14 Mar 2011
By stoooge
Playstation Staff
Accepted Solution

Operation Flashpoint: Red River

45 Replies 709 Views Created 14-03-2011

OK, so i was going to start this thread months and months ago when i first read a breif preview about it.

But i knew there wouldnt be too many fans about this game, as it is definately for a niche group of gamers.

Now that its really close to being released (April 21) - im getting very excited.

I bought Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising when it came out, and loved it.

It really hit the nail on the head for me in what i want in a military shooter (whether its FPS, or 3rd person).

I found it was a good mix of Ghost Recon (the original), and Full Spectrum Warrior (the original, and Ten Hammers) - all of which i loved.

Though OP:smileyvery-happy:R was not a perfect game (it was extremely buggy, laggy, not the most detailed graphics, felt a bit sluggish, teammate AI was pretty terrible, opposition AI average - etc, etc) - i loved the idea of the game, the way it played, the realisticness of it, and the fact it was based for co-op gaming.

I found it was a good change of pace for a FPS when your sick of the typical multiplayer run'n'gun where its all about your kd ratio, levelling up, unlocking, perks and other non-realistic nonsense.

I liked the fact that if you tried to play it as if it were COD - you wouldnt last long. You really had to watch every step, think ahead, use your team, take cover, use tactics, and try to think like a soldier might out on the field.

(none of which you have to do in COD :smileytongue:)

---

Sorry about the novel.

But i guess im just trying to get the game out there, see whos interested, try get some gamers together who might want to play online or coop, and just general chat about the game.

I havent really been on the PS3 since xmas (apart from a bit of KZ3, and cricket 2011 :smileytongue:)

So yeah.

opinions? :smileyhappy:

http://au.gamespot.com/ps3/action/operationflashpointredriver/news.html?sid=6299747&mode=previews

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 46 (709 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Operation Flashpoint: Red River

as i expected.

A lot of love for this upcoming title :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 46 (660 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Well i know the dev team gave up supporting the old title after the 2nd or so patch....so doesnt say much to how much effort they may or may not put into this new title.

I realy didnt think they were going to make a sequel at all, cas shortly after they caned support for dragon rising the community manager posted on the forums asking for game ideas cas they are/were going in a dif direction.

I believe they have "improved" on the ego engine (grid, dragon rising) this time and yes the graphics may be good. It does look similar in grahpics to ARMA on the PC.

I do enjoy the whole tactical aproach to playing with the dragon rising series but seriously it is unplayable with stupid doped up ai. If they can improve the ai and have dedicated servers for multi then it might be a win for me.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 46 (639 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I love realstic shooters but I have not played any of the games before this. I am going to pick it up and give it a go and hopefully it will be good. But I am 98% sure that BF3 will be my game of the year this year.

Article writer and reviewer for - www.consoledomination.com
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 46 (619 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

cant wait for BF3 !! :smileyhappy:

will be awesome. even if its just an updated BFBC2.

But that will be later on in the year - so for me, i think OF:RR will be my sorta, realistic mil-shooter until BF3.

(you cant really call it a MilSim i dont think, its not quite ARMA or Full Spectrum Warrior - which i wish they would bring out a new version for PS3)

Anyway - though as i said it is very glitchy and buggy - i rekon its a good mix of a milsim combined with battlefied.

Open fields, concentrating on keeping it realistic, tactical, and very team-based.

I could make a big list of things they should add/change to improve red river - but even if its only a little bit better than Dragon Rising, im gonna get it, and either try play some LAN, or hopefully online with other keen aussies.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 46 (605 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

the realism with health would make ppl turn away as ur lifespan would be like 20sec on the field.....think about it.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 46 (562 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

whatchya talking bout skywarp? i dont get ya.

The health in flashpoint is already quite realistic IMO. One decent hit and your down, one or two in the arm and you lose accuracy, a shot in the leg and you will struggle to move and wont be able to sprint. Your medic can heal the wounds, revive you, and stop the bleeding - but no magic 'medipacks' or take cover for a few seconds until the red screen goes away.

..unless your talking about if BF had a realistic health system more like flashpoint.

Then no that definately wouldnt work as its a different type of game.

But i suggested nothing like that

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 46 (545 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Well with the socom beta not being as good as I thought it would be I am now going to get this on the release day and perhaps get socom down the track. 

Article writer and reviewer for - www.consoledomination.com
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 46 (541 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

yeah problem with these 2 games is they are released at pretty much the same time.

So its a toughy as im into both.

But dont have the time or money for both really.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 46 (528 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

socom is AWSOME barny u must be on drugs lol. im just saying a fps too slow and real wont be very popular....see what happens...either way battlefield 3 will desimate any game ever made and will make millions.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 46 (516 Views)
0 Kudos