26 Jan 2011
By Jcarm
Playstation Staff

Correct hard disk not found

[ Edited ]
17 Replies 1,428 Views edited 26-01-2011

This is a FIRST GEN PS3.  Big sleek and sexy.

Correct hard disk not found is now the message my PS3 reads upon startup. On that note I hear a clunk clunk sound coming from the HDD area.

Of course the first thing I did was Google why the stupid thing is doing this and that.. and found my way to some fixes. "Hold this/that to access Recovery" Well upon holding this/that I never reach a Recovery menu. Holding down buttons isn't a hard concept I even counted on my fingers like the little kid did in the video - Still the dreaded "Correct hard disk not found"

Another idea was to pull the HDD out and clean it.. did this.. put it back in and once again Correct hard disk not found

What in the hell do I do to make this thing work.. GRR.
(If I have to buy another HDD I don't care.. but what do I buy?)

More info:

Earlier today my PS3 froze and wouldn't shut off forcing me to shut it off using the switch in the back. Since that time I didn't use the PS3 for about 8 hours.. and this is what I come back to.

Also recently my girlfriend bought me an external hard drive that we've been using to watch movies.  Not sure if this has anything to do with anything but figured i'd leave it on note.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18 (1,428 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Correct hard disk not found

"Big sleek and sexy." lol that's funny "sexy".

So the HDD was not found, if you cannot format it via your PS3 because it shows it's "damaged" take it out and plug it to an external HDD case or a laptop, then format it on it.

I took out the 250GB out of my PS3 Slim and formatted by plugging to a laptop, and it all worked fine (it showed on the PS3 as the HDD was damaged and unusable which wasn't true).

If you call PlayStation they'll tell you "you got a serious problem with your PS3" or something like it.

Next-Gen Console Picks: Nintendo Wii U & Sony PS4!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18 (1,420 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Going to take a stab at your laptop idea.

I assume that I must format it to FAT32?

I used http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm to format my external HD - Would I be able to use this to format this current hard drive?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18 (1,397 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Jcarm wrote:

Going to take a stab at your laptop idea.

I assume that I must format it to FAT32?

I used http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm to format my external HD - Would I be able to use this to format this current hard drive?

You can try that too.

I formatted the HDD on a laptop, checked its condition, then when I had to put the HDD back on the PS3, it was needed to be re-formatted.

It was pretty easy and fast, but since this was my first issue and only with PS3 I was really nervous if it was really in bad condition as PlayStation support told me, but it wasn't.

I wouldn't trust to take advice from PlayStation Support ever again.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18 (1,389 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

It looks like the PS3 HD won't fit into my Toshiba Laptop due to the little prong to pull it out from the PS3.

Actually the PS3 one has a little 3 prong thing that would insert into the laptop but my Toshiba doesn't even have that.

What kind of laptop did you put it into? 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18 (1,383 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

As it didn't work with an Acer 3610 because of the connection wasn't the same for the PS3's HDD, I had to plug it to my sister's Acer 9300.

It worked fine.

Not my laptops just borrowed to fix the HDD :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18 (1,373 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I think I'll head down to the computer repair place and see if they have any laptops that will hold it. 

Almost at a stand still because it wouldn't fit into my laptop (Afraid to use the GF's.. wouldn't want to hear that wrath)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18 (1,371 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Changing/replacing/removing an HDD from a laptop is no big deal, it's actually easier than it seems.

You could tell your gf you've got it under control and everything would be fine, no data would be lost.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18 (1,364 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Hers is a Toshiba also so I assume that it would be the same go.

Anyways from talking to my dad he says the clunking noise usually means that the item isn't in good shape (Not his wording.. basically he said something about a driver head being broken and I should replace it)

The PS3 HDD's are Sata correct?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18 (1,355 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Hi mate

I used to get this problem all the time so did this video on youtube which has helped alot of people get it working again,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp5FoFKEltg

Don't know if this is the same viseo you were talking about.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18 (1,350 Views)
0 Kudos