15 Mar 2010

Playstation Staff

FAT32 and NTFS

32 Replies 23,270 Views Created 15-03-2010

Hello, i ve just found out that the ps3 does not recognise the NTFS format, i ve got an external drive which i use to transfer different data from my pc to the ps3, i had to format this external HD into NTFS format so i could transfer a movie of 4Gig knowing that the FAT32 wont allow you to do so when the file is bigger than 3Gig. again, the external HD wont show up on the ps3 menu, just as if it is not plugged.

Can anyone tell me if there is a solution for the ps3 to recognise the NTFS format ? Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 33 (23,270 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: FAT32 and NTFS

The only solution I know of is to keep the NTFS HDD attached to the PC and streaming the content across your home network using Media sharing (Tversity etc)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 33 (23,261 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

mishoo_48 wrote:

Hello, i ve just found out that the ps3 does not recognise the NTFS format, i ve got an external drive which i use to transfer different data from my pc to the ps3, i had to format this external HD into NTFS format so i could transfer a movie of 4Gig knowing that the FAT32 wont allow you to do so when the file is bigger than 3Gig. again, the external HD wont show up on the ps3 menu, just as if it is not plugged.

Can anyone tell me if there is a solution for the ps3 to recognise the NTFS format ? Cheers

Sony need to allow us to attach drives in NTFS, i don't quite understand why it doesn't, unless its something to do with Microsoft as NTFS is their prefered format, but saying that can the Xbox cannot read a drive in NTFS.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 33 (23,210 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

savill wrote:

mishoo_48 wrote:

Sony need to allow us to attach drives in NTFS, i don't quite understand why it doesn't, unless its something to do with Microsoft as NTFS is their prefered format, but saying that can the Xbox cannot read a drive in NTFS.

I am not sure why the Xbox does not read NTFS but as for the PS3, it would involve paying MS some money to licence the tech i thin so not much chance on the horizon.  FSKI's post tell you how to get round the issue. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 33 (23,204 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

@savill its all about the encryption ... FAT32 is faster .. and thats the key right here... lets say is was NTFS but the response time of the write / read is like 10min do to the encryption
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 33 (23,220 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

What the file, I'm guessing at over 4 gig its media (film?) You could just break the film in two parts eg 6gb file into two 3gb files, if you name them similarilly one should start after the other so you wont notice the join when watching. Try something like HJ Split. Streaming would be the best solution tho, much less messing around. Or you could try something like psp9 to compress the file to be less than 4gb?
Photobucket
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 33 (23,210 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

or simple and clean

PS3 Media Server

PS3 Media Server is a DLNA compliant Upnp Media Server for the PS3, written in Java, with the purpose of streaming or transcoding any kind of media files, with minimum configuration. It's backed up with the powerful Mplayer/FFmpeg packages.
Current features

* Ready to launch and play. No codec packs to install. No folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing. All your folders are directly browsed by the PS3, there's an automatic refresh also.
* Real-time video transcoding of MKV/FLV/OGM/AVI, etc.
* Direct streaming of DTS / DTS-HD core to the receiver
* Remux H264/MPEG2 video and all audio tracks to AC3/DTS/LPCM in real time with tsMuxer when H264 is PS3/Level4.1 compliant
* Full seeking support when transcoding
* DVD ISOs images / VIDEO_TS Folder transcoder
* OGG/FLAC/MPC/APE audio transcoding
* Thumbnail generation for Videos
* You can choose with a virtual folder system your audio/subtitle language on the PS3!
* Simple streaming of formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG)
* Display camera RAWs thumbnails (Canon / Nikon, etc.)
* ZIP/RAR files as browsable folders
* Support for pictures based feeds, such as Flickr and Picasaweb
* Internet TV / Web Radio support with VLC, MEncoder or MPlayer
* Podcasts audio/ Video feeds support
* Basic Xbox360 support
* FLAC 96kHz/24bits/5.1 support
* Windows Only: DVR-MS remuxer and AviSynth alternative transcoder support

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 33 (23,202 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

T-e-X wrote:
@savill its all about the encryption ... FAT32 is faster .. and thats the key right here... lets say is was NTFS but the response time of the write / read is like 10min do to the encryption

Thank you T-e-X.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 33 (23,201 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

np champ :smileyvery-happy: :smileyhappy:

Towelie: Maybe people will apply the lessons from my memoirs to their own lives!
Publisher: "No, they won't, because they're people, and you're a towel."
Towelie: "You're a towel."

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 33 (23,192 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

T-e-X wrote:

no offence but, sorry i had to LOL at this.

MS hold the rights to NTFS format, simples. If  you want to use it you have to pay. However their are other open source alternatives which Linux users can use to read & write to NTFS drives, it doesn't have the performance of MS's format , but it does work & for the ps3 the speed reduction should be ok if your just streaming movies or listening to mp3's or whatever. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 33 (23,141 Views)
0 Kudos