04 May 2010
Playstation Staff

3.5 mm Headphones on PS3

10 Replies 3,951 Views Created 04-05-2010

I am currently saving towards a proper game headset but dont have the money at the moment

I want to use some basic 'PC' headphones on my ps3 band am wondering if this would work

I would use the Standard ps3 cable (Red,Yellow,White) and plug the Red and White cables into this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Female-Phono-Audio-Cable/dp/B000Q8KSS0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronic...

I would then plug the other end into this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-Coupler-Adaptor-Stereo-Connector/dp/B0037LA9DW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

And the headphone slot into the other side of that.

I am wondering if this would work, And also if there is an easier way can somebody tell me.

Thank you

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (3,951 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: 3.5 mm Headphones on PS3

So you are just wanting to listen through the headphones and not use a mic?

Do you have a headphone socket on your TV?
drb,forum,sig
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (3,937 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Nope
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (3,910 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Ah, well I can't see why your solution wouldn't work. I can't think of anything you could do that would be easier for a cheap, temporary solution.
drb,forum,sig
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (3,902 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

llX-CHAOS-Xll wrote:

I am currently saving towards a proper game headset but dont have the money at the moment

I want to use some basic 'PC' headphones on my ps3 band am wondering if this would work

I would use the Standard ps3 cable (Red,Yellow,White) and plug the Red and White cables into this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Female-Phono-Audio-Cable/dp/B000Q8KSS0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronic...

I would then plug the other end into this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-Coupler-Adaptor-Stereo-Connector/dp/B0037LA9DW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

And the headphone slot into the other side of that.

I am wondering if this would work, And also if there is an easier way can somebody tell me.

Thank you

I used to use exactly that set-up with my PS2. Are you using the yellow cable into your TV now? Because that's probably the worst signal cable you can use to hook up a PS3 to a TV, picture-wise. I have an adaptor for the PS2 that outputs to SCART but also has the red and white phono connectors (something very like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/PSone-PS2-Scart-Lead-Block/dp/B000079DOA/).

Anyway, connecting direct to your TV would be a much simpler option if you could (I'm surprised - even really old TVs often have a connector at the back), but in my case I was using an old 14" portable and there was noticeable noise from the headphone socket, so I preferred to take the audio direct from the machine. Since I got a new TV, I've gone back to the simpler solution.

-------
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (3,902 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Im using a 22" LCD  TV and i using A HDMI cable, No idea why i have no headphone slot

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (3,896 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

What model's the TV? I can't imagine a new TV without a headphone socket!

-------
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11 (3,859 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Right. The reason I asked whether you had the video via the yellow composite cable is that I was worried that with both an HDMI cable and the composite cable plugged in you'd lose either the video or the audio or both.

Fortunately, I'm in a position to test the scenario and I'm happy to report that it definitely works - video via HDMI and audio via the composite cables. You have to go into the system settings and change the audio device (under sound settings - helpfully, the PS3 allows multiple audio output devices).

Oh and it is possible to get hold of a connector with two phono sockets at one end and a 3.5mm stereo socket at the other. I seem to have one in my drawer of miscellaneous cables. No idea where I got it from. I think it might be the product of the blasphemous union of some ordinary cables getting their male and female connectors together in the darkness of the drawer. The filthy beggars.

-------
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (3,822 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

try this works a treat for me got wireless sont headphones offebay won them for 11.50 great deal and i just clip me mic on me headphones and set voice too come out the tv,works perfect
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (3,811 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

What a fantastic idea with the av leads and a little adaptor, that's thinking outside the box.....well done.:Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (3,806 Views)
0 Kudos