08 Mar 2011
By ytevo79
Beta Tester
Playstation Staff

EA chuffed with Mass Effect 2 PS3 sales

[ Edited ]
41 Replies 1,112 Views edited 08-03-2011

Specifically, the executive noted that the meaty 12GB downloadable release scoffed double-digit numbers in terms of overall sales, though wouldn't say exactly how many copies the game shifted. He did admit, however, that EA did “absolutely nothing” to promote the PS3 release.

:smileysurprised: That's our digital download only future got us by the short and curlies then :Shame: Thats extorionate news you stupid people who bought it! :smileytongue:

Electronic Arts boss John Riccitiello has described sales of the PlayStation 3 version of Mass Effect 2 as “meaningful,” following the sprawling sci-fi sequel’s launch on Sony’s platform back in January.

Chatting at the recent Morgan Stanley Technology Conference in San Francisco, Riccitiello seemed especially chuffed with sales of the digital version of the RPG, which launched alongside its boxed counterpart.

Specifically, the executive noted that the meaty 12GB downloadable release scoffed double-digit numbers in terms of overall sales, though wouldn't say exactly how many copies the game shifted. He did admit, however, that EA did “absolutely nothing” to promote the PS3 release.

"Sony had never done a day and day release," said Riccitiello. "They were very cautious about their infrastructure so it was mostly a technology test."

"This was really more about proving it can be done than it was proving what the opportunity would be," he added. "So an unmarketed game one year after the original was done on the Xbox and the PC, we released the PS3 and managed to do very, very well with it."

"They have got to manage both selling boxes at retail, and it's generally a pretty thin margin business," he explained. "And so they basically negotiate and leverage shelf space on the promise of making retail margin on software."

http://bit.ly/hnxTuR

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 42 (1,112 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

Re: EA chuffed with Mass Effect 2 PS3 sales

[ Edited ]

does that mean the PSN version of Mass Effect 2 accounted for at least 10% of overall sales? or is 'double digit numbers' something different? tis really surprising to see that people found that version more favourable over the retail version.

now a company has seen what that sort of thing can bring in on PSN, they might not be against doing it again. which is good because its available to more people overall and everything that brings, and bad for pricing and stuff i guess.

TwitterMIDRIGHT
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 42 (1,094 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

Playstation Staff

I'm guessing double digits means anything up to 99 copies sold. Which isn't really that much considering the size of Europe.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 42 (1,073 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

ytevo79 wrote:
I'm guessing double digits means anything up to 99 copies sold. Which isn't really that much considering the size of Europe.

Personally, it either proves there are a lot of mugs out there who don't realise what Digital downloads is going to mean for everyone, with Prices not dropping that far on consoles at least or the ability to lend a game to a mate or sell the game on when you've finished with it, or worse, you can't get your money back when you find out the game is a pile of *****e.

Second, I agree on the double digits, although I would put it closer to 10 maybe. :smileyvery-happy:

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 42 (1,005 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

But Mass Effect 2 sold awful on PS3
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 42 (947 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

At least with Digital Download you can't lose/scratch the disk.

You can also play without looking for it or getting annoyed your mate hasnt given it back yet.
Digital Download games are the future, live with it. Look what happened to music, whats happening to Movies, it will be games too.
Good or bad? dunno, but its coming. I for one like the idea of having all my games on the HD without needing to put a disk in.
Never sell SH anyway, if its crud, don't but it, thats what reviews are for. Yeah, you get caught out every now and then, but that's life.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 42 (936 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Good news, I just finished playing Mass Effect last night, but will prob have 1 more play through before I goto #2.  Sad news about the digital download figures, I don't like where that is heading (@Pyrofer You must be unaware of all the issues with DRM stained music and video along with PC DRM game measures) Who are these people who bought the digital version for double the cost of a Physical version from almost any online retailer and prob some brick and mortar stores too.

現在、サーバーのメンテナンス中です。 

ORG has become the UK’s leading voice defending freedom of expression, privacy, innovation, consumer rights and creativity on the net.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 42 (922 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Ok, DRM is evil, but people on this forum seem to thing doing ANYTHING to protect your IP is ok, just check out their defence of Sony on some other issues.
I would love if the downloads could be backed up on my PC and easily re-downloaded anytime, but that wont happen.
Mind you, Apple killed the DRM on iTunes and gave us unencumbered tunes we could backup didn't they.
You can re-download PSN content no?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 42 (918 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Pyrofer wrote:
Ok, DRM is evil, but people on this forum seem to thing doing ANYTHING to protect your IP is ok, just check out their defence of Sony on some other issues.
I would love if the downloads could be backed up on my PC and easily re-downloaded anytime, but that wont happen.
Mind you, Apple killed the DRM on iTunes and gave us unencumbered tunes we could backup didn't they.
You can re-download PSN content no?

I agree.

At least like you say you can re-download them.  (peniding activations and deactivations)

But £47 for a game that I could get in shops a day early for £29.99 in a case and full manual

The price structure needs to be looked at. Digital Distribution is suposed to be cheaper:xLol:

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 42 (909 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I was not aware of that price, no wonder they were impressed to get into double digit sales!

That pricing scheme needs to be stamped out right now. Its worse than the eBook scams. Ugh, DLG (down loadable games) should be cheaper than the retail versions not more!

Go play Lara Croft Gaurdian of Light instead, its cheap and a GREAT game, devs should be encouraged to do stuff like this.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 42 (893 Views)
0 Kudos