Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Can You use a 3d projector on a ps3 to play 3d games

3D projectors can work just like the new TVs d,. Showing 1 image then the other and haivng the active shutter glasses block out the left or right image. There are also projectors taht can work with polrized ligh t(like in the cinema) but these cost more.
PS3, Wii , 360 , Gaming PC
Now this is living
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20 (9,460 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Anyone know if a 3d monitor would be capable of playing the latest 3d games?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SM2233RZ-Monitor-Gloss-Black/dp/B001TH77I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=elec...

Obviously you'd need to purchase the glasses aswell.

This seems to be the cheapest option? Anyone have any other budget options to getting 3d for a resonable price?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20 (9,452 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

no it will not work, its left up to the PC to do all the leg work with a monitor like that. The PC just outputs 120fps and the glasses sink with the PC not the screen.

Now this is living
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20 (9,450 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Cheers for the reply, I guess there is no cheap option to 3D!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20 (9,433 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

pureg wrote:

MeNaCe183 wrote:

I know there is away to achieve 3d using ps3 on a 3d ready projector as long as it has hdmi and what brings me to that conclusion is this (sorry for all the info but u have to read all of it)

alright first off you have to use either XpanD's X102 or X103(soon to be released) glasses both of the these glasses are dlp link enabled which means there compatible with both 3d ready dlp tv's and 3d ready projectors and not only that i saw couple different videos from XpanD that explained that are compatible with Nvidia 3d vision also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foYT7ULqdfg if you watch this demonstration around 2:10 they have a 3d ready projector attached to a xbox 360 displaying Avatar the game in 3D  you can tell the 3d is enable because the double images and when i first saw this it threw me because i had no idea 360 had 3D capabilities but now that i've read other articles 360 is capable (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1097427p1.html) so PS3 has to be, not only that hdmi 1.4 is not required to run 3d practically you cannot achieve 1080p 3d,  using hdmi 1.3 you can only achieve 720p but who cares it still 3D. I've also read people who have the 2010 3d ready tv's that downloaded the firmware also had difficulty with the settings,  come to find out you have to download the firmware and than go to video settings to choose 3D and also enable the 3d in the game menu. heres a guide http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1276274018 . I plan on buying the viewsonic pjd6531w projector sometime soon to try it but until than keep trying guys it does work and this is how i know.  http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/Avatar-in-3D-on-the-PS3-with-Nvidia-3D-Visi...    If a guy can get the 3d to work on dlp tv using 3d vision glasses than it can work on a dlp projector. One more thing visit 3dvision-blog.com everyday they know everything when it comes to 3D.  hope this helpe

The projector will still need to work with frame packing (part of the HDMI 1.4 spec) or it will not work. All of the new PS3 games use this way to output unlike the older 3D PS3 games that have multiple options for output.

Older PS3 games used side by side and sequential frames as ways to output. The new games use frame packing which is two native frames on top of each other (720p= 1280*1470 resolution). I have not yet see a 3D projector that could support this with out being HDMI 1.4.

thats right , the avatar used the checker board format which is what most of the dlp tv were setup to work with , but sony have now said they will be using framepacking and the dlp tvs cant handle it , so there is a few 1000 people that are really ***** right now . mitsibushi made a converter box for the dlp tvs but it doesnt work with any brand and samsung are not looking into. so there are alot of people that have wasted a shed load of money as the only thing they can do is play avatar , even the 3d bluray format wont work and suppsodly one company has made a 3d blurary player that converts to checkerboard so alot of people are trying to source it at the moment . to be honest i feel sorry for them

luckily my brand new samsung has arrived in the post today that supports 3d framepacking :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::

Free Image Hosting

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20 (9,421 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

well its not exactly over just because a person managed to purchase a 3d dlp projector or dlp tv, there's always options of course one will have to own or get a pc with at decent video card, i believe the minimum is a GT 240 which goes for about 78 bucks or a GTS 250 for about a 100 with a i3, i5, or i7 processor and im not a pc gamer but honestly u can have something built on cyberpowerpc.com for about 500-700 and be completely fine until your able to afford a 2000-3000 3d hdmi 1.4 tv and yes you can play 3d blu rays and games using 3d vision or power DVD 10 and im not condoning pirating but there's always a way to get any pc software for free.99. Practically all the cross platform games that are on the market are available on the pc and you'll be able to experience them all in 3D http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-games.html, about the only thing available on ps3 in 3D is pain, killzone 3, motorstorm, stardust, and a few others but until more titles come out you can play over 300 games in 3D on a projector using your pc, so in other words theres nothing wrong with have a dlp tv or projector and playing all the games that you dont have on ps3 in 3d on your pc.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20 (9,409 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

MeNaCe183 wrote:

well its not exactly over just because a person managed to purchase a 3d dlp projector or dlp tv, there's always options of course one will have to own or get a pc with at decent video card, i believe the minimum is a GT 240 which goes for about 78 bucks or a GTS 250 for about a 100 with a i3, i5, or i7 processor and im not a pc gamer but honestly u can have something built on cyberpowerpc.com for about 500-700 and be completely fine until your able to afford a 2000-3000 3d hdmi 1.4 tv and yes you can play 3d blu rays and games using 3d vision or power DVD 10 and im not condoning pirating but there's always a way to get any pc software for free.99. Practically all the cross platform games that are on the market are available on the pc and you'll be able to experience them all in 3D http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-games.html, about the only thing available on ps3 in 3D is pain, killzone 3, motorstorm, stardust, and a few others but until more titles come out you can play over 300 games in 3D on a projector using your pc, so in other words theres nothing wrong with have a dlp tv or projector and playing all the games that you dont have on ps3 in 3d on your pc.

Any ATi or Nvidia graphics card can run in 3D now, but the thing is you got to hit 120fps so you need a high powered one if you want to play new games in 3D. Any DirectX games should work in 3D as well which is most of them.

PC right now has by far the most 3D support, and its well worth getting one if you got a 3D ready device

Now this is living
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20 (9,402 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have been researching this for a while now, AT THE MOMENT no projectors will work with PS3 3D. Purely because the projectors are designed to use frame sequential 3D, put simply the projector alternates which eye each image is shown to. This requires no processing power from the projector as its all done at source, the PS3 doesn't use this format, from what I can gather is the PS3 uses side by side 3d output, which is to say it outputs 2 images at the same time at, separated by a block of blank pixels at 60hz, the TV receives the image, separates the two images, converts them to full screen and displays the separate images at 120hz and syncs the glasses. There is no issue with HDMI 1.4, the clock speed, and outputs are the same, the only change regarding 3D is that the HDMI board have set standard outputs so you should KNOW it will work. However its not that simple as that since the HDMI board have now banned manufactures from advertising version numbers as they have caused very much confusion in the past. On the optoma website they mention the possibility of extra hardware as a work around, also i have spoken to someone who's been in touch with optoma and they have mentioned the possibility of a firmware update. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20 (9,287 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

err no. the ps3 DOES use frame sequential or frame packing as it called . i know that even from the simple fact that my tv tells me when i play wipeout or motorstorm .
it defiantly does not use side by side or top to bottom , my supports both of these also .

for the record motorstorm is by far the best example of 3d on the ps3 . its incredible . its very strange . alot of people have reported on how they resolution has been lowerd and the graphics dont come out very well . *****... i didnt notice a thing and it played beautifully . its quite odd having mud and water flying up in your face . super stardust again is INCREDIBLE :smileyvery-happy:
the samsung tv i picked up for under £900 is the dog ***** . i did start writing a proper post as a review of the 3d stuff on saturday . but windows decided it wanted to update and restart and did so without asking . so im gonna have to re write it some point ....if people are interested that is

ow and 1.3 cable works perfectly fine 

Free Image Hosting

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20 (9,282 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

"The format "Frame Packing" (left and right image packed into one video frame with twice the normal bandwidth) is mandatory for HDMI 1.4 3D devices. All three resolutions (720p50, 720p60, and 1080p24) have to be supported by display devices, and at least one of those by playback devices" quote taken from wiki, is NOT frame sequential. as both frames are sent to the display at in PACKED in one FRAME and required the display to do the work of seperating the right and left image before displaying.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20 (9,198 Views)
0 Kudos