04 May 2010
Playstation Staff

3.5 mm Headphones on PS3

10 Replies 3,549 Views Created 04-05-2010

I am currently saving towards a proper game headset but dont have the money at the moment

I want to use some basic 'PC' headphones on my ps3 band am wondering if this would work

I would use the Standard ps3 cable (Red,Yellow,White) and plug the Red and White cables into this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Female-Phono-Audio-Cable/dp/B000Q8KSS0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronic...

I would then plug the other end into this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-Coupler-Adaptor-Stereo-Connector/dp/B0037LA9DW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

And the headphone slot into the other side of that.

I am wondering if this would work, And also if there is an easier way can somebody tell me.

Thank you

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (3,549 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: 3.5 mm Headphones on PS3

So you are just wanting to listen through the headphones and not use a mic?

Do you have a headphone socket on your TV?
drb,forum,sig
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (3,535 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Nope
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (3,508 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Ah, well I can't see why your solution wouldn't work. I can't think of anything you could do that would be easier for a cheap, temporary solution.
drb,forum,sig
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (3,500 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

llX-CHAOS-Xll wrote:

I am currently saving towards a proper game headset but dont have the money at the moment

I want to use some basic 'PC' headphones on my ps3 band am wondering if this would work

I would use the Standard ps3 cable (Red,Yellow,White) and plug the Red and White cables into this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Female-Phono-Audio-Cable/dp/B000Q8KSS0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronic...

I would then plug the other end into this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-Coupler-Adaptor-Stereo-Connector/dp/B0037LA9DW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

And the headphone slot into the other side of that.

I am wondering if this would work, And also if there is an easier way can somebody tell me.

Thank you

I used to use exactly that set-up with my PS2. Are you using the yellow cable into your TV now? Because that's probably the worst signal cable you can use to hook up a PS3 to a TV, picture-wise. I have an adaptor for the PS2 that outputs to SCART but also has the red and white phono connectors (something very like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/PSone-PS2-Scart-Lead-Block/dp/B000079DOA/).

Anyway, connecting direct to your TV would be a much simpler option if you could (I'm surprised - even really old TVs often have a connector at the back), but in my case I was using an old 14" portable and there was noticeable noise from the headphone socket, so I preferred to take the audio direct from the machine. Since I got a new TV, I've gone back to the simpler solution.

Soozibags: The People's Champion
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (3,500 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Im using a 22" LCD  TV and i using A HDMI cable, No idea why i have no headphone slot

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (3,494 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

What model's the TV? I can't imagine a new TV without a headphone socket!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (3,457 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Right. The reason I asked whether you had the video via the yellow composite cable is that I was worried that with both an HDMI cable and the composite cable plugged in you'd lose either the video or the audio or both.

Fortunately, I'm in a position to test the scenario and I'm happy to report that it definitely works - video via HDMI and audio via the composite cables. You have to go into the system settings and change the audio device (under sound settings - helpfully, the PS3 allows multiple audio output devices).

Oh and it is possible to get hold of a connector with two phono sockets at one end and a 3.5mm stereo socket at the other. I seem to have one in my drawer of miscellaneous cables. No idea where I got it from. I think it might be the product of the blasphemous union of some ordinary cables getting their male and female connectors together in the darkness of the drawer. The filthy beggars.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (3,420 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

try this works a treat for me got wireless sont headphones offebay won them for 11.50 great deal and i just clip me mic on me headphones and set voice too come out the tv,works perfect
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (3,409 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

What a fantastic idea with the av leads and a little adaptor, that's thinking outside the box.....well done.:Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (3,404 Views)
0 Kudos