14 Mar 2012
By Dellx

Playstation Staff

Advice - ps3 playing dvd's but not games

5 Replies 8,614 Views Created 14-03-2012

Hi! Thanks for everyone taking a look to help me.

For some reason, my ps3 isnt playing most of my games but is still playing dvd's. None of the disks are in bad condition so i did consider it needed a replaced lazor or reader, but i thought id check on here first with it still playing dvds? its odd. My ps3 also sounds like a plane when its trying to play the disks.

Thanks alot for your time! 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (8,614 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: Advice - ps3 playing dvd's but not games

Hey, the drive uses different lasers for blu-ray and CD/DVD so that could suggest why the console'll read DVDs but not games. You're not under warranty are you?

Occasionally disc reading problems (caused by a software error) can be solved by rebuilding the database within the Safe Mode menu - all the info is in the link below, although it's worth highlighting that there could be implications in choosing the wrong option.

Equally, it's a good idea to back up any saved data/media just in case something goes wrong, either onto a USB stick or external HDD :smileyhappy:

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/627262?start=0&tstart=0

If the laser has burnt out/is defective and you're not under warranty then you've got a few options:

- You can attempt it to fix the problem yourself by installing a new laser (around £70 on amazon)
- You could get a third party repair (£70 at consoledoctor.co.uk),
- You could get a refurbished equivalent console from Sony (usually £110)
- You could opt for a new slim (around £190 depending on the store)

If you need more info or want to try and convince them to give you a free console, Sony's contact details are below :smileyhappy:

0844 736 0595
help@uk.playstation.com

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (8,598 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Aha no im not under warrenty anymore :smileysad:

But thanks so much for this! Makes sence now to why its reading my dvd's. Ill have a look at that link you posted, if not, ill probably end up getting it taken in :smileysad:

again thanks. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (8,582 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks. But I have tried all 4 steps but still it doesn't play games just blue ray movies only. When I put games cd it starts spinning couple of times then stopped? Can you please help me out thanks
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (2,539 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Your laser is burnt out and needs replacing you can buy a new laser for about £30 but this requires a bit of technical competency to replace.  You could take the easier route and just replace the enire blu ray drive and costs about £70.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (2,532 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

What model is it? If its a fatty, they have a logic board inside the bluray drive that is paired with the main motherboard, unsure if this is also the case with a slim though.

If it is a Fatty and you decide to replace the whole drive, ensure you put the logic board out of the old drive into the new one.

Alternatively, a complete laser assembley is easy to fit into your existing drive.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (2,521 Views)
0 Kudos