19 Jun 2012
By davey23
Beta Tester
Playstation Staff

Another launch day PS3 bites the dust

11 Replies 270 Views Created 19-06-2012
Well, after many years of faithful service my launch day 60Gb has died. Classic YLOD - that serves me right for playing Duke Nukem! New slim ordered. I'll try and fix it when the new one arrives to do a transfer but I'm not too worried as I have PS+ so the important stuff is protected. Goodbye old friend, all good things must come to an end!!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12 (270 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: Another launch day PS3 bites the dust

*weeps*

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12 (258 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Must be one of the last, you did well to keep it going this long fella

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12 (244 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

God speed.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12 (237 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

It's not the launch day PS3 you need, but the one you deserve
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12 (218 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

RIP
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12 (212 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

dont mean to brag but mine's still going strong : ) not missed a beat since i bought it on launch day, apart from having a new bluray laser. i feel for you though mate, id be gutted if it was mine
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12 (210 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

It has to be said that it had never hung or crashed (except during beta testing) and it has been well used. I used it an awful lot on Gran Turismo, grinding B spec 24 hour races. About two years ago I stripped it down and renewed the thermal paste and gave it a good clean out. Just annoying, it did seem to fail at the point I died in the game - at first I thought it had just crashed but when I tried to reset I got the Yellow light. I am thinking about sending it to Console Doctor because there are a couple of things on the old drive that I don't have backed up. I should get the new slim tomorrow and I also ordered a 1TB drive - the old one only had 500Gb so it is also an upgrade opportunity! I hope this one sees me through to the PS4
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12 (204 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

gotta admit,i am starting to get scared now

I always leave switching the system on when i have just switched it off,i read somewehre that some piece of metal expands and shrinks if you keep turning it on and off all the time and causes the YLOD,no idea how true that is..but if i turn the system off,then i don't turn it on for at least an hour

I did have an instance with an update in about 2008 where it would not play any DVDs or Blu Rays,i had to reformat the HDD and it worked fine after that

All i can say is my PS3 60gig is still going,knock on wood *bangs head*

Hopefully if or when it does finally die,then PS4 wont be too far away :smileyfrustrated:

FF14:ARR-Mancunian Metal

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12 (187 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Good it lasted this long.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12 (167 Views)
0 Kudos