Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: Betreff: Re: Demon's Souls Q & A

DeAd_H0miE wrote:

spacehamsterZH wrote:

You know, one thing that really stands out about this game for me so far is the sense of accomplishment once you get past a major obstacle. I beat the tower knight today (yeah, I know, not very far in yet, but let me blather anyway), and I think the last time I got a high like that from killing a boss was, I dunno, the first time I beat Revenge of Shinobi 20 years ago or something.

Speaking of the tower knight - if any other newcomers are reading this and need a hint, get a bow and about 100 arrows. He's totally easy to beat if you just stand on the battlements and keep shooting arrows until he keels over.

Thanks for the tip , im just about to take him on 

You have to time the shots right though, I think you need to fire just as hes moving his shield to fire the sword beam at you, aim for his head.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 311 of 776 (292 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Betreff: Re: Demon's Souls Q & A

[ Edited ]

Mekismo wrote:

DeAd_H0miE wrote:

spacehamsterZH wrote:

You know, one thing that really stands out about this game for me so far is the sense of accomplishment once you get past a major obstacle. I beat the tower knight today (yeah, I know, not very far in yet, but let me blather anyway), and I think the last time I got a high like that from killing a boss was, I dunno, the first time I beat Revenge of Shinobi 20 years ago or something.

Speaking of the tower knight - if any other newcomers are reading this and need a hint, get a bow and about 100 arrows. He's totally easy to beat if you just stand on the battlements and keep shooting arrows until he keels over.

Thanks for the tip , im just about to take him on 

You have to time the shots right though, I think you need to fire just as hes moving his shield to fire the sword beam at you, aim for his head.

ah sorry, i got mixed up. i was actually in 2-1 not 1-2 lol. 1-2 and the Tower Knight is next on my list, after some more soul farming, so thanks anyway

Message Edited by DeAd_H0miE on 09-11-2009 09:58 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 312 of 776 (287 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Betreff: Re: Betreff: Re: Demon's Souls Q & A

[ Edited ]

You're doing 2 before finishing 1? Why sir, that's insane. :Lol:

Anyway, Mekismo's right, it's all in the timing and it takes a few shots to figure out how to get it right, so you really do want to take about 100 arrows with you. Last thing you want is to run out of arrows before he's dead and then get stomped trying to finish him off with melee attacks. And yep, if you aim basically square at the shield and let the arrow go just as he begins to move the shield away, you hit him.

The important part is to find a spot where you can shoot between the battlements, but stand far enough back so that his lance attack doesn't hit you. If you find a good spot, you barely have to move anymore, you can just stand there and keep hitting him with arrows.

Nachricht bearbeitet durch spacehamsterZH am 09-11-2009 10:17 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 313 of 776 (284 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Betreff: Re: Betreff: Re: Demon's Souls Q & A

spacehamsterZH wrote:

You're doing 2 before finishing 1? Why sir, that's insane. :Lol:

Anyway, Mekismo's right, it's all in the timing and it takes a few shots to figure out how to get it right, so you really do want to take about 100 arrows with you. Last thing you want is to run out of arrows before he's dead and then get stomped trying to finish him off with melee attacks. And yep, if you aim basically square at the shield and let the arrow go just as he begins to move the shield away, you hit him.

The important part is to find a spot where you can shoot between the battlements, but stand far enough back so that his lance attack doesn't hit you. If you find a good spot, you barely have to move anymore, you can just stand there and keep hitting him with arrows.

Nachricht bearbeitet durch spacehamsterZH am 09-11-2009 10:17 PM

I started 4-1 which was scary, i have spent a lot of time farming though, im soul level 32 but i have only finished 1-1 and 2-1 so far. Plenty of arrows are a must then.. as im not the best shot with a bow lol, I will make sure i stock up before i attempt it
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 314 of 776 (276 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Betreff: Re: Betreff: Re: Demon's Souls Q & A

Magic is effective against Tower Knight, but again timing is required.

It's true about the sense of accomplishment, they built the game with that as the major target.  And most who've played it a while would probably agree that the game isn't hard like the critics try to warn people.  It simply needs to be learned, usually by mistakes.  I started another character last night and got through 1-1 on soul level 1 without getting even half killed.

I've gone through in this order - 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 4-1, 2-2, 2-3 and now I'm doing 3-1.  I've visited all areas I have access to.  I liked 4-1 when I first went there because you can get a lot of souls there, especially from being a Blue Phantom.  At the start of 4-2 is the best soul collecting area I have found so far.  5000 souls (WT) for firing 2-5 arrows, not far from the archstone.

I think they've done a brilliant job of asking you to adapt for each area.  Whether a weapon change is needed or a different strategy to the fighting, and of course all the bosses are different. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 315 of 776 (265 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Re: Demon's Souls Q & A

McWopper wrote:
I'm planning to approach the thing that shoots loads of arrows in 3-1 soon.  Will any shield protect me or do I need a big one to hide behind?

Nothing will protect you - avoid getting hit at all costs.

Spoiler(?) tip (highlight to view): when you first come across the arrow tower, you simply need to cross it's path once to get a key. I believe you can come back along a ledge that avoids the arrows, otherwise just cross the path like you did first time. Don't worry about all the goodies - later on you'll come out behind the tower and can switch it off. End spoiler.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 316 of 776 (253 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Betreff: Re: Betreff: Re: Betreff: Re: Demon's Souls Q & A

What I really don't understand is all the fuss about the fact that you lose your souls if you die. I really don't see how that's as big of a deal as some reviews are making it out to be.

Other than that, it's just a game that you have to actually get good at in order to get anywhere. But so far I've found everything to be really easy once you figure out how to do it. You just have to be patient, focus and play smart. Nine out of ten times when I die, my mistake is perfectly obvious and has something to do with running in half-cocked and without thinking. Nothing wrong with that. I guess some people just don't like intelligent games, ahem.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 317 of 776 (252 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Re: Betreff: Re: Betreff: Re: Betreff: Re: Demon's Souls Q & A

spacehamsterZH wrote:

What I really don't understand is all the fuss about the fact that you lose your souls if you die. I really don't see how that's as big of a deal as some reviews are making it out to be.

It's not a big deal - you never lose anything thing in this game other than your time.

As far as I can recall, I've not heard anyone who's played this game say they don't like it...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 318 of 776 (248 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Betreff: Re: Betreff: Re: Betreff: Re: Betreff: Re: Demon's Souls Q & A

InfiniteStates hat geschrieben: 

As far as I can recall, I've not heard anyone who's played this game say they don't like it...

I've found one online review somewhere that was negative, but the complaints were ridiculous. Among other things, the guy said there's too much trial and error, which is total horse-doodoo of course, and sure enough the only evidence of trial and error he actually produced was that the game doesn't tell you which weapon works best in which situation, you have to figure it out for yourself. I laughed. And even he had to admit there's a lot to like about it, he seemed more frustrated by the fact that the game made him work at being able to look at all the purdy environments.

I can see how it's not for everyone, though, it certainly forces you to practice a lot to get good with no reward other than getting good. Compare this to the latest Ratchet and Clank where you unlock a new upgrade or a gadget every five minutes just for running around and shooting a lot. But for me, it's made me remember the olden days when you had to actually be good at a game to beat it, you couldn't just stumble blindly to the next checkpoint and hope you'd get lucky on the 500th attempt. And that sure doesn't work in Demon's Souls either.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 319 of 776 (232 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: Betreff: Re: Betreff: Re: Betreff: Re: Betreff: Re: Demon's Souls Q & A

sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know of a good location to get shards/chunks of spiderstone? i have had a few spiderstone drops in stage 2-2 from the miners, but not many. im looking to upgrade my bow to a sticky compound long bow
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 320 of 776 (222 Views)
0 Kudos