show now that I played them for the first time yesterday. I think that first of all the activities get not backed up correctly and moreover are probably deleted from the server under whatever circumstances. As far as I am concerned I'd rather not have features that don't work anyway. I most certainly would want some more control over things i back up...
0 Kudos

/16

PaddyStardust

73%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PaddyStardust
Accepted Solution

What seems dumb here is that you can't just keep the game saves seperate from the game itself. I'm quite a prolific gamer, so I swap out games all the time. It seems like if I want to retain, say, my BlazBlue save, I'll need to back up 3.5 Gigs of data FOREVER. I mean, its bad enough now, but imagine two years time, with gigs and gigs of data being kept for the sake of a 2 Mb save file. 

It seems like we're being totally discouraged from using the PSN store, if we can't save our progress easily.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

European_Gamer

• Award Winner
98%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
European_Gamer
Accepted Solution
The problem as some of you said, is that you have to back-up every game, video and pictures just to get the save data from the retail games to a new memory card.
0 Kudos

ilike2game

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
ilike2game
Accepted Solution

I've been backing up my saves since ps1 by copying them to a seperate memory card. It is pretty much unacceptable that you have to save a gig and a half of crap just for 1 save file.

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel