28 May 2012

Playstation Staff

Connecting non HDCP monitors via HDMI Output

2 Replies 462 Views Created 28-05-2012

I want to connect a Viewsonic VG910S LCD monitor (native res 1280x1024 and 4:3 aspect ratio). It is a non HDCP device so my question is whether I can output an HDMI signal from the PS3 to ithe monitor's DVI input using a suitable converter cable. In display settings I have suitably opted for standard definition (576p) and have chosen a 4:3 format but I am currently getting nothing. The screen detects a signal but there is no picture. What are my options?

Does the HDMI output only support HDCP compliant monitors?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3 (462 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: Connecting non HDCP monitors via HDMI Output

[ Edited ]

What HDMI to DVI conversion cable are you using.

Why are you using 576p your display should support 720p.  

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. User of... VM cable, SKY+HD, Game Capture HD II. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43.
Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast... and TV from Sky PS4.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3 (444 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: Connecting non HDCP monitors via HDMI Output

I am using a basic Amazon procured cable. I dropped to 576p to make absolutely sure I was within the monitors range. I did try 720p and nothing! I have a feeling it may be the non HDCP compliance since the monitor dates to 2004, before the HDCP standards were set. I have heard that HDMI does not like feeding through equipment that is not HDCP compliant. That is why a lot of new monitors with DVI-D mention compliance with HDCP. Could that be my problem?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3 (422 Views)
0 Kudos