Serum_Lake

• Beta Tester
90%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Coming 1st February 2013 (UPDATED)

[ Edited ]
511 Replies 3,659 Views edited 23-01-2013

40932img0010 copy.jpg

Hi everybody,

As the RPG release calendar is looking a bit barren at the moment I thought I would take the opportunity to bring this PS3 exclusive upcoming RPG to your attention.

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is a Japanese RPG from Level-5 (the makers of White Knight Chronicles and The Dark Cloud series) that has been made in collaboration with the phenomenal animation studio Studio Ghibli, whose films include Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

We were treated to a live demo from the game's publisher this week and I have to say that it looks absolutely phenomenal. Anyone that enjoys Studio Ghibli's films should definitely check this out!

More details, including amazing screen shots, can be found below:

• An RPG born from the talent of two legendary studios - Ni no Kuni combines the renowned LEVEL-5 video game studio with the animation of the world class team at Studio Ghibli, and the music of the equally legendary Joe Hisaishi, composer on many Ghibli movies. The result is a RPG which expertly fuses these formidable talents.

• A visually stunning game - During their travels with Oliver, players will be able to immerse themselves in a series of incredible environments, landscapes and cities, as if they were entering an animated movie universe inside a video game.

• All the ingredients of a RPG and much more - LEVEL-5's mastery of the genre results in a game that offers the best of a RPG and more: a free roaming map, varied transportation systems, a tactical yet easy to handle combat system and a myriad of secondary quests, mini-games and bonuses.

• A captivating story with anime-like cut-scenes - The player enters the magical universe of Ni no Kuni and begins the journey with Oliver, meeting all kinds of people on the way. Yoshiyuki Momose from Studio Ghibli supervised the storyboards for the in-game cut-scenes and provided stage directions for the motion capture sequences, bringing all his expertise from the animation world to bear on the game's story.

40924img0001 copy.jpg40927img0010 copy.jpg40933img0019 copy.jpg9029Old Smoky copy.jpg9030Guardian of the Woods copy.jpg

I dunno about you guys, but I cannot wait for this :D

LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
MVP
/16

QuietlyWrong

• MVP
95%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

Prices may yet change in the next seventeen days, but there's a good pre-order deal on at Zavvi at the moment - get an extra 10% off the pre-order price by using the voucher code 'HG2013'

With the voucher code, the standard edition of NNK comes to just £31.46 and I haven't - yet - seen it anywhere near as cheap as that anywhere else...

The only down side, as RiseOfTheVulture pointed out to me elsewhere, is that with Zavvi, you may have to wait a few days for delivery. I suppose it depends how important the pennies are to you at the moment. :|

0 Kudos

Re: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Coming 25th January 2013

-------
Beta Tester
/16

SurrealNightmare

• Beta Tester
97%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
SurrealNightmare
Accepted Solution
They mean everything, damn it!!

*squeezes pennies in frustration*

Beta Tester
/16

Serum_Lake

• Beta Tester
90%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Serum_Lake
Accepted Solution

Bit of a naff update from Namco:

Due to a logistics error the release of Ni No Kuni has been delayed until 1st February.

On the plus side Level 5 are offering a free downloadable familar in an effort to soften the blow.

0 Kudos

/16

Snozzlenut

95%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Snozzlenut
Accepted Solution

Serum_Lake wrote:

Due to a logistics error the release of Ni No Kuni has been delayed until 1st February.

On the plus side Level 5 are offering a free downloadable familar in an effort to soften the blow.

Photobucket

They've ruined my birthday! Ruined!

MVP
/16

chrisboers

• MVP
98%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
chrisboers
Accepted Solution

That makes it JUST in time to make it PS Plus Game of the Month for February! Rejoice!

*happydance*

No?

Helpdesk: NL 020 709 5025 BE 02 588 42 40 ma t/m vr 9-20 za 10-16.00.
MVP
/16

QuietlyWrong

• MVP
95%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

Serum_Lake wrote:

NNNNNOOOOOOOO!

Out with the torches and pitchforks everyone! Time to burn down their offices! :Argh:

:P

Nah, I jest. What's one week in the overall scheme of things? These things happen. As long as everyone's delayed equally, it's hard to be that bothered. Those of us for whom it isn't our birthday on 25th Jan, anyway. Nice of them to forewarn us. :)

And you've got to admit, whatever your feelings on micro-payment DLC [grumble grumble], it does at least open up the way for generous little presents from publishers that we never could have got in the old days. Nice one!

... Though there's a very cynical part of me that says that I bet NB already planned to have at least one free familiar on the store to begin with as an incentive to get people used to the idea of (and, if you'll forgive the avoidable pun, familiar with) downloading extra familiars from the store - like free 'starter packs' for other games... And I find myself hoping that someone hasn't just put a positive spin on something they were already going to do...

Though if that is the case, my hat's off to you, mystery evil person, well played. :Evil:

0 Kudos

Re: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Coming 1st February 2013

[ Edited ]
-------
/16

MistressFortune

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MistressFortune
Accepted Solution

Okay, I'm pretty new to this game. I mean I've heard about it, but only started paying attention to it recently. Is it some kind of monster raising game or something? I heard talk of familiars and evolution.

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

QuietlyWrong

• MVP
95%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

There's a monster raising component to it, certainly, and you can choose how your 'familiars' evolve into stronger forms.

Beyond that, I don't know too much about the relative balance of monster-raising to exploration / story / the evolution of your own party (Oliver and co can also contribute to fights) because I'm trying not to spoil myself for when the postman comes and delivers my copy... ;)  Certainly it wasn't possible to get more than a brief flavour of the overarching mechanics from the demos, but a lot of depth was implied.

0 Kudos

-------
/16

MistressFortune

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MistressFortune
Accepted Solution

Is there a demo on PSN? In that case I might look for it at the weekend.

I'm playing Dragon's Dogma (again) at the moment but just kind of dragging it out until P4G arrives. I need a new PS3 game to keep me amused ^_^

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

QuietlyWrong

• MVP
95%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

Yes there is (queue it up), though it's a very large download to play two very time-limited sections.

How useful it is to you will depend on how willing you are to play through multiple times and see how far you can get into the world before it times out...

0 Kudos

-------
Award Winner
/16

THE_FORCE

• Award Winner
99%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
THE_FORCE
Accepted Solution

I know what I'll be doing Friday. 

0 Kudos

/16

MistressFortune

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MistressFortune
Accepted Solution

Well as long as it lets me have a crack at the battle system then I should be okay :)

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos

MVP
/16

QuietlyWrong

• MVP
95%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
QuietlyWrong
Accepted Solution

MistressFortune wrote:

Well as long as it lets me have a crack at the battle system then I should be okay :)

Oh, the demo will throw plenty of battle at you - but bear in mind it doesn't give you the full lead-you-by-the-hand into the battle system that the full game will* nor will you get much opportunity to tinker with your familiar load-out which will allow you to tailor your team to your preferred tactics when you get to grips with the real thing. I think some people have found the demo intimidatingly tough to get into.

* replace 'will' with 'does' if you're American, Japanese or Wretched.

0 Kudos

-------
/16

MistressFortune

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MistressFortune
Accepted Solution

QuietlyWrong wrote:

MistressFortune wrote:

Oh, the demo will throw plenty of battle at you - but bear in mind it doesn't give you the full lead-you-by-the-hand into the battle system that the full game will* nor will you get much opportunity to tinker with your familiar load-out which will allow you to tailor your team to your preferred tactics when you get to grips with the real thing. I think some people have found the demo intimidatingly tough to get into.

* replace 'will' with 'does' if you're American, Japanese or Wretched.

The main things I look for in a game are gameplay and story. If I can get to grips with the demo's version of battle, then I'll be half sold :)

0 Kudos

/16

xDrStrangeGlove

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xDrStrangeGlove
Accepted Solution

loving this game

0 Kudos

/16

Izorpo

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Izorpo
Accepted Solution

I've had this pre-ordered for quite awhile and was so disappointed when it was pushed back until 2013. Chances are even if it wasn't Level 5 and Studio Ghibli I would be buying it. I usually buy any JRPG that comes on the PS3

now if only we could get Tales of Vesperia western release and Magna Carta 2 on ps3 I'd be happy until I notice some other jrpg we are lacking

0 Kudos

/16

s4tns-dwarf

76%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
s4tns-dwarf
Accepted Solution

Ive got the wizard edition pre-ordered to, looks pretty cool! its also my birthday around then so it will be happy birthday me! Looking forward to it!

0 Kudos

/16
92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RiseOfTheVulture
Accepted Solution
I'll definitely be getting this but whether I get the wizards edition or just the standard game depends on how much I get paid on the 11th lol
0 Kudos

'I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? 'No!' says the man in Washington, 'It belongs to the poor.' 'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.' 'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Rapture!
/16
92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RiseOfTheVulture
Accepted Solution

0 Kudos

'I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? 'No!' says the man in Washington, 'It belongs to the poor.' 'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.' 'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Rapture!
/16
92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RiseOfTheVulture
Accepted Solution
Although I expect by that time the wizards edition will be sold out anyway so the decision might be made for me
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

MissSouthampton

• Beta Tester
95%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MissSouthampton
Accepted Solution
I pre-ordered from GAME and I cannot wait. The demo was 10 mins of short awesomeness. With the pre-order you get the Wizards book but it is in Japanese unlike the special edition for £60 odd.

I can handle a week :)
0 Kudos

Re: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Coming 1st February 2013 (UPDATED)

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel