PlayStation®3

PS3 General

PS3 General

Level 1

Re: Customizable game controls at the firmware level for PS3?

BiosNova wrote:

Corynpheus wrote:

BiosNova wrote:
I still see this as people trying ot find an excuse why they suck at games, controlls have almost always been the same, as i said i am left handed, the games i play have always had the aiming on the right and movement on the left, i can play the games FINE. If i can you can.

I am now Prestige 8 at COD 4 the best online game there is. You are very wrong about that ... it is no coincidence it has a southpaw config otherwise I would have dropped the game long ago. EPIC FAIL Sony

i can understand you wanting to have left handed controlls to make it better to play games, i do a lot of things right handed eventhough i am left handed. even though left handed controlls were niceyou can still play it "right handed" and get used to eventually

I tried right handed for months believe me .. and my aim is rubbish. Left handed I can enjoy these expensive 40 pound games and get my monies worth ... without southpaw I dont enjoy them as I dont enjoy playing below my normal level because Sony have failed epically to cater for left handers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EPIC FAIL SONY NOT PROVIDING SOUTHPAW CONFIGURABLE CONTROL OPTIONS IN THE XMB MENU
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Games franchises I wont be buying in future (approx 400 pounds of pre-orders each version)

Oblivion-Metal Gear Solid-Drake's Uncharted-GTA-Army Of Two-Turok-Battlefield Bad Company-Ratchet and Clank-FEAR
Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 56 (1,577 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

DeathroW22 wrote:

BiosNova wrote:

DeathroW22 wrote:

BiosNova wrote:

i have to admit, people who want left handed game controls are idiots. 

Get off you ignorant *****.

Im not being ignorant, its not hard to get used to controls almost evrey game has :smileyindifferent:

The fact you called someone an idiot because they're used to playing real games that require skill on a pc instead of stupidass console games says otherwise.

I know i was wrong to call him an idiot these posts kinda frustrate me though.Console games require skill too and calling PC games the only real games is a bit unfair :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 56 (1,573 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

This subject does bring out the ignorance in people ... it really does ..
EPIC FAIL SONY NOT PROVIDING SOUTHPAW CONFIGURABLE CONTROL OPTIONS IN THE XMB MENU

Games franchises I wont be buying in future (approx 400 pounds of pre-orders each version)

Oblivion-Metal Gear Solid-Drake's Uncharted-GTA-Army Of Two-Turok-Battlefield Bad Company-Ratchet and Clank-FEAR
Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 56 (1,571 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

although i completly agree that it would be a very good idea to configure the buttons yourself i cant see why it should be a firmware update and not a developer issue. surely if it was a firmware fix then you would still need change the buttons in-game anyway?

out of my friends that are left handed and anyone that ive met gaming that is left handed ive never heard of any of them asking or even using southpaw if it's available also i completly agree with the post about the N64, i loved goldeneye and any fps on the console and ive only just this second realised that i was actually playing them left handed thats how little it effects gaming imo

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 56 (1,566 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

LukasDave wrote:

although i completly agree that it would be a very good idea to configure the buttons yourself i cant see why it should be a firmware update and not a developer issue. surely if it was a firmware fix then you would still need change the buttons in-game anyway?

out of my friends that are left handed and anyone that ive met gaming that is left handed ive never heard of any of them asking or even using southpaw if it's available also i completly agree with the post about the N64, i loved goldeneye and any fps on the console and ive only just this second realised that i was actually playing them left handed thats how little it effects gaming imo

If it was a firmware update it guarantees the user will be able to play every game as they prefer. It is quite obvious now many of the games developers dont really care about it. Sony could add millions to their revenues with a simple mod to the firmware.

It doesnt need to be done in game. All the six-axis does is send a different encoded frequency to the PS3 to identify thhe button pressed. The PS3 passes this on to the current game you play. All the firmware update needs to do is allow you to remap that frequency to the button you require as compared to the standard config. You can work out yourself what needs to be mapped in the XMB for a particular game. Very simple to provide in programming terms.

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 56 (1,562 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

[ Edited ]
To clarify ... you would need a standard XMB controller config where the controls just do as they say on the box ... left stick is left stick, right stick is right stick, X is X, O is O etc.

All you would need to do is change left stick to be right stick and right stick to be left stick in the XMB for southpaw. If you prefer to jump with the down arrow instead of X then just swap them in the XMB menu. Then start the game .... if you dont want to use this facility just leave it alone in XMB. Those who want to remap can revisit the settings before playing a game, ideally have a pre-saved set for each game but hey just one set of settings for all games would be great compared to nothing now.
Message Edited by Corynpheus on 21-07-2008 11:12 AM

Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 56 (1,556 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

forgive my ignorence but unless you want to setup every games controller settings seperatly and save them all independently for each game on the XMB and have to select the correct one  before you play each game assuming that each games controls are going to be slightly different it seems like a lot of hassle really, but as you said im sure to actually implement it wouldnt be too difficult and if it would make people happy then i see no reason not to do it although i could see why it's not at the top of there list of things to do. it does sound as if it would be something they would do in the future though
Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 56 (1,553 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Sorry dont get you. It would be a lot of hassle for who exactly?

Those who want southpaw would be DELIGHTED to be able to change the settings. Those who dont wouldnt use it and it would not affect them in any way.

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 56 (1,551 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

im sure it's something that will be done in future. i know the PSP had a custom firmware (possibley led to official firmware, not sure) with a similar feature where there was an option to swap the 'X' and 'O' buttons around as it just felt better and easier to navigate with.

Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 56 (1,545 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

LukasDave wrote:

im sure it's something that will be done in future. i know the PSP had a custom firmware (possibley led to official firmware, not sure) with a similar feature where there was an option to swap the 'X' and 'O' buttons around as it just felt better and easier to navigate with.

Yes you're right I remember that ... proves it is easy for them to add.

Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 56 (1,543 Views)
0 Kudos