PS3 General

PS3 General

06 Jun 2009
By: skid_ Beta Tester 15 Posts
Level 1

Error 80010038

38 Replies 38605 Views Created 06-06-2009

Hi,

Just thought I would post some helpful info if anyone is thinking of doing a full backup of their PS3 system.

If you receive the error 80010038 then you probably have something on the HD that is copied protected.  This is usually game saves, and even though I cannot believe it these have to be deleted so you can perform the backup.  At first I noticed it was a few PSN titles Mortal Kombat, SF HD Remix etc, then it was games like Killzone and Resident Evil, saves that I don't want to delete.  This has to be addressed by Sony and the software houses, it seems to be the most bizarre thing to not be able to save the one thing you don't want to loose or delete.  

If anyone has come to find away of saving the copied protected items please post for others to use.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 39 (38,605 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Re: Error 80010038

Doing that would be illegal, overiting copy protection
I HATE ppl hu tlk like this bruv.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 39 (38,563 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

It is indeed pathetic.

If other games can allow you to back up your game saves, why cant the likes of RE5, KZ2 etc allow it.

Something needs to be done about this.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 39 (38,685 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

The only way u can save your copy write stuff like save games, psn games with are copy protected is by backing up on a external hard drive or something
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 39 (38,679 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I don't want to save them to a usb stick i'm trying to save the whole system, but you have to delete the protected stuff first.  I can understand them not allowing you to save them individually but not as a system backup.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 39 (38,662 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

[ Edited ]
DANTE, thats what im doing I have a brand new 500gb external drive that is formatted to FAT32 etc and it gets to about 5% and stops with the error 80010038.  Talking to sony they state you have to delete the protected saves to allow the backup..
Message Edited by skid_ on 06-06-2009 03:22 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 39 (38,664 Views)
0 Kudos

I got yesterday the solution. I was getting  the error at 1%, so i decided to delete everything in the PS3 with 40Gb HDD except the downloaded games and SAVEGAMES. So i deleted almost 12Gb of unnecessary information, including vidzone, playstation home, and pics, music, vids, etc etc.

So i went to the backup menu and started to make it again. Well, i got myhdd backed-up but it took up to 1 hour to get 18Gb backed up!!!!!!! This insignificant thing lets me thing that we have one of those two things. Or we have a 10 years old hardware or a pathetic OS.

So, PLEASE sony programmers staff...

1º Do a faster and ligther os just to improve HDD Speed...it is ridiculous slow.

2º Do a multitask OS, we do have thousands of cores just for what?? My windows system has only 2 cores and it does a lot of things at the same time....could not believe we could see ever worse software  than MS one.

3º In the backup menu, would be great to have the option to select what we do like to backup and what we do not want to. And the same for restoring.

4º Well as a keyb and a mouse can be used ( i have TWO one BT and one USB both from Logitech, and they work flawessly), why don't we have a mouse pointer?....i dont care if Ms in his XBOX has or doesn't have it....i bought SONY, becouse they are innovative, so a single thing that has proved to be the best interaction system with a computer based hardware, as it is the mouse pointer...why do we have not got one? it dates from MS-DOS/OS2 time...

And a little of maths...

18Gb/h = 5.2 MB/s

It is Ridiculous. In My Windows Based machine, my backup hard drive does perform 16Mb/s or almost 54Gb/h....It is and old 4th Gen Ipod with a 1.8" Hard Drive...as said...ridiculous performance in my PS3.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 39 (38,047 Views)
0 Kudos

hi, 

i was trying to play grand thief auto IV and the ps3 told me that an error has occurred during the start operation..... what do i have to do to solve that ploblem? 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 39 (36,586 Views)
0 Kudos

To be honest I have onley understood everything you said.

I got a question, maybe you could help me?

I bought a new game (tekken 6) and when i insert the disc

it wants to start the game. after 20 seconds of a black screen,

i get the error code 80010038 and it says that it has problems with the start operation.

i have the new PS3 version, does that have anything to do with it?

please help me.

thanks .

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 39 (36,503 Views)
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've been playing the new game nba2k10 the last 2 months, i played more than 200 games in "my player mode", but now when i insert the game disc i also get "An error occurred during the start operation (80010038).

I have the new PS3 version and with other games everything is ok! fortunately...

Please, i need help... i can't buy new games if then this happens again..

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 39 (36,100 Views)
0 Kudos