42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

why i won't be buying a ps vita......

18 Replies 460 Views Created 15-02-2012
Why o why is it always the uk that suffers from price rip offs, fyi EVERYONE the little old uk is going to have to pay the most for a ps vital.
Japan wifi £205, 3g £246
EU £209 + £251
Usa £160 + £192
And the good old rip off uk.....
£229.99 + £279.99.
It really pi**es me off that we always suffer, part of me hopes its a massive failure just to prove a point. The other half wants it but not until we have a decent pricing to match the rest of the world.
Just read this info from 'play' magazine where quote 'the appealing price point'! Absolutely rubbish when you learn that the yanks can get a 3g version £70 cheaper than a simple UK wifi version.
So sony uk get your act together, you forget the worlds a smaller place now WE WANT EQUAL PRICING TOO.
I might be missing out but in these hard times I'd rather miss out and keep my wallet clean than know those smug yanks are yet again getting the best deal...........
Yours not very happy jamietzr250r........
LABELS:
Just a gamer who wants world wide peace and fairness...........
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

dawve30

90%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
dawve30
Accepted Solution
Would you like to buy my used copy of ludo to keep yourself amused?

Re: why i won't be buying a ps vita......

Photobucket
/16

RotorHed

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RotorHed
Accepted Solution
Read some other threads - no one is paying RRP in the UK.

£209 gets you a wifi vita, an 8Gb card and a game for £15 (if you want it) from Amazon. With an 8Gb card being around £20 that makes a UK Vita comparable with the US price and the £209 includes taxes which the US price doesn't.

So, I guess you'll be buying a Vita after all right?

Rotor.
0 Kudos

/16

AlexAtkinUK

86%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AlexAtkinUK
Accepted Solution

And once again COMPLETELY missing the fact that tax is higher over here and it has to cover the running costs of their regional offices.  It never seems to occur to people that it might just cost companies more to import their hardware into the UK than elsewhere so they charge accordingly?

The thing you SHOULD be complaining about is the memory card prices and not at least including a small memory card with the console.

/16

Codey47

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Codey47
Accepted Solution

And here is why I will buy a vita

Just am.........

and most of us lived happily ever after

The end

0 Kudos

Playstation Revamped

Jesus Teabagged Me
/16

toondw

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
toondw
Accepted Solution
Emmmm, registered today and 1st post telling us why your not buying. Ok, thanks for that and goodbye i presume? ;)
0 Kudos

http://eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/toondw/
/16

jamietzr250r

42%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jamietzr250r
Accepted Solution
Rotor your maths need work,
Alex, I could give a ...... about taxes or regional offices thats THERE problems not mine the consumer, as for the memory card you've hit the nail on the head, keep thinking like that and you'll understand my point......ty
0 Kudos

Just a gamer who wants world wide peace and fairness...........
/16

RotorHed

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RotorHed
Accepted Solution
Registered today + 2 posts = troll....

Seems my maths are just fine lol.

Rotor.
0 Kudos

/16

AlexAtkinUK

86%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AlexAtkinUK
Accepted Solution

Of course additional costs to Sony compared to elsewhere is our problem, because they raised the price to compensate.

Saying "oh they should make a bigger loss over here to make up for it" is completely ureasonable.

Now I'm not saying for certain it does COST them this much more to import over here, but that is usually the excuse given and without proof to the contrary we just have to believe it.  The fact ALL companies do it also adds fuel to the fire that there are genuine reasons for doing it, beyond ripping us off.

0 Kudos

/16

Oxymoron28

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Oxymoron28
Accepted Solution

No, it's YOUR problem. PS Vita is a luxury. It's not something you need so your complaint about the taxes is null.

0 Kudos

/16

felixmsw

33%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
felixmsw
Accepted Solution

You know what, I preordered.  I saved up my money and secured a WiFi only model with an 8GB card, i'm not complaining about the price. I bought it, I chose to buy it. If you think it's too expensive the for god sake don't buy it! Jeez people stop moaning.... :Stupid:

0 Kudos

Evolution:
PS1 PS2 PSX PSP PS3 PSV PS4?
/16

Codey47

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Codey47
Accepted Solution

AlexAtkinUK wrote:

And once again COMPLETELY missing the fact that tax is higher over here and it has to cover the running costs of their regional offices.  It never seems to occur to people that it might just cost companies more to import their hardware into the UK than elsewhere so they charge accordingly?

The thing you SHOULD be complaining about is the memory card prices and not at least including a small memory card with the console.

Well, most retailers are throwing in free memory cards with a select few bundles, at time of replying to this.

People are comparing the prices to microsdhc class whatever cards... with class 10 being the highest

SDXC(eXtended Capacity 32GB up to 2TB) being the latest memory cards to hit retail and online stores.

We know how fast the SDHC cards are and what file system that use FAT32

The new SDXC uses exFAT ...a proprietary file system developed by Microsoft.

What we do know about PSVITA memory cards is the size and form factor of the card itself is very similar to the SD card format...but not in price.

What we/I don't know about the new memory cards...unbeknownst to us, is the read and write bandwidth capabilities.

For all we know they could be able to achieve double the bandwith of any memory card available

would the price be then justified?

But the price of MS PRO DUO cards are more or less in the same price vicinity of the new VITA format.

It isn't a problem for me, I'm used to buying Pro Duo HX cards for my PSP.

I can understand if the minority or majority used Dual MicroSDHC to MS Pro Duo adaptors in their PSP's.

To cut a LOOOOOONG story short

people should stop comparing the new memory cards to a class whatever MicroSDHC

0 Kudos

Playstation Revamped

Jesus Teabagged Me
/16

xElfenLied_US

85%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xElfenLied_US
Accepted Solution
It's because the pound is worth more that's why!
0 Kudos

Не верь, не бойся, не проси

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Beta Tester
/16

goonerrob1104

• Beta Tester
94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
goonerrob1104
Accepted Solution
Had enough of moaners about price I knew how much it was months ago so I saved up like not buying any new games and gave up on luxurys now I have enough to get 3G vita 16gb memory and about 5 games :)

follow me on twitter @goonerrob1104
/16

AlexAtkinUK

86%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AlexAtkinUK
Accepted Solution

I find it unlikely the memory cards are even as fast as lower end class 10 microsd cards, based on how long Wipeout takes to load.  Also you cannot use a blanket statement like that as class 10 only refers the minimum speed a card must achieve even when full of content, many cards are much faster than 10MB/s in real world use and some of those cards will still be cheaper than the Vita cards because they have to compete with other manufacturers.

We shall see once I get my Vita as I will time how long it takes to copy games from my PS3 to the Vita, although that only will show the write speed which is usually slower than the read speed.

Like I said though, its not all about the price of the memory cards to me its more the fact even 16GB is rather small.  Lets say I already have a PSP with digital downloads and want to put all those on there, I could have filled it already before downloading any Vita games. 

I have already had 8GB in my PSP for some time now, I expected Vita cards to be considerably larger and it puzzles me they would even bother selling 4GB cards when they are trying to encourage people to go digital.  It seems the me the ONLY reason this has happened is because at the current prices a 64GB would cost almost as much as a Vita itself and a 128GB considerably more, so they know its not worth releasing them until they have made enough money back on the overpriced cards to drop the price and release larger sizes at sane prices.

I just feel Sony went about things totally wrong with the memory card issue.  Yes I think the Vita is totally worth it, but I think they were short sighted to do it this way.  If they had included 3.5GB built-in memory (4GB chip, 512MB used for the firmware) I think they would STILL have sold a ton of memory cards but without upsetting their customers because they would have filled up that space quickly and gone "oh dear, I better get more space" whereas now instead they got "cheeky sods FORCING me to get a memory card", its simple psychology.  Instead I think they did it like this to strong arm the bigger retailers into taking a hit on their profits by bundling memory cards in.

0 Kudos

/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

The US and EU price you have posted DO NOT INCLOUD THE VAT PRICE!

When you buy a VITA in the UK you see the Price and VAT already on it.

In the US and EU you See the price minus the VAT

Why do they do it this way?

Each state in the US has a different % of VAT

Each country in the EU have a different % of VAT

Still fall a little short but that fluxuating exchange rates

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
/16

Codey47

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Codey47
Accepted Solution

AlexAtkinUK wrote:

I find it unlikely the memory cards are even as fast as lower end class 10 microsd cards, based on how long Wipeout takes to load.

We shall see once I get my Vita as I will time how long it takes to copy games from my PS3 to the Vita, although that only will show the write speed which is usually slower than the read speed.

Excerpt from TSA

"One of the few complaints I had with WipEout 2048 was the loading times, which were upwards of 45 seconds to load each track.

Reports are coming in that the game has received its first patch, though, which takes the game to version 1.01 and reduces the load times by around 10 to 15 seconds, as we reported would be the case in our load times round-up.

The patch isn’t currently available with the European version of the game, so we can’t verify the claims ourselves yet, but we’ll have a look once it’s updated for us, which should hopefully be tomorrow."

We shall see soon if Retail vs Digital have any effect on speeds... if somebody is willing to put this to the test whence made available.

AlexAtkinUK wrote:

Yes, but the transfer rate will be limited to the burst rate of USB 2.0

I've ordered a 32GB card so that should do me for now.

Sorry for the half assed reply... I'm really Jacobs'd cream cracker'd.

0 Kudos

Playstation Revamped

Jesus Teabagged Me
/16

extermin8or_

82%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
extermin8or_
Accepted Solution

xElfenLied_US wrote:
It's because the pound is worth more that's why!

That would make it cheaper..... lol look it is what it is and we have to buy stuff or not- if you wont then don't but the have to cover higher costs somehow; notice the RRP didn't go up in jan which it should have as I believe VAT went up? 

0 Kudos

[img]http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/1411/u3sp13drakethug346x1350.png[/img]
/16

Shadowmancer88

46%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Shadowmancer88
Accepted Solution

Price differences between countries are nothing new and not worth not buying anything over, if you want a Vita just go and buy it.

Price differences are usually beacuse of Tax rates/VAT and of inflation and currency conversion, because of that some countries may get the console cheaper (like ASIA) other may get it more expensive (EU) its out of consumer hands and it has happened for over 20 years. Complaing does nothing, get over it.

0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel