Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Bluetooth Headset Guide

[ Edited ]
54 Replies 19,118 Views edited 30-12-2008
Bluetooth Headset Setup Guide for
PLAYSTATION 3
All the information included is current to Firmware 2.50.

Contents:
1. Compatibility
  • Bluetooth Headsets
  • USB Headsets
  • Not Compatible with Bluetooth Stereo Headphones

2. Setup

• Charging and Pairing a Bluetooth Headset
  • Connect a USB (wired) Headset
  • Mic Test and Volume Setting
  • More Ways to Configure Input/Output
  • In Game XMB 
  • Helpful Links

3. Troubleshooting

• General Troubleshooting
  • Problems When Changing Games/Maps/Servers
  • Noise or Feedback
  • Pairing Problems
  • Voice Chat Drops
  • Controller Interference
  • Playstation 3 Links and Customer Support

4. Game Specific Information

5. Brand and Model Listing

1. Compatibility

The PS3 supports only one headset at a time. Multiple players on the same console will have to share.

Bluetooth:

• The PS3 uses Bluetooth version 2.0, and is compatible with all earlier versions.
  • All makes and brands of Bluetooth headset should work with the PS3.

USB:

USB (wired) Headsets can also be used with the PS3.

• Any of the PS2 compatible USB headsets should work with PS3 games.
  • USB headsets are required for PS2 software used on the PS3.

Not Compatible with Bluetooth Stereo Headphones:

• The Bluetooth audio signal for PS3 only carries voice chat. The game sounds and music are played through your TV or stereo receiver only.
  • If you want to listen to the gameplay with headphones then they will have to be compatible with your TV or stereo receiver.

2. Setup

A Bluetooth headset has to be registered, or "paired", with your PS3 before it can be used.

• Make sure your Bluetooth headset is fully charged before you begin.
  • Check your headset instructions for entering "pairing mode". Activate your headsets' "pairing mode" so it can be recognized by the PS3.
  • On the Cross Media Bar (or XMB) of the PS3 go to the "Settings" tab, then down into "Accessory Settings", then down into "Manage Bluetooth Devices".
  • With your headset in pairing mode, follow the onscreen instructions and let the PS3 scan for your headset. When your headset is found, follow the prompts and enter a pass key (if necessary- the default is usually 0000 for all brands). The pairing should now be complete.

If you're using a USB (wired) headset, just plug it into one of the ports on the front of the PS3 (the system should auto-detect the USB headset).

Mic Test and Volume Setting

After pairing a Bluetooth headset, or after plugging in a USB (wired) headset, return to the XMB. Go to "Accessory Settings" and choose "Audio Device Settings". You can test your headset here.

• Your headset should appear as the audio input/output device. If not, just use the D-pad to highlight the Input line, then scroll until you see yours. Any microphone you have used with your PS3 will be listed, but only the current one will be available to select.
  • Set the "Microphone Level" to 4. You can change the level any time if needed.
  • Speak into the headset, and the level bar at the top of the screen should move at the sound of your voice.

You can also view a list of Bluetooth accessories you have registered in the "Manage Bluetooth Devices" tab under "Settings".

If your mic doesn't appear there then try pairing it again.

There are more ways to configure the audio input and output that can be useful:

• Set the input to (your mic) and leave the output on (default)- one person can chat with the other players, and the replys will play over your TV speakers rather than into your mic. Great when sharing one console because everyone can hear the team talk.
  • Set the input and output to (default)- you will hear the game sound and voice chat through your TV speakers but won't be able to talk back. Great if you don't have a headset, or if you want the room to hear the team chat.
  • Set the output to (default) to use stereo headphones with your TV or receiver. Then set the input to (your mic) and you can chat while wearing stereo headphones. Keeping the mic close to your face could be a problem since both ears are already taken! You could try a USB desktop mic and see if that works. I will add info on that as it comes in.

In Game XMB:

• All of the functions in Audio Device Settings are available when using the XMB via the PS button during a game. You can set the input/output, mic level, and device. You can test your mic, and pair a new BT headset while in game. 

For more help you can try these links:

3. Troubleshooting

General:

If you are having trouble with a headset after it is paired with the PS3, there are a few things to check first:

• Make sure your headset battery is charged and working. Be aware that some brands/models will need to be paired again after each recharge. It's not a problem, it's just the way those models work.
  • Make sure your controller is charged. Lots of strange things happen when the controllers don't have enough power, like dropouts and headset interference.
  • The headset should be set as the input/output device from the XMB.
  • For Bluetooth users, make sure there are no other Bluetooth devices in use near your PS3. Also try to eliminate any other radio frequency interference if possible.
  • For USB users, make sure the connection is secure and there are no wire breaks.
  • Update your console to the current available firmware.

Problems When Changing Games/Maps/Servers:

• When you start another round, a new game, or change maps, the headset suddenly no longer works. You'll know because the voices start playing through your TV speakers. This is usually just a connection loss, like a phone call hanging up. Tap the "call button" on your BT headset and it should re-connect.

Noise or Feedback:

• A screeching noise when you talk you are experiencing feedback. Turning your TV down should help.
  • Lowering the headset volume can also help. Go to Accessory Settings/ Audio Device Settings (where you test your headset) and you can set the mic volume there. Level 3 is a good start. If people have trouble hearing you then you should raise to Level 4 or Level 5.
  • If you hear an echo when you talk try turning the earpiece volume down on the headset. Many BT headsets have their own volume control.

Pairing Problems:

• If the PS3 cannot locate your headset, make sure that your headset is in pairing mode before you start scanning. The headset instructions will tell you how to set yours to pairing mode.
  • If your headset is missing from the device menu after you re-start your PS3, you will have to pair again. Many headsets will only "remember" one device at a time, so you may have to register again after using your headset with a phone.
  • If your headset appears on the Audio Device menu but is "grayed out" or not selectable, it is not connected. Make sure the headset is charged, and that it is on in standby. I should connect automatically when the Audio Device menu is selected. Tap the call button on the headset if it does not connect, or click on the Connect Bluetooth tab on screen.
  • Make sure no other Bluetooth devices are in use nearby.

Voice Chat Drops:

• Most in-game voice chat drops are simply network lag. Usually they go away after a short time, so be patient. In extreme cases you may have to leave a game and return to reset the chat function.
  • If you use wireless internet, a low signal strength can make voice chat malfunction. Make sure your wireless signal is as strong as possible to your access point.
  • Sometimes a headset will quit after changing discs to another game. Go to accessories and select your headset again.
  • Make sure no other Bluetooth devices are in use nearby.

Headset-Controller Interference:

• If your controller loses contact every time you turn on your headset, they might be interfering with each other. If the game allows it, changing the controller port assignment might help. To change the controller port assignment, hold down the PS button while in game. The settings screen that comes up will give you the option to change the controller port. This will have to be set each time you restart your PS3.
  • Be careful if you walk out of range with an active Bluetooth headset. When you return you will probably experience a controller lockup as the PS3 tries to acquire the headset signal again. Put your headset in standby or just leave it near your PS3 if you need to move more than 30 feet away.
  • And, as always, make sure no other Bluetooth devices are in use nearby.

Note: I did not make this :) Credit goes to CrashLanding from the US forums :)

- No more repeated threads horray :cheers:  , and most of this guide helps with the official PS bluetooth Headset aswell

Message Edited by deserteaglezx on 30-12-2008 01:37 PM
3 Kudos
LABELS:
^ The above post is my signature ^
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

chriswhv6

• Beta Tester
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
chriswhv6
Accepted Solution

i finally found the Sony PS3 Headset...lol

and i dont know why i didn't think of it b4...Sony Central on Chapel street Prahran..had them in stock...also picked up the wireless keypad while i was there..

now i look forward to finally using the hedseat..lol

for anyone who is in victoria and looking for the headset..they still have a few more left..so just give them a call to confirm it and u should be able to pick one up then..

0 Kudos

Re: Bluetooth Headset Guide

/16

xpl0sive87

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xpl0sive87
Accepted Solution
Let me know what the keypad is like to use. I wanted one, but the fact that it sits on top of the controller put me off.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

chriswhv6

• Beta Tester
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
chriswhv6
Accepted Solution

well it does need abit of getting use to honestly..im still not use to it...but i really like the idea how they made it turn into a touchpad as well..at the touch of a button..lol

it doesn't bother u when ur playing a game..just adds alittle bit more of weight on it overall..

i have the large logitech keyboard...but i just like the idea how the keypad is more compact and on the controller directly.

Message Edited by chriswhv6 on 16-04-2009 07:01 AM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

xpl0sive87

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xpl0sive87
Accepted Solution
I'm seriously considering a logitech dinovo mini. looks alot more comfortable to use than the ps3 keypad.
0 Kudos

/16

CharcoalDragon

84%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CharcoalDragon
Accepted Solution

does anyone know if a regular usb keyboard will work on PS3.

and where i can get one cheap, say $10. (there's bound to be some for that price)

0 Kudos

Beyond The Grave Website

CD.
I'M BACK. Been on a ~3 year break with occassional visits. Looking forward to good times in 2013.
/16

McMicka

84%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
McMicka
Accepted Solution
Yeah, any USB keyboard will work. You should be able to get one of eBay for cheapness, or at Officeworks/Harvey Norman.
0 Kudos

/16

CharcoalDragon

84%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CharcoalDragon
Accepted Solution
i have noticed that people have been saying that store have run out of the PS3 bluetooth headsets. it seems that stores are receive new stock because i've seen them in many places recently. if people are still looking for these in the melbourne area just ask, and i might be able to tell you of an easy to reach store.
0 Kudos

Beyond The Grave Website

CD.
I'M BACK. Been on a ~3 year break with occassional visits. Looking forward to good times in 2013.
Beta Tester
/16

chriswhv6

• Beta Tester
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
chriswhv6
Accepted Solution

yeh ur right CharoalDragon..a new shipment must have come in...ive been to a few stores now..(DSPower House,3 JB Stores) and they all had plenty of stock...

wish it was that easy to find them when i was looking for it a few weeks ago lol

Message Edited by chriswhv6 on 01-05-2009 01:37 AM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

FluxZero

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FluxZero
Accepted Solution

chriswhv6 wrote:

yeh ur right CharoalDragon..a new shipment must have come in...ive been to a few stores now..(DSPower House,3 JB Stores) and they all had plenty of stock...

wish it was that easy to find them when i was looking for it a few weeks ago lol

Yeah you guys were right SCE was out of stock for a while back there. All back in stock now.

How do you guys like it. Functionality wise its fantastic. Quality is second to none but I find it doesnt fit well on my ear.

Its a bit floppy and loose. It just doesnt feel secure.

Message Edited by FluxZero on 11-05-2009 11:24 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Beta Tester
/16

chriswhv6

• Beta Tester
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
chriswhv6
Accepted Solution

FluxZero wrote:

chriswhv6 wrote:

Yeah you guys were right SCE was out of stock for a while back there. All back in stock now.

How do you guys like it. Functionality wise its fantastic. Quality is second to none but I find it doesn't fit well on my ear.

Its a bit floppy and loose. It just doesn't feel secure.

i agree on the quality of the product..top marks..

but yeh i find it too its alittle loose around my ear ..lol  i guess they needed to make the ear clip alittle smaller..

i actually was wondering..i haven't tried it as yet..but does the headset work to use it while ur in HOME?

0 Kudos

/16

CharcoalDragon

84%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CharcoalDragon
Accepted Solution

i don't have one of the PS3 ones, was thinking of getting one a while back but got a $5 wired instead (that broke recently, BAH). now i'm using the EYE camera's microphone.

as for HOME, i'm sure it would work as all headset should, that is you can talk to people on your friends list by 'calling' them first from the communications menu. and then pushing 'R2' to talk.

0 Kudos

Beyond The Grave Website

CD.
Beta Tester
/16

chriswhv6

• Beta Tester
84%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
chriswhv6
Accepted Solution
ahh cool..thanks for the info
0 Kudos

/16

FluxZero

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FluxZero
Accepted Solution

chriswhv6 wrote:

FluxZero wrote:

chriswhv6 wrote:

How do you guys like it. Functionality wise its fantastic. Quality is second to none but I find it doesn't fit well on my ear.

Its a bit floppy and loose. It just doesn't feel secure.

i agree on the quality of the product..top marks..

but yeh i find it too its alittle loose around my ear ..lol  i guess they needed to make the ear clip alittle smaller..

i actually was wondering..i haven't tried it as yet..but does the headset work to use it while ur in HOME?

My regular blutooth head sets batter just died and I was forced to use the Playstaiton one. I relised that I can just take the arm off my regular one and stick it on the Playstaiton headset and walla its not a snug fit. So that being the case just go and get a replacment are for a head set and all it good.

0 Kudos

/16

jedi_mindtrick

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jedi_mindtrick
Accepted Solution

chriswhv6 wrote:

heheh ive tried online as well..lol

jb hifi online

gameswarehouse

ezygames

tried ebay ..but none seem to be here from australia only overseas..

these guys are aussie never used them tho..

http://www.gamesmen.com.au/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=headset&InputGo.x=9&InputGo.y...

0 Kudos

Photobucket
/16

musty-09

21%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
musty-09
Accepted Solution
hey i got a apple blue tooth and when i play online killzone2 ....there is only very faint noise i dont know how to put up the volume
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

deserteaglezx

• Award Winner
92%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
deserteaglezx
Accepted Solution
Go into your ps3 setings. Go to system settings, then voice chat. Then turn up the input and output to 5
0 Kudos

^ The above post is my signature ^
/16

patient-bear

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
patient-bear
Accepted Solution

Im currently using these. They are Sony Bluetooth Stereo headphones (DR-BT21G). There good because they have a mic mic so i can use them on the ps3 as well as for playing music on my phone. I dont know if anywhere in oz stock em but you can get them on ebay for around the $70 mark for a refurbed pair

Photobucket

0 Kudos

Trying to remain active
/16

FluxZero

88%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
FluxZero
Accepted Solution

patient-bear wrote:

Im currently using these. They are Sony Bluetooth Stereo headphones (DR-BT21G). There good because they have a mic mic so i can use them on the ps3 as well as for playing music on my phone. I dont know if anywhere in oz stock em but you can get them on ebay for around the $70 mark for a refurbed pair

Photobucket

The place work at has those and every sony retailer should have them.

You can get them as headphones only or in a pack with a blu-tooth adaptor for iPods and iPhones.

The retail price on them are $299 for the pack or $199 for the headphones only.

However you can get them much much cheaper similar to the ebay price for new stock.

PM me if you want to know more. However perssonally while they are extreamly comfortable you cant

lay down or use a head rest while your using them owing to the fact that they wrap around the back of your head.

But otherwise they are fantastic blutooth headphones.

Also a question, how do you find using them. Does the voice come out of both speakers or only one?

Message Edited by FluxZero on 13-05-2009 10:00 PM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

patient-bear

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
patient-bear
Accepted Solution

The voice comes out of both i think, i usually old play with one earphone actually on my ear, if i have thm both on they block out most of the game sounds. The inabilty to lay down doesnt bother me as im always playing on my couch.

0 Kudos

Trying to remain active
/16

Augustus_aka_AG

77%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Augustus_aka_AG
Accepted Solution

patient-bear wrote:

Photobucket

Are you able to use these headphones with two paired devices at the same time? Basically what I have in mind is to be able to use them as a headset for online gaming, whilst also streaming music from another device at the same time.

0 Kudos

/16

PSMANDEMON

74%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
PSMANDEMON
Accepted Solution

Are you able to use these headphones with two paired devices at the same time? Basically what I have in mind is to be able to use them as a headset for online gaming, whilst also streaming music from another device at the same time.

No. I tried to connect my walkman to it while using it as a headset, bur it wouldnt connect. I also tried the other way around, but no luck. I even looked in the manual, but it only tells you that you can connect it to multiple devices if the other device is a phone. It doesn't say anything about a PS3.

0 Kudos

GT sig
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel