64%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

12 Gig Playstation 3... seriously?

20 Replies 1,145 Views Created 16-12-2012

A 12 gig PS3!!! seriously?? i mean come-on with the amount of updates and game updates the playstation 3 does that's pathetic, why would they even make such a console. I guess it's to trick people when they buy it, people that don't know any different. Least with the Xbox 360 the game updates are small not like the PS3. Sometimes the updates are gigs. Seriously Pathetic and i feel sorry for those that have bought it.

1 Kudo
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Award Winner
/16

Renze

• Award Winner
92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Renze
Accepted Solution
It is targeted at people who want a media device, not a games console. It's perfect as a Blu-ray/DVD/CD player.
0 Kudos

Re: 12 Gig Playstation 3... seriously?

Award Winner
/16

qwerty6455

• Award Winner
96%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
qwerty6455
Accepted Solution

Yeah. Or possibly just casual gamers that only plan on playing a couple games every once in a while. It's not for those hardcore gamers.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

And people for whom even 500GB if not enough. Why waste your money on a hard disk drive you're only going pull out and replace with a bigger one?

0 Kudos

regards
Rob
deader than the ANZ forum :( .
/16

smokeypsd

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
smokeypsd
Accepted Solution
Yeah RandAPle4 has it right. It's still expandable like any of the others. Thinking of getting one myself as I'm going to be putting in a 1 terrabyte in my current ps3 very soon so I might aswell put my current HDD into a cheap 12gb.
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

Axe99

• Award Winner
92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Axe99
Accepted Solution
Aye, OP needs to read the details and uynderstand the context - the 12GB PS3 is _the_ hardcore gamers device, where you don't waste money buying a smaller hard drive you just take out and replace with something more hefty (or just want a 500GB PS3 for cheaper than the retail model, as the mark-up to 500GB is often less than the cost of a 500GB drive) ;). It's also an exceptional casual gamers device, for peeps that only want a game or two.
1 Kudo

/16

Tony_Cabone

22%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Tony_Cabone
Accepted Solution

I bought one, yeah it works but it just seems so cheap & nasty to me. The blueray disc player makes a constant high pitched squeal while the laser sounds like a dentist's drill when playing games.

The blueray disc tray cover looks like it's make out of coreflute! Thin crappy plastic. I used to buy Sony for the exceptional build quality.... Wish I bought xbox now!

0 Kudos

/16

WARzerotwo

23%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
WARzerotwo
Accepted Solution

I bought one, tried to install GT5 and was several Gb short on memory after the mandatory downloads, so couldn't install the disk on harddrive. The game would stall at first car purchase, so could not be played. I cleared all memory 3 times, redownloaded several times, with no luck. 

I installed a 160Gb hard disk and the problem went away. I run it along side two other machines of older generation (slim 320Gb and fat 80 Gb) and they have faster load operations on screen. 

Very disappointed with the lost several days to get a machine working with 1 popular game.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

qwerty6455

• Award Winner
96%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
qwerty6455
Accepted Solution

Well, it was a 12 gig PS3, so what did you expect?

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

Axe99

• Award Winner
92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Axe99
Accepted Solution

WARzerotwo wrote:

I bought one, tried to install GT5 and was several Gb short on memory after the mandatory downloads, so couldn't install the disk on harddrive. The game would stall at first car purchase, so could not be played. I cleared all memory 3 times, redownloaded several times, with no luck. 

I installed a 160Gb hard disk and the problem went away. I run it along side two other machines of older generation (slim 320Gb and fat 80 Gb) and they have faster load operations on screen. 

Very disappointed with the lost several days to get a machine working with 1 popular game.

You got a bit unlucky here - it's the only PS3 game that, with patches, takes up more than the 12GB can handle.  It is a shame they didn't run with a hard drive that could handle it, given GT5's popularity.

0 Kudos

/16

smokeypsd

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
smokeypsd
Accepted Solution
Even with media completely off my ps3 I have hardly any space left on my 320GB. Looking forward to a new ps3/HDD when I get it all setup. Especially with plus content, psn purchases and game installs storage really doesn't go that far for just game related stuff for me anymore.
0 Kudos

/16

BladeZero96

36%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BladeZero96
Accepted Solution

I'm looking into buying one of these myself. I just have a question regarding the amount of space it can hold. Because it's so little space is it possible to get something like an external memory card or something that can expand the space?

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

As the previous posts in this thread say, you can install a bigger internal hard disk drive. 

0 Kudos

regards
Rob
Award Winner
/16

Renze

• Award Winner
92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Renze
Accepted Solution
But you will need to get a caddy, as it doesn't come with one.
0 Kudos

/16

BladeZero96

36%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
BladeZero96
Accepted Solution

How much would you roughly say these would cost in NZD?

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

Renze

• Award Winner
92%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Renze
Accepted Solution
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

kiwiatlarge

• Award Winner
93%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
kiwiatlarge
Accepted Solution

Did a price up of the official products... 12gig, caddy, 'official' drive... and it really doesn't work out that economical compared to buying a new 500GB.... If you shop around you can of course buy cheaper drives... but I'm not sure this is the best option for most buyers... The Warehouse do have them really cheap at the moment for Boxing Day sales however.. $225...

At the end of the day, it's Sony's answer to the 4GB arcade Xbox 360... though easier to upgrade... and probably a good option if you want a bluray player, media hub... something to watch TVNZ on Demand etc with on the big screen..

For me.... I don't like the backup times of the PS3, so have no interest in large media storage devices plugged into my TV that take all night to back up... My method at the moment at the moment is just stream Video off my laptop direct to the TV, and Music off my laptop direct to the Receiver... so 1TB drive upgrades just are of no interest to me..

320GB is the sweet spot for me... Started with 60... expanded it to 120 (my old laptop drive when I expanded that).... then 120 started getting a bit small, but my launch console bricked so the timing was right for a 320 slim...

0 Kudos

Remember when I said I'd kill u last?? .... I LIIIIED!!
Uncharted Quadruple Platinum Club, 2008-12
Award Winner
/16

RandAPle4

• Award Winner
95%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
RandAPle4
Accepted Solution

Hi Kiwi,

mine only holds games but I managed to fill a 320GB drive in no time once I joined PSN Plus. PlayTV recordings can take up a fair bit of space too.

0 Kudos

regards
Rob
/16

Plasiv

30%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Plasiv
Accepted Solution

I bought a 12gb console, and I love it. It's good if you intend to play few games and watch movies on it.

0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

gavsta72

• Award Winner
99%
12 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
gavsta72
Accepted Solution

It's just a way to sell more consoles to uninformed customers

Sony (and us guys) know damm well that a few game intalls later.......there goes12GB of storage

But  geez I tell ya what, if I was an unsuspecting customer and I bought a 12GB PS3 and GT5 for example, only to find I couldn't install  the GT5 data.............I wouldnt be too happy at all

Sony need to do more marketing anyway (and so do retailers) the PS3 is afterall an excellent media hub, 3D bluray player, and HD gaming console. On the accasions when  I've been into a retailer just to check things out, wether it be a game shop or just an electrical retailer, Ive heard staff tell the mum and dad (and other uninformed people)  that the 360 and PS3 are HD gaming consoles............and that's basicly about it

PSNsig

0 Kudos

1TB PS4 - 500GB PS3 - Samsung 40" 3D LED - Yamaha 5.1 Audio
/16

smokeypsd

92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
smokeypsd
Accepted Solution
Nothing Sony can do about ill equipped customer service. For these kinds of interests it's just not here in Australia
0 Kudos

View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel