12 Aug 2011
By jonelf

Playstation Staff

Can I put the old PS3 boot drive in new PS3?

5 Replies 1,049 Views Created 12-08-2011

My old PS3 died but the harddisk seems to be working. Can I put my old harddrive in the new PS3? The old one was a 40GB fat model and the new is a 320GB slim. If possible the plan is to make a backup. Put back the 320GB and then restore.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (1,049 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: Can I put the old PS3 boot drive in new PS3?

No, the new PS3 will detect it as a different drive from the one it is paired to. At this point, it will ask to reformat the drive.
Unless you can revive your old PS3, your only way forward is to create your psn id on the new PS3, and re-download any dlc and psn games. Trophies will reappear when you sync. Game saves are gone, unless you have saved them elsewhere.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (1,025 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks for a great answer although it didn't solve my problem. I guess the kids will have to play through almost all of LEGO Star Wars again (and some other minor disturbances).

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (1,007 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

There's really NO way around this? I had to ship my PS3 off for repairs (I got a replacement). I just took out my disk from the old PS3 as I really thought that would work. 4 years of game saves, videos, photos, games just goes buh-bye? That's weak by Sony, in my opinion. Very disappointing.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (1,000 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

keungz wrote:

There's really NO way around this? I had to ship my PS3 off for repairs (I got a replacement). I just took out my disk from the old PS3 as I really thought that would work. 4 years of game saves, videos, photos, games just goes buh-bye? That's weak by Sony, in my opinion. Very disappointing.

Unfortunately for you now, sorry to say it, but no :smileysad:  but for future protection read on.

It will always depend on what the problem is with each PS3.

The best option that I found so far (if your PS3 console still works) i.e, the bluray drive just died, or you have temporally fixed a ylod, then you can use the data transfer utility via an ethernet cable, to transfer all of your data form your old PS3 to a new PS3!, as far as I can remember it transferred everything I had on my original phat PS3 to my new PS3 slim, I just had to enter my passwords and e mail addresses (as far as I can remember on the new PS3), although I have heard that some copy protected data may not transfer, but I don't recall having that problem myself.

You should obviously always make regular backups as well, you can manually backup all non copy protected game saves to a fat32 formatted USB drive, or stick drive, copy protected game saves can only be backed up via upload to Playstation + (which you have to pay for), personally I think that all game saves should free and easy to backup for yourself, but what can I do!.

You can also manually backup all of your photos, personal videos that you may have made and any mp3's to a fat32 formatted USB drive or stick as well.

You can use the backup utility on your PS3 to backup data as well, (it looks like it is really designed to be restored to the same PS3 console though!) not a new one, as some data will be lost if you do! (I don't know what though) you should also find out beforehand what it will and won't backup, before you count on it to backup everything, (as it will not!).

The other thing to do is to sync your trophies online, so that when you re-sync them on the new PS3 console you will get all of your trophies back again.

One of my friends got in the habit of placing his camera memory card in to his PS3 and transferring all of his photo's to it then wiping the memory card clean each time, I told him off and warned him to make backups, as you unfortunately found out for yourself (as many others have) that they are gone forever if the PS3 totally dies on you!.

If the photos mean a lot to you then I would put the drive somewhere safe and hope that someone some day comes up with a way to access your photos for you after the PS3 console has become old and dusty, you never know!.

Just do yourself a favour and make backups from now on and if anything is really treasured to you, then some people would never trust just one backup but make two or three, on different formats and not keep them all in one location (in case of fire or theft).

Some I.S.P give you free online storage space these days!, to backup your photos and other files to, find out if yours does, I wouldn't like to trust it by itself though, I would use a drive as well if I was you.

I hope this will at least be of some help in the future to stop it from happening again!, I can't sleep so I got busy typing!.

The PS forum spell checker wants to replace xbox's with 'sob's' ! :Lol:
I'm not going to say what it wants to replace PS2's and PS3's with !!!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (970 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks for that very informative post! I've had my PS3 since 2007, but I never knew that it would be impossible to re-use an HDD on another PS3, which is why I never really cared to make backups Of course, now I know that I will have to make frequent backups -- a little too late, huh? :smileyhappy:

This is a replacement conosle, so I cannot access my old PS3. It's a shame I didn't follow forum-goers advices to make a backup of my HDD, though at the time I just didn't think it was neccesary!

I guess I'll order a new HDD, and keep this stored away in case someone in the future would be able to "crack it open". :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (932 Views)
0 Kudos