Reply
Want to join in?

Sign in to continue

I have a PSN account

Welcome back!

I'm new!

it only takes a minute or two

  • 29

    New messages in the last hour

  • Get a response within minutes

  • 92%

    92% percent of messages responded to

09 Jun 2011
By LordRoss

LordRoss

  • Community Coordinator
  • Offline
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Dust 514

232 Replies 1,660 Views Created 09-06-2011

I've had a few people ask me what Dust514 game is all about.  So I thought the best way is to simply show a video trailer of the new title.

 

 

Dust514 is a brand new PS3 exclusive title developed by CCP and should be released around Spring 2012.

 

The game will be compatible with the PlayStation Move and have it's own space in PlayStation Home.

 

Dust514 and the PC game EVE Online will share one universe.  This will allow Dust514 gamers to connect directly to a PC MMO.  The game will also be extended to the new PlayStation Vita.

 

So what are your thoughts on the game so far? Personally I am looking forward to seeing just how well the PC and PS3 gamers play together.  I think it's a great idea and certainly seems interesting.

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
02
/16

Grideris

  • Offline
45%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Grideris
Accepted Solution

I might just make a small addition to that for you.

 

What would be the "pay for" content then?
At the moment we only know of add-ons to the game that bring customization such as skins for characters, tanks and dropships. Pay-for content will not impact your performances in the game and if you play the game for free other players who pay for extras will not have an advantage over you!


 

This isn't quite correct. There will be actual gameplay items that you can buy using Aurum. However, they will be side grades to any equipment available thought other means.

 

A good example is with this is the "Guristas" Forge Gun which I saw in the Fanfest build of DUST 514.

First a bit of background on the Forge Gun: It's a large Anti-tank Railgun that has to charge before it fires. Now the Guristas version is more or less identical to the standard Forge Gun, but it charges quicker. However, unlike the standard Forge Gun, it can not hold a charged up shot, meaning that once it's charged, it shoots. This means you can't have a shot charged and read to fire instantly as you move around. This lends itself to a slightly different play style.

 

Also, I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Grideris and I know things about DUST 514. You may have seen some of my work at sites like www.dust514.org and www.dust514base.com. I also got to meet some of the PS Community guys at Fanfest.

 

Anyway, so I guess this is a good moment to say if you have questions, now is the time to ask them. I'll see if I can check back in every few days in this thread. Otherwise you can catch me on twitter, IRC or on the DUST514.org forums.

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

Administrator, www.dust514.org
Writer, www.dust514base.com
Co-Host, CAST 514
"Mr Extrapolation" - CCP Praetorian
Twitter: @Grideris
Beta Tester
11
/16

TalllPaul

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
97%
11 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
TalllPaul
Accepted Solution
Am I the only one that wants that Rokk In van?
0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

02
/16

LAILIEL

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LAILIEL
Accepted Solution

Hi.
I wanted to discuss a bit about one thing that, in my opinion, is very important: the possibility to play as a female character/mercenary.
Recently I read that CCP has still no idea of when they will be able to add female characters/mercenaries in Dust 514 (the good thing is that we know they want to) but I think it would be better if female characters were be available since day one.
Dust 514 is a FPS and we all know how male-centric FPS can be (aesthetically at least) but more specifically it's a MMO-FPS and in MMOs immersion, freedom, are fundamental; choosing you character's sex is a key element to achieve immersion and freedom, and Dust 514 should definitely not miss the opportunity to deliver on that.
I understand that it's not an easy thing to achieve, female characters' models alone would require some time to be made, but I believe there's still time to make this happen.
What's your opinion guys/gals?

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

[ Edited ]
05
/16

obliviondoll

  • Offline
83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
obliviondoll
Accepted Solution

I have a couple of comments... firstly:

 

LAILIEL wrote:

Hi.
I wanted to discuss a bit about one thing that, in my opinion, is very important: the possibility to play as a female character/mercenary.
Recently I read that CCP has still no idea of when they will be able to add female characters/mercenaries in Dust 514 (the good thing is that we know they want to) but I think it would be better if female characters were be available since day one.
Dust 514 is a FPS and we all know how male-centric FPS can be (aesthetically at least) but more specifically it's a MMO-FPS and in MMOs immersion, freedom, are fundamental; choosing you character's sex is a key element to achieve immersion and freedom, and Dust 514 should definitely not miss the opportunity to deliver on that.
I understand that it's not an easy thing to achieve, female characters' models alone would require some time to be made, but I believe there's still time to make this happen.
What's your opinion guys/gals?



As a male gamer who will never play as a female in DUST 514 anyway, this is surprisingly important to me.

 

Why? Two major reasons.

 

1. My girlfriend, several of my best friends, and almost half the Assassin's Creed clan I'm co-leader of are girl gamers, and they rarely play games with any degree of customisation unless gender is on the list.

2. Immersion is important, and having an all-male world is going to break that feeling. It certainly did with Brink, and a few other heavily-customisable games which don't allow players a gender choice. It becomes more of an issue when you're online, too, because being forced into playing either gender exclusively is a bad design choice. I even have issues with it in Syndicate, where there's no customisation, because there are 4 characters to choose from in 4-player co-op. If the first two players in the game choose the girls, anyone else who joins their game is forced into a male role. Even having an extra 2 characters would have made a HUGE difference to me in terms of freedom.

 

I CAN appreciate the logistical concerns for this title, but I think it's worth the effort of TRYING to get this in on day one. I'll still play the game, but I won't be buying things personally (or pushing my friends as hard as I otherwise would) until there's a timeframe on this at the very least.

 

My other comment is a problem with this pic taken at the event (from an earlier post):

 

 

How are "Rouge Drones" meant to sound like a good idea?

 

Do they mean rouge as in the shade of red? So they know the colour of AI units, and that's all they're telling us? Or do they mean the drones are wearing an old-fashioned type of lipstick? Because neither of those options sounds like a good idea. Red isn't going to be a good camouflage choice anywhere outside Mars, no matter whether it's the result of a paintjob or makeup...

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

02
/16

LAILIEL

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LAILIEL
Accepted Solution

Here's some info about the Rogue Drones: http://www.dust514.org/home/item/the-horde-is-coming

 

Now, expanding on my previous post, I wanted to say that I consider Dust 514 to be the future of FPS and I WANT female players to be part of it, I WANT female players to finally feel comfortable in FPS, and in video games in general, as much as males do.

Dust 514 has the chance to set the bar even higher, to do something that goes beyond gamepaly, and create on PS3, just as in EVE, a place where female players are free from restrictions and are welcome.

 

 

 

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

[ Edited ]
05
/16

obliviondoll

  • Offline
83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
obliviondoll
Accepted Solution

LAILIEL wrote:

Here's some info about the Rogue Drones: http://www.dust514.org/home/item/the-horde-is-coming



But... the whiteboard had nothing about "Rogue Drones" on it. THOSE sound awesome, but I'm worried about "Rouge Drones" being in the game as well. I guess we just have to hope that was a typo?

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

02
/16

LAILIEL

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LAILIEL
Accepted Solution
@obliviondoll
It's probably just a mistake: they meant Rogue, but wrote Rouge.


0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

02
/16

Grideris

  • Offline
45%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Grideris
Accepted Solution

That's right. They ment Rogue, not rouge.

 

And on the female characters front, this IRC Q&A with the CCP might be of interest to you.

 

If you don't want to go clicking, this is the part of interest you you:

 

<CCP_CmdrWang>From: mib_5fa351: Will there be female chars? If so would female chars offer smaller target to shoot at because of their smaller body build?

<CCP_Praetorian>Yes we will but we take great care of making them perfect. They are women, after all. :) We are not sure exactly when we are able to roll them out.

<CCP_Praetorian>But now, there not be a _combat_ advantage to being a female character.

 

So yes, you're correct. They're coming, but they're not here yet. However there's actually lore precident for having all the "combat" clones being male. However, that doesn't mean that you can't have female clones for when you're not fighting, and it doesn't completely remove the possibility of having female "combat" clones.

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

Administrator, www.dust514.org
Writer, www.dust514base.com
Co-Host, CAST 514
"Mr Extrapolation" - CCP Praetorian
Twitter: @Grideris
02
/16

Fuser

  • Offline
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Fuser
Accepted Solution

Just wanted to share my opinion on the beta.

 

I'll keep it brief.

 

Dissappointing.

 

almost an insult.

 

This isnt an fps.

Re: Dust 514

05
/16

obliviondoll

  • Offline
83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
obliviondoll
Accepted Solution

Fuser wrote:

Just wanted to share my opinion on the beta.

 

I'll keep it brief.

 

Dissappointing.

 

almost an insult.

 

This isnt an fps.


 

I'd prefer an explanation of how a game played from a first-person perspective and involving guns and shooting can be described with the phrase "This isn't an fps" - not saying you're wrong, just that you're being a little TOO vague...

 

Is it more RPG than FPS? Or does it feel like some other genre being played in first-person? Are you saying that because it doesn't work? Does it have gameplay issues? Or too much emphasis on the MMO aspects and not enough on making combat fair and balanced?

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

Beta Tester
10
/16

InfiniteStates

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

obliviondoll wrote:

Fuser wrote:

Just wanted to share my opinion on the beta.

 

I'll keep it brief.

 

Dissappointing.

 

almost an insult.

 

This isnt an fps.


 

I'd prefer an explanation of how a game played from a first-person perspective and involving guns and shooting can be described with the phrase "This isn't an fps" - not saying you're wrong, just that you're being a little TOO vague...



Probably because they shouldn't be talking about it at all... Hell, I feel naughty just giving their post kudos.:smileysurprised:

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

02
/16

Grideris

  • Offline
45%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Grideris
Accepted Solution

InfiniteStates wrote:

obliviondoll wrote:

Fuser wrote:

Just wanted to share my opinion on the beta.

 

I'll keep it brief.

 

Dissappointing.

 

almost an insult.

 

This isnt an fps.


 

I'd prefer an explanation of how a game played from a first-person perspective and involving guns and shooting can be described with the phrase "This isn't an fps" - not saying you're wrong, just that you're being a little TOO vague...



Probably because they shouldn't be talking about it at all... Hell, I feel naughty just giving their post kudos.:smileysurprised:


This is actually correct. Don't say anything about the gameplay as you're still bound by the NDA. Also, it's a beta, not a demo. What did you expect?

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

Administrator, www.dust514.org
Writer, www.dust514base.com
Co-Host, CAST 514
"Mr Extrapolation" - CCP Praetorian
Twitter: @Grideris
Beta Tester
10
/16

InfiniteStates

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Grideris wrote:


Also, it's a beta, not a demo. What did you expect?



In my opinion, in game development in general, the core gameplay feel is largely detached from graphics, sound and network connectivity and should be one of the first things to take shape. A game can play well before art or audio even goes in first-pass. Game play is the cake and everything else is just icing, as any ex-8-bit game developer can testify to ;)

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

02
/16

Fuser

  • Offline
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Fuser
Accepted Solution

I know it isnt a demo.... Ive tested before.

 

Maintain your optimism folks.... and you'll be disappointed.

 

I was trying to be vague as not to break NDA, but last night i had a moment, and deleted the ***** out of DUST.  So now i couldnt care less.

 

The very Core game mechanics are bad, real bad... Its all side strafing, shield regen and halo jumping.  

The maps are large and baron, the beta is supposed to be stress testing the server... Dont see how that is possible with so few players playing.

It feels more like accountants in space... They say it will take 7 years to skill up.  3.5 years to find the skill you want, then 3.5 years to navigate back out of the menus!  Its all menus and spreadsheets, then when your bored you can pop in to a game mode that represents the retarded love child of halo and killzone.

 

Honestly, We all know how games over hype themselves... like stating that this is AAA

 

It isnt.

 

So please, dont believe the hype.... heck there is a reason its going F2P!

 

It feels like its being deveolped for EVE players, and SONY are just cashing in by allowing them to use the PS3... Think about it, all these EVE players rush out to buy a station...

 

The console gamers on the beta feel hard done by, i think we were expecting something different all together, unless your excited by the prospect of spending your evenings working mathematical

equations - then this game is right up your street.

 

Bottom line for me.  Poor mans DOOM vs Accountants in space.

 

Sound fun?

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

Beta Tester
10
/16

InfiniteStates

  • Beta Tester
  • Offline
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

^ That's over the top and not my experience with it at all. I have some concerns, but you have described none of them. But then I'm not coming at it from a CoD-ADD angle...

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

02
/16

LAILIEL

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LAILIEL
Accepted Solution
Grideris wrote:

That's right. They ment Rogue, not rouge.

 

And on the female characters front, this IRC Q&A with the CCP might be of interest to you.

 

If you don't want to go clicking, this is the part of interest you you:

 

<CCP_CmdrWang>From: mib_5fa351: Will there be female chars? If so would female chars offer smaller target to shoot at because of their smaller body build?

<CCP_Praetorian>Yes we will but we take great care of making them perfect. They are women, after all. :) We are not sure exactly when we are able to roll them out.

<CCP_Praetorian>But now, there not be a _combat_ advantage to being a female character.

 

So yes, you're correct. They're coming, but they're not here yet. However there's actually lore precident for having all the "combat" clones being male. However, that doesn't mean that you can't have female clones for when you're not fighting, and it doesn't completely remove the possibility of having female "combat" clones.

 

 

I was referring exactly to that: I always read your blog Grideris ;)
Anyway even if lore "justifies" the absence of female mercenaries/clones I still think it would be a pity not to have a gender selections since day one.

EVE Online has gender selection and that is one of the reasons why female player are interested in it and why they feel comfortable playing it: definitely Dust 524 should offer the same freedom.

Not to mention that a FPS that is finally female friendly under every aspect would have a higher chance of success, commercially speaking.

 

But what's your opinion on female mercenaries Grideris: should CCP bring them since day one? 

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

[ Edited ]
02
/16

Grideris

  • Offline
45%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Grideris
Accepted Solution

While it would be nice, I would prefer to have CCP release the game a bit quicker. However if they do that, they absolutely need to provide the option to players of changing over existing characters when the option becomes available at no cost. If they can't do that, then maybe they should hold it back a little longer.

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

Administrator, www.dust514.org
Writer, www.dust514base.com
Co-Host, CAST 514
"Mr Extrapolation" - CCP Praetorian
Twitter: @Grideris
02
/16

LAILIEL

  • Offline
80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
LAILIEL
Accepted Solution

Grideris wrote:

While it would be nice, I would prefer to have CCP release the game a bit quicker. However if they do that, they absolutely need to provide the option to players of changing over existing characters when the option becomes available at no cost. If they can't do that, then maybe they should hold it back a little longer.


 

It is clear from the Q&A mentioned before that CCP wants female mercenaries to be available in Dust 514, (or at least it's something we should push for) but I would be willing to wait  longer for the release if that would mean creating a better experience for female players since day one.

 

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

[ Edited ]
05
/16

obliviondoll

  • Offline
83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
obliviondoll
Accepted Solution

So... you're telling us...

 

It has fast-paced gameplay reminiscent of some of the most popular shooters in the current console generation, and also includes an incredibly involved customisation system that you can use to develop your character exactly the way you want?

 

I'd pay money for that.

 

Yes, I'm serious. That actually got me MORE interested in the game than I was already.

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

02
/16

Grideris

  • Offline
45%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Grideris
Accepted Solution
He also forgot to mention the passive/active training system that will take about 7 years to complete at this stage. And the (eventual) persistent territory conquests. Oh, and the cross platform/cross game features where you can be shot at and shoot back at spaceships in EVE Online.

Did I miss anything?
0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

Administrator, www.dust514.org
Writer, www.dust514base.com
Co-Host, CAST 514
"Mr Extrapolation" - CCP Praetorian
Twitter: @Grideris
05
/16

obliviondoll

  • Offline
83%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
obliviondoll
Accepted Solution

Grideris wrote:
He also forgot to mention the passive/active training system that will take about 7 years to complete at this stage. And the (eventual) persistent territory conquests. Oh, and the cross platform/cross game features where you can be shot at and shoot back at spaceships in EVE Online.

Did I miss anything?

 

Other than the "7 years" part, which he DID touch upon (but misinterpreted... badly), I already knew about those.

 

I think between you, we have a new ad for the game.

 

COD fan speaks: blah blah boring Halo blah accountant blah

EVE fan speaks: blah blah awesome spaceships blah persistent blah

 

Insert some quotes from legit journalists (send me a beta key? I'm a reviewer) and stick them over a pretty screenshot, and you're SET.

0 Kudos

Re: Dust 514

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel