29 Aug 2007

Playstation Staff

Formatting external HDD to FAT32?

16 Replies 680 Views Created 29-08-2007
I have a 250gb external HDD which i only bought to format my computer.
Well now it just has backups on it so i never use it, so i might as well use it with PS3.
Question is, how do i format it to FAT32?
When i right click it in my computer and select a file system, im only allowed NTFS, nothing else is available.

Please reply.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17 (680 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Formatting external HDD to FAT32?

I have a 250gb external HDD which i only bought to format my computer.
Well now it just has backups on it so i never use it, so i might as well use it with PS3.
Question is, how do i format it to FAT32?
When i right click it in my computer and select a file system, im only allowed NTFS, nothing else is available.

Please reply.

If you're using XP then it won't let you format a hard drive over 32GB with anything but NTFS - or what I mean is, WinXP itself won't let you do it. You'll need a third party application (something like PartitionMagic for example) to do it. :smileywink:

Check out my blog: http://www.spikycat.com/
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17 (680 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

check out seagate or maxtor websites they do a good program
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17 (680 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

If you're using XP then it won't let you format a hard drive over 32GB with anything but NTFS - or what I mean is, WinXP itself won't let you do it. You'll need a third party application (something like PartitionMagic for example) to do it. :smileywink: Not true. You can do this with Windows XP using the disk management tools. Right-click 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'. Click on disk management and after it quickly scans you will see the available disks. You need to right click on the external disk and create a partition smaller than 32Gb. Windows will then allow you to format that partition with Fat32. You can then format the rest of the drive with NTFS. The PS3 will see and utilise the Fat32 partition while Windows will be able to use both so you can still use the bigger partition for backing up PC stuff. There is no tool that will let you format the whole drive in Fat32 because the Fat32 file system simply doesn't support partitions over 32Gb Oh, and you will lose all data when creating partitions so make sure there isn't anything you need on there. Once you're done formatting you can pop it back on the NTFS partition
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17 (680 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

You could also try the Fat32Formatter from this site:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm

If I remember rightly, I used this one when I needed to re-format my external drive.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17 (680 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

If you're using XP then it won't let you format a hard drive over 32GB with anything but NTFS - or what I mean is, WinXP itself won't let you do it. You'll need a third party application (something like PartitionMagic for example) to do it. :smileywink:

Not true. You can do this with Windows XP using the disk management tools.

Right-click 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'. Click on disk management and after it quickly scans you will see the available disks.
You need to right click on the external disk and create a partition smaller than 32Gb. Windows will then allow you to format that partition with Fat32. You can then format the rest of the drive with NTFS.
The PS3 will see and utilise the Fat32 partition while Windows will be able to use both so you can still use the bigger partition for backing up PC stuff.

There is no tool that will let you format the whole drive in Fat32 because the Fat32 file system simply doesn't support partitions over 32Gb

I stand corrected then mate - I didn't realise you could create partitions in XP's disk manager. Apologies for the duff guidance!! :smileysurprised:

Check out my blog: http://www.spikycat.com/
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17 (680 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

I can also verify that fat32format works fine.

I used it to format a 300Gb drive which i've just put in a SATA external drive case.

This allows me to backup all my PS3 Store downloads and also has room to backup my missus's laptop :smileyvery-happy:

PS: Its much cheaper than buying a new internal 2.5" drive for the PS3 :Thumbs:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17 (680 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

meh the seagate program lets you formatt the whole drive fat32 ive done a 500gb drive not long ago
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17 (680 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

meh the seagate program lets you formatt the whole drive fat32
ive done a 500gb drive not long ago

Is it free?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17 (680 Views)