Level 4

Re: Casual gamers unite!!!

AzzAJones wrote:

If you're only a casual gamer perhaps you could play games more suited towards the casual gamer.

Thing is, it's clear he's interested in the kind of subject matter in the likes if inFamous, Batman, Uncharted and the likes.  If there's a way for him to play and enjoy these games, then his skill level will increase, and we get one more person who enjoys our hobby.  It's easy enough to code (often very easy, but even if it takes a bit of work, it's usually worth it for the wider audience), and it means more people enjoying gaming, which means more money in gaming, which means more and better games for everyone.

Also - most games these days would qualify as 'casual' by the standards of old-school PC gaming.  Reckon there'd be a 10 games on PS3 that might not - so best people don't get on their high horse over such things.  I could (stupidly) say everything should be as hardcore as DCS Warthog, Birds of Steel on sim or Op Flash on hardcore, but then there'd only be a few million (or less) worldwide playing games.  Games, in general, have become more casual over time, not less (on all platforms, including PC, although the PC elitists don't like to admit it :smileywink:), but have also introduced some pretty hardcore difficulty levels alongside the casual ones, making the hobby more accessible to everyone.  This is a good thing :smileyhappy:.

Please use plain text.
1 Kudos
Message 11 of 24 (207 Views)
1 Kudos

Thanks axe99. I'm glad someone can see the bigger picture.

My problem is a lack of spare time. I only get to play a few hours a week what with work and study and other hobbies so I don't usually get the continuous gameplay that many others get, so my skill levels don't get the chance to develop.

I must admit when I first start playing on easy it is too easy, but I know - or presume - the difficulty will increase so that's why I choose easy. If I thought the game would stay at about the same difficulty all the way through than I would definitely play on normal. Maybe as some have said I should try normal anyway - when I have a bit more spare time anyway.

PS. I suspect casual gamers don't read these forums much so that's why they aren't responding. :Stupid:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 24 (197 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

I consider myself a casual gamer. Very casual. Generally I only get to play when my wife is out getting her nails done at the weekend. I have many games that I never finish because I am stuck at a particlar spot and I get sick of getting killed all the time with very little progress. I consider these badly written games because if they were more entertaining I'd persist with them.

Case in point: Can't get past the first helicopter mission in Ace Combat Assault Horizon. I keep getting shot down. Nothing new there. However, Pilot Dialog: BOOOORING! Gameplay: can't see a bloody thing that I'm shooting at. Controls: unresponsive. Every time I get through a bit then I get killed and have to redo the bit I just got thorugh and listen to the same boring dialog and, worst of all, the game keeps interrupting (i.e. freezing the action) with instructions about what buttons to press to dodge missiles etc and I can't turn that feature off, even though I know it off by heart after sitting through it 50 times. Result: can't be bothered. Next!

Infamous on the other hand. Love it. It took me a while to get through at first but I just keep coming back. The bad guys aren't invincible and if I don't like a particular mission I can just leave it for later when I have more power. inFamous 2 is even better.

regards
Rob
RandAPle4 on a tombstone because I get killed alot.
Please use plain text.
1 Kudos
Message 13 of 24 (194 Views)
1 Kudos
Level 6

Gotta agree with the inFamous kudos. InFamous 2 is still my only platinum, and it was a lot of fun getting there too.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 24 (184 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

RandAPle4 wrote:

I consider myself a casual gamer. Very casual. Generally I only get to play when my wife is out getting her nails done at the weekend. I have many games that I never finish because I am stuck at a particlar spot and I get sick of getting killed all the time with very little progress. I consider these badly written games because if they were more entertaining I'd persist with them.

Case in point: Can't get past the first helicopter mission in Ace Combat Assault Horizon. I keep getting shot down. Nothing new there. However, Pilot Dialog: BOOOORING! Gameplay: can't see a bloody thing that I'm shooting at. Controls: unresponsive. Every time I get through a bit then I get killed and have to redo the bit I just got thorugh and listen to the same boring dialog and, worst of all, the game keeps interrupting (i.e. freezing the action) with instructions about what buttons to press to dodge missiles etc and I can't turn that feature off, even though I know it off by heart after sitting through it 50 times. Result: can't be bothered. Next!

Infamous on the other hand. Love it. It took me a while to get through at first but I just keep coming back. The bad guys aren't invincible and if I don't like a particular mission I can just leave it for later when I have more power. inFamous 2 is even better.

I hear ya - I actually had the same reaction to Demons' Souls - the combat system was solid enough, and the world was amazing, but the repetition involved if you died (and given you could die almost purely because of the dodgy camera alone, amongst other cheap kills) was tedium in the extreme.  The seven-plus hours I played weren't that difficult (at all, in fact), they were just really, really tedious.

On the by, AC:AH's choppers really do control terribly - it's easier controlling the actual machine's in Apache: Air Assault's sim setting!  They also carry more ammunition, and do more damage - ie, in an arcade game, they're harder to fly and do less damage, than the real thing, which is ridiculous!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 24 (182 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

[ Edited ]

Axe99 wrote:

AzzAJones wrote:

If you're only a casual gamer perhaps you could play games more suited towards the casual gamer.

Thing is, it's clear he's interested in the kind of subject matter in the likes if inFamous, Batman, Uncharted and the likes.  If there's a way for him to play and enjoy these games, then his skill level will increase, and we get one more person who enjoys our hobby.  It's easy enough to code (often very easy, but even if it takes a bit of work, it's usually worth it for the wider audience), and it means more people enjoying gaming, which means more money in gaming, which means more and better games for everyone.

The same could be reversed and said for the "hardcore"(?) gamers out there.

I personally will stop playing games if they are too easy - I cannot get enjoyment out of games that don't challenge me, I feel as if I am watching a movie which is going to feed me a story regardless, rather than playing a game which rewards skill with more challenges and an involving and well-earnt storyline.

I feel as though making the game acceptibly challenging is 'easy enough to code' but it doesn't happen nearly enough. Fact is games are afraid to be challenging, because most people that play games today are casual gamers. If you dont appeal to their interests, you suddenly only have a small niche of the market to try and please and hardcore gamers are generally harder to please.

Recent games seem to be aimed more at people who can pick up a particular game and play through it without ever needing to have played any game previously (ever) and have an extremely small and forgiving learning curve. Why? Profit. Make a game accessible to more people and more people will buy it. Which brings me to my main point:

Games these games are already incredibly easy and they're only going to get even more basic from here. OP is going to get his wish, games will get easier with time and there's nothing we can do about it.  The recent ninja Gaiden series is a perfect exacmple of this, once known primarily for its difficulty - now so damn boring and easy I couldnt even bring myself to finishing the third installment.

.... Feelsbadman.

You just lost The Game.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 24 (164 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

So what is the last "hardcore gamer" game that you enjoyed, SonicHedgie?

I tend to think a genuinely good game could be enjoyed by both kinds of gamers.

regards
Rob
RandAPle4 on a tombstone because I get killed alot.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 24 (160 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

SonicHedgie wrote:
Recent games seem to be aimed more at people who can pick up a particular game and play through it without ever needing to have played any game previously (ever) and have an extremely small and forgiving learning curve. Why? Profit. Make a game accessible to more people and more people will buy it. Which brings me to my main point:
Games these games are already incredibly easy and they're only going to get even more basic from here. OP is going to get his wish, games will get easier with time and there's nothing we can do about it.  The recent ninja Gaiden series is a perfect exacmple of this, once known primarily for its difficulty - now so damn boring and easy I couldnt even bring myself to finishing the third installment.

.... Feelsbadman.

I agree there are issues with some games being too easy off the bat (the Assassin's Creed series could do with difficulty settings, for example), but using Ninja Gaiden as an example isn't necessarily representative (most reviewers and anyone I've heard who's touched it all note NG 3's pretty awful, including for it's dumbed-down difficulty).  Have you played Batman on the hardest setting?  Birds of Steel on Sim?  RUSE on hard?  Killzone 2/3 on Vet?  I've been playing TPS' since they existed as a genre, and the Uncharted series on Crushing is as hard as they get. And (apart from BIRDS OF STEEL and RUSE) I'm listing examples that are pretty mainstream.  The CoD/MW series on veteran is also plenty challenging (again, I've been playing FPS since they existed as a genre, and still go back to the classics every now and again - at the highest level, FPS are _not_ getting easier).

So if you play on normal or easy, they might be, but there are plenty of games out there that'll test your mettle at least as good as the 'good old days'.  And as a bonus, many of these games (CoD, Batman, BIRDS OF STEEL) also cater to people that have less experience in the genre, or prefer a gentler path.  That's not to say that there aren't games that just rolled with one difficulty setting (that will clearly still be too hard for some, and too easy for others) like Assassin's Creed, but these tend to be less common these days, rather than more (back in the day, you were far more often lumped with one level of difficulty for everyone, whether you were new or old to gaming/the genre).

However, there _has_ been a huge decrease in the amount of repetition and tedium in modern gaming, with higher RAM and hard drivers enabling far more frequent checkpointing.  But you can always play Dead Space 2 on hardcore if overly frequent checkpoints are your issue :smileywink:.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 24 (151 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

The problem isn't that the games are too hard, the problem is that your playing the wrong games! If your a casual gamer those games aren't for you because one of the main features of those games is the battles and fights. If your a casual gamer, play something like Bejewled or get a mini from the PS Store. Anything simple and fun play would great for you.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 24 (99 Views)
0 Kudos

qwerty, if casual gamers are supposed to like games like Bejewed then maybe I'm not really a casual gamer. I can't stand puzzle games or platformers or anything that keeps reminding me I'm just playing a game. I prefer RPGs that I can lose myself in and the more realistic or movie-like the better. And don't get me wrong - i enjoy a bit of fighting and killing if it's part of a good story. I just consider myself a casual gamer because I don't play very often - certainly not as often as I would like. But maybe I'm actually a "part-time" gamer. :-)

So are there any other games out there like Uncharted 2? That's my favourite game so far because it was immersive with an interesting story and lots of action but it also had great character interaction and humour. And there was great sexual tension between Nathan and Chloe. :-)

I also enjoyed GTA IV, and Mass Effect 2 but of course I got stuck at one of the fight scenes.

Any other suggestions?

Why isn't there a "comedy" genre???

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 24 (93 Views)
0 Kudos