22 May 2012

Playstation Staff

100mb Virgin Media Package, only 0.5 - 12mb on PS3!

[ Edited ]
41 Replies 1,671 Views edited 22-05-2012

Hi,

I've just bought a PS3 160Gb Slim two weeks ago and I've been having some trouble with the internet connection. I really need it to wireless as it's located in my Lounge at the back of the house. My Virgin Superhub is next to my PC in the office near the front of the house.

However, the wireless has been complete pants. I'm lucky to get 2mb dowload most of the time, even checking on the PS3 web browser. I use Netflix and I'm not getting through a 40 minute show without it stopping 4-6 times to load. Great if you need lots of toilet breaks! :smileyfrustrated:

I decided to go the wired route with my PS3, reluctantly, but it will involve running an external cable around the house then into the living room where the PS3 is set up. About 30 metres in total!

However, last night, I moved the PS3 into the office to test it out before I go spending money on all that cable! Using my PC's ethernet cable, my PS3 only acheived 12Mb connection when connected to the Superhub. I'm not expecting it to get 100Mb but this surely isn't the most I can expect is it?

My wireless is very inconsistant with the PS3, even when it's right next to the Superhub. It ranges from 0.5Mb to 12Mb (if I'm having a lucky moment!). It's constantly changing.

Does anyone think it could be a PS3 problem? It's only 2 weeks old so I can still return it if necessary. It just seems so odd that if I connect any laptop / PC by ethernet, I get 100+Mb and all my other wireless devices (Ipad 2, Macbook and a Desktop PC) get 40Mb approx give or take. I'd be more than happy to acheive 40Mb on the PS3, even with a cable.

Am I doing something wrong? Do you think I need to return the PS3? Or does the Superhub not 'play nice' with the PS3?

I'm at a compete loss - any help really appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 42 (1,671 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: 100mb Virgin Media Package, only 0.5 - 12mb on PS3!

Why would you need more than 12mb anyway on the PS3?

Also rather than run cables everywhere why not get some home plugs? I use them upstairs for my kids PS3 and works a treat
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 42 (1,658 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Sorry, I'm very new to the whole PS3 thing.

So is 12 Mb OK? I installed Little Big Planet 2 on Saturday - it had 13 updates to install and it took 3 hours (this was on the wireless connection, about 700Mb of data in total). Is this good for PS3 / PSN? It just seemed to take forever considering my 100Mb connection.

Ironically, I've just send back some D-link Homeplugs to Amazon as I though they were getting a poor connection at the same rate, 12Mb. The rate was fluctuating though, sometimes down to 6Mb. 

Do you get fluctuations in speed with your Homeplugs? If you think the above speeds are normal then I'll just re-order some homeplugs again and see how I get on.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 42 (1,642 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Starnett,

I think powerline adaptors will be your answer! For more info check out the net for more info or the manufacturers website. You wont need to run that external ethernet cable. In a nutshell they use yur homes existing wiring as a network cable and offer speeds around the 200MB/s. More reliable and secure than a wireless network and realatively cheap. Hope this helps

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=asc_df_B004INVKP47983783?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecou...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 42 (1,589 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

starnett wrote:

Hi,

I've just bought a PS3 160Gb Slim two weeks ago and I've been having some trouble with the internet connection. I really need it to wireless as it's located in my Lounge at the back of the house. My Virgin Superhub is next to my PC in the office near the front of the house.

However, the wireless has been complete pants. I'm lucky to get 2mb dowload most of the time, even checking on the PS3 web browser. I use Netflix and I'm not getting through a 40 minute show without it stopping 4-6 times to load. Great if you need lots of toilet breaks! :smileyfrustrated:

I decided to go the wired route with my PS3, reluctantly, but it will involve running an external cable around the house then into the living room where the PS3 is set up. About 30 metres in total!

However, last night, I moved the PS3 into the office to test it out before I go spending money on all that cable! Using my PC's ethernet cable, my PS3 only acheived 12Mb connection when connected to the Superhub. I'm not expecting it to get 100Mb but this surely isn't the most I can expect is it?

My wireless is very inconsistant with the PS3, even when it's right next to the Superhub. It ranges from 0.5Mb to 12Mb (if I'm having a lucky moment!). It's constantly changing.

Does anyone think it could be a PS3 problem? It's only 2 weeks old so I can still return it if necessary. It just seems so odd that if I connect any laptop / PC by ethernet, I get 100+Mb and all my other wireless devices (Ipad 2, Macbook and a Desktop PC) get 40Mb approx give or take. I'd be more than happy to acheive 40Mb on the PS3, even with a cable.

Am I doing something wrong? Do you think I need to return the PS3? Or does the Superhub not 'play nice' with the PS3?

I'm at a compete loss - any help really appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

change your isp i would

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 42 (1,575 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Wouldnt neccessarily change your ISP.

I too am a VM customer with a 60Meg connection. Do a quick hard line speed check with a laptop to make sure you are getting a reasonable ping and the speeds you are paying for. you may need to ring VM to make sure there arent any problems that you may not be aware of such as power levels of the line.

I ve had Virgin media for many years now and have never had issues with the gaming side of it. been a feew minor issues but overall I enjoy low ping and excellent speeds. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 42 (1,568 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

@ starnet.

1stly, welcome to a great gaming xp.. secondly, am sorry you never (imo) got All helpful answers, i guess some ppl 'may' just be having a off day, or there with a landline isp..lol.. Anyway to try and answer your question, Yes, something is very wrong with your ps3.. i couldn't believe you waited 3 HOURS for 700mb to download.. now am not tech enough to suggest a fix or even the cause, but i know it's wrong. i have 20mb (virgin) and mostly get 17to18mbs, unless i have been greedy and find i am 'throtled', even then i get 2to4mbs... ok, i use wired All the time, but you say you tried this and never got much improvement.. also my wireless is more than you recieve, can't remember exactly but when i tried it i got more than 7mbs.. but from a 20mb service... now i will need to keep eye on this post as i am getting a superhub (tomorow) and my speed is 'meant' to go up to 30mb.. So if it is a problem with superhub (unlikely though.) i will post back here. But if you can't get better info to resolve this then i think that you should (if poss) check your ps3 on a friends network,ideally vice-versa, if a m8 has a ps3 to test your Network,, then maybe consider if it should be returned to store.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 42 (1,556 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

are you using the superhub?
its not ment to be the best at wireless, have you tried putting it in modem mode and using a different wireless router?

also

how are you getting the speeds? the internal speedtest on the ps3 isn't very good, i know my connection is running at the full 50Mb but the ps3 test says different pointing at the ps3 being part of the problem

PS3 Slim 120Gb Upgraded To 250Gb
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 42 (1,552 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

@ webrosc

Can you give more info on the superhub please.. ie where can i read about problems with it.. good idea about trying a normal modem but am sure you can't do that if you get above a certain speed, i was surprised to hear that i needed one (superhub) after negotiating a better deal with virgin.. got same service as now, plus extra 10mb speed (taking it to 30mb) And for 10 quid LESS per month.. amazing what some companies will offer if you say your thinking of leaving... anyway i would appreciate more info on this superhub stuff...thnx.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 42 (1,545 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

iirc the modems VM supply can only go upto the 60Mb mark, so a superhub is needed for the 100Mb connection.

when i say modem mode i mean its a setting within the superhub, it turns it from a router/modem to just a modem, you can't use a modem that isn't supplied by VM.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/56/ is very helpful for all VM related stuff, alot of the users of the forum are/were VM employees

The only issue with using the SH in modem mode is the router you connect will need to be capable of the speeds, no point having a 100Mb connection with a router only able to do 54Mb wireless :smileywink:

PS3 Slim 120Gb Upgraded To 250Gb
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 42 (1,540 Views)
0 Kudos