PlayStation®3

PS3 General

PS3 General

14 Dec 2011
By: Ethnod

3 Posts

Connecting a PS3 to an old TV

6 Replies 4287 Views Created 14-12-2011

So I just bought a PS3 and while I have a HDTV its in my room and I wanted to bring the PS3 out into the sitting room from time to time. 

I also have a PS2 and I was wondering, can I use the PS2 cable I use to connect the PS2 to the old TV on the PS3? Or do I need to go off and buy a new cable for the back of the PS3 (even though they have the same connection) 

My PS3 is an old one 60gig (not sure what generation btw but if you tell me how to find out I'll post that also)

Let me know if you need more info

Thanks

Ethnod

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (4,287 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Re: Connecting a PS3 to an old TV

You can use the cable which came with your PS2, I assume you're using scart connection?

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (4,284 Views)
0 Kudos

Yes, scart. I just tried connecting it there and nothing. Blank screen. Any thoughts? Is there any setting on the PS3 that would stop the PS2 cable from working?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (4,277 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Just bear in mind when you switch between HD & SD you will have to power on by holding down the power button for a few seconds to reset the display method.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (4,276 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Ethnod wrote:

Yes, scart. I just tried connecting it there and nothing. Blank screen. Any thoughts? Is there any setting on the PS3 that would stop the PS2 cable from working?

B4 you move the ps3 from a HD tv change the video settings and then it will work.  I used to have to do this alot. Not tried the holding power button for a few seconds but cant see y that wouldnt work

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (4,264 Views)
0 Kudos

Thanks micktee28

I have tried a good few things and nothing was working. I even tried hooking it up to my HDTV and changing the setting to RGB manually (actually having to finish off the settings blind as it would not show up then) and nothing was working. I tried what micktee28 said and it worked.

Just to clarify for anyone coming later on, I did the following:

1) I turned off the PS3
2) connected scart from PS2 cable to back of TV and other end to back of PS3
3) Turned on by holding Power button for 5 or more seconds until it beeps a second time (once for power as usual and second after the 5 secs)
4) Image then showed up on old TV :smileyhappy:

Thanks again micktee28
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (4,245 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Ethnod wrote:

Thanks again micktee28

No love for me :smileysad:

Photobucket
Please use plain text.