04 Apr 2009
Beta Tester
Playstation Staff

Firmware 2.70 - PS3 "freezes" when leaving the browser

8 Replies 726 Views Created 04-04-2009

Hi there, apologies if there's another thread on this subject. I searched on here and I've also googled - nothing.

Has anyone else had the XMB freeze with the little pulsating circle (top right corner) active when exiting a browser session? The XMB stays that way forever... only the PS button responds, so rebooting is the quickest way out (ouch)

I know of 2 others who have had the same problem. One saw it when exiting the Burnout Paradise web page when starting the game.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (726 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: Firmware 2.70 - PS3 "freezes" when leaving the browser

It happens to be now and again when I am using the browser. It's happened less to me in fairness, but originally I could be surfing or exiting and it would simply just stall.

Doesn't seem as though it will have a significant affect on your Playstation 3; it is a nuisance more than anything. The stability of the browser is sometimes abit uneven.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (724 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Has anyone had it hang randomly when you scroll onto the Text Chat when you have a 'room' open?

I was scrolling around the XMB scrolled onto the friends list section (I had left a chat open so started the scroll from there) and WHAM just froze for like 10 seconds. Weird.

Deadly Sins

SOTW Entry: Sins

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (720 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

It's happened to me since I first bought my PS3, so 2.70 is not the culprit.
What seems to make it jam up though is if you're loading a page that is really slow and laggy because of some flash video or lots of images. Say if you close the browser on google it'll probably never jam up but something like IGN/Gametrailers will make it jam up a lot.

I think ATM the browser is only running on the RAM, but if it eventually uses the cell properly then it'll be much quicker and we won't see any problems like this. :Thumbs:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (719 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the interesting feedback people. Looks like it's not the latest firmware, I just never experienced the freezing before this week. I guess 256MB RAM is a bit of a limit :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (697 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

This is not new to 2.7. SONY changed something in 2.6 I think.

You will find that you can not open multiple pages simultaneously anymore. Many websites now "hang" with the hdd light on while pages are loading...including this website.
Freezes still occur, usually with large pages (photo blogs, plug-ins etc).

SONY really need to spend some time with the browser because it struggles too much doing simple things.
"we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars"
Oscar Wilde
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (691 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (656 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I have a 60 gb and mine freeze when i leave the web brower as well
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (609 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I've had problems with certain websites when exiting the browser - just like you've described.

I think it's related to java script (as disabling java script in the browser options seemed to solve it for me).  You'll of course have to enable it again to browse sites such as youtube.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (608 Views)
0 Kudos