Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: 3D TV To Use With PS3 For Gaming/3D Blu-Rays

SuperJase wrote:

I've tried a few 3D games and Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Apocalypse and Super Stardust are my favourites so far, although Wipeout is also pretty good.

Give Avatar a shot. The game itself is a bit blargh at times but the 3D effect is pretty stunning. The 'side by side' mode it uses has been known to cause headaches but so far so good for me.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 40 (591 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

SuperJase wrote:

I have a Panny 55VT30 and the 3D is just great, expensive, but great :smileyhappy:

While I was researching in which one to buy it was very clear that plasma is currently the best option because they have far less cross talk, and all I can say is that my VT30 has pretty much got none at all. As mentioned above you can get a 42" GT30 for a reasonable price and it is probably what I would recommend.

There are pros and cons for both active and passive sets but one thing to bear in mind is that the active sets produce full HD 3D pictures whereas the passive ones do not, although depending on the TV, where you sit etc you might not even notice this, also, games do not play in full HD 3D, maybe when the PS4 is out this will be rectified. My VT30 is active and if the room is very bright it can show some flicker but with the lights down/curtains closed the picture is just stunning and no flicker is noticable at all.

I've tried a few 3D games and Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Apocalypse and Super Stardust are my favourites so far, although Wipeout is also pretty good.

Cheers for the insight I may very well go for a Panny Plasma then :smileyhappy:. How are the viewing angles in relation to 3D?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 40 (572 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

If you're going for a plasma I think the viewing angles are better than LCD/LED TV's

That said, my Sony LCD is pretty good for viewing angles, you've really got to tilt your head some to lose the effect.

Edit : nooby mistake removed before zinep and james91 pull me up on it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 40 (569 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

fski wrote:

If you're going for a plasma I think the viewing angles are better than LCD/LED TV's

That said, my Sony LCD is pretty good for viewing angles, you've really got to tilt your head some to lose the effect.

Edit : nooby mistake removed before zinep and james91 pull me up on it.

Yeah my current 37" Sony has great viewing angles, I sit to the bottom left of the tv (since it's wall mounted) and can see everything perfectly =]

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 40 (562 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Cool. Well, with a plasma you're going to get the best viewing angle and best 3D viewing angles.

The only minus I've ever seen about 3D content with plasmas is that it can be a little dark. I'm not gonna go futher though, the plasma gang around here are pretty protective. :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 40 (559 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

fski wrote:

Cool. Well, with a plasma you're going to get the best viewing angle and best 3D viewing angles.

The only minus I've ever seen about 3D content with plasmas is that it can be a little dark. I'm not gonna go futher though, the plasma gang around here are pretty protective. :smileytongue:

Lol I got your back don't worry, bring it on Plasma Team! haha.

I've heard Plasma's have screen burn in problems, is this an old tech Plasma or do the new panels still suffer from it?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 40 (548 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

You're very, very unlikely to get burn-in now on a plasma but you probably will get some form of retention at some point with it, but it generally fades within a few minutes of removing the static image from the screen.

Panasonic's are the most resistant plasma panels to retention, I actually left one of mine on pause for almost an hour and a half one time and managed not to get any at all.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 40 (542 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

fski wrote:

Roaargh!

But seriously, you're right. The reason is that with a more homogenous background lighting, as with LCD, it's easier to get brigher picture. If the 3D will make you lose X percent of the photons on the way to the eye, due to the polarization changes in the shutters, then you increase the backlight by X percent, and make sure the backlights aren't easily saturated). (In reality, there are some other variables to take into account, but it's the basic principle).

With plasma, there are a few variables which may explain the dark image. For instance, it could be due to a nonliniar change in brightness of the cells, or that they are becoming saturated. And there are some other potential problems.

I do prefer my plasma to the LCD's I've seen, but plasmas aren't perfect, and the 3D will need to continue to develop on both technologies.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 40 (536 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

if you are interested in a huge screen setup....you could get the optoma HD67 projector+ Optoma 3D-XL 3D converter.

this is the setup i use with my ps3, and it means i have a massive 80" 3D screen in my bedroom now....also has the benfit of much much less "ghosting" than many of the LCD based 3D-TV's.....when i tried a 3d-tv in store, the ghosting was really obviousy alot of the time.....but on my setup i genuinely haven't noticed any yet.

the whole setup projector/3d-box/screen (or white-board in my case) shouldn't set you back more than around £750-800.....same as the budget 3d-tv's, but with a screen that's thrice the size.....

if you've got the space, it' well worth considering :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 40 (522 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Vysey wrote:

fski wrote:

Lol I got your back don't worry, bring it on Plasma Team! haha.

I've heard Plasma's have screen burn in problems, is this an old tech Plasma or do the new panels still suffer from it?

Let's invent some new terminology; we'll say "burn in" and "residue image".

With regards to to "burn in", it can happen to to any technology. It may be easier with plasma, and it may be more severe when it does happen -- but trust me when I say that you would actually have to actively try, hard, to get an image to burn in.

With regards to residue images; it happens. For instance, if I watch media which is 4:3 for a while, I can get slightly darker borders on the sides. But when I then view something which is 16:9, the dark borders disappear after at most a minute. I actually tried watchnig ST:TNG for an entire day once, just in order to see how bad it got. Then, at the end of the day I watched an episode of Mythbusters, and the dark border disappeared almost immediately.

Burn-in isn't a problem with plasma (as in "it won't go away", or "is difficult to remove"). Residue images can be seen, but they don't appear under normal (16:9) circumstances, and should one get them, they are trivial to remove.

I wouldn't say plasma has any burn-in problems, at least not today. But I have obviously not tried all plasma screens out there..

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 40 (509 Views)
0 Kudos