22%
02 Rank
Progress

From Disk To USB Help!!!

4 Replies 514 Views Created 16-01-2014
16 Jan 2014
By GunMan9125

Hi,

I was looking around the internet for a quick answer and there were some fluctuating answers all of which never really answered the problem of a situation like mine. Apologies if this goes on like a book but it's my first post.

I have a PS3 slim, 120GB version and it has a problem reading the disks. The PS3 has been in the same room since purchase and has always lay flat on a shelf. I purchased Grand Theft Auto 5 and Gran Turismo 6 both on release and have accumulated many hours playing these games. Now my PS3 won't read the disks. For the past few weeks I had to hold the console at a certain angle to read the disk and now it won't read them at all. I'm so ***** off because this is my second PS3 (First got YLOD).

I was wondering if there is anyway to take the data off my disks and put them onto a USB drive and play them from that or either install the game data on the internal HD since my blu ray drive doesn't work.

And before I'm hit with all the "you just want to play torrented games, you haven't bought them"

If I can afford 2 PS3's I think I can afford 2 games!

Thanks in advance,

Lee

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

No, I'm afraid not. Your only option to bypass the BR drive is to buy download only games from the store...

That sucks. My friend at work literally only uses his PS3 for GTA and he had to buy a new one due to BR drive issues for GTA V. Seems there is a real fluctuation in manufacturing quality.

Either that, or Sony imposes a use-it-or-lose-it policy to their hardware :)

0 Kudos

Re: From Disk To USB Help!!!

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

GunMan9125

22%
02 Rank
Progress
GunMan9125
Accepted Solution

Thanks very much for the quick responce. They could've at least made the PS4 backwards compatible so that when the PS3 does eventually break because of components wearing out you can just upgrade and keep happy but maybe that's to generous and smart minded for Sony :/

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

No worries :)

More likely its just not technically feasibly given how vastly different the architectures of the machines are.

And when money is a bit tighter, plus experience of last gen trying to support backwards compatibility I can see it from Sony's point of view. Why bother wasting all that time, effort and money on a feature that will only be used for the first year, at best, of a consoles life?

Especially when you can then make more money by charging people for the same game twice?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solution

View Original

Problem Solved

View Original Post
/16

ronidee

23%
02 Rank
Progress
ronidee
Accepted Solution

Pardon my stupidity, my excuse is I'm 75 and had a series of strokes, so please be patient ' cause I Lurve my PS3 and especialy my driving games. Anyway, I get that if you want to run the game from a usb stick or external ssd hd, then my GT6 disc goes out the window and I have to buy a downloadable version, if I go this route is it easy, and I mean idiot proof 'cause my tech knowledges stops after I switch the 2 week old super slim consul on, the last one stopped reading discs and the reason I want to do this is my new consul seems to be making some wierd and wonderfull noises that I haven't heard before. This is the only occupational therapy that's great for my dexterity and mental agility, so any and all advice will be soooo welcome. Thanks Guys & Girls for you time.  Ron  :-)

0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel