16 Nov 2010
By dgaunt
Playstation Staff

Controllers won't sync

15 Replies 19,105 Views Created 16-11-2010

Got home tonight and put TV on, playTV was aleady on so I picked up the BD remote, nothing, thought it might be the batteries, so changed them, still nothing. So I get my sixaxis, turn it on the lights flash for a bit then it turns off, so I think maybe it needs charging, so I plug in in lights flash, I press the PS button, it goes on. leave it a bit then unplug it, it goes off!, I try turning on a move contoller, it flashes for ages then goes off. Look up problem on internet, tried resetting contollers still the same, tried doing a restore default settings but that didn't help. I'm currently backing up my ps3 to do a "restore ps3 system" in the morning

has anyone had this problem, do I really need to restore to factory settings?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16 (19,105 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Controllers won't sync

Have you tried doing a hard reset, ie completely powering off your PS3 at the mains?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16 (19,069 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Doing a hard reset for the controllers can sometimes be a bit tricky.

1) make sure the PS3 is on standby

2) connect the controller via the USB cable

2) hold down the reset button for a few seconds until the lights flash

3) press the PS button which will also boot up the PS3

I have done this a number of times on one occasion before I could get it to work.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16 (19,061 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

This hasn't happened to me but yesterday I read a very similar post on the forum where controllers etc wouldn't sync. Ah here it is - http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/What-s-up-with-my-PS3/m-p/11...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16 (19,045 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I read that, I have tried turning my ps3 off completely but that didn't work, I did a full system restore which also didn't work. I did notice that the full  restore doesn't revert the firmware, so its a bit of a lie really. Anyway it looks like I'll have to check the bluetooth connector, don't see how it could have come lose though since my ps3 is never moved. I could cope having to have sixaxis plugged in to play games but it just won't do with Move

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16 (19,028 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

hope it dont happen to me lol

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16 (19,005 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Try the recovery menu http://faq.en.playstation.com/cgi-bin/scee_gb.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?locale=en_GB&p_faqid=4545&...

Try option 3 and repeat then option 4 it might kick the systems drivers back in to get the controllers working again.

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16 (18,989 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

dgaunt wrote:

I read that, I have tried turning my ps3 off completely but that didn't work, I did a full system restore which also didn't work. I did notice that the full  restore doesn't revert the firmware, so its a bit of a lie really. Anyway it looks like I'll have to check the bluetooth connector, don't see how it could have come lose though since my ps3 is never moved. I could cope having to have sixaxis plugged in to play games but it just won't do with Move

If you're good with electronics no worries, if not, carefully follow any dismantling instructions (assuming your warranty has expired) and keep the pieces and screws etc carefully laid out to aid with the re-assembly :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16 (18,988 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I didn't have to open it up after all, I left the system to restore from the back up I'd made then when i got back it had a message saying unable to complete retore, it does seem to have restored my saved games (most important things!) but nothing else, but then i unplugged the controller and it stayed on. I just had to resync everything and now its working again :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16 (18,977 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: Controllers won't synch

This just happen to my sisters ps3. Does it format the drive if you hard retort it to default settings?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16 (16,513 Views)
0 Kudos