PS3 General

PS3 General

04 Mar 2011
By: joro550 Member 270 Posts
Level 3

GAMOCRACY - Is this really a good idea?

6 Replies 275 Views Created 04-03-2011

Hey guys and garls,

I would first like to make my intentions clear, I am not here to troll or to start a "flame war" I'm more looking for an honest opinion from the general public, or at least the Playstation community.

Second, I don't know if this is the right section to be posting this I mean I know it's about the game (which has it's own thread) but it is also a general discussion (about a PS3 game) so I'm sure if I have it wrong a mod or admin will set it straight.

Now, on to my argument.

Gamocracy - is it a good idea to ask for input??

Right the first thing I want to say is this - I know it's exciting and all having your content in a game, I mean I've dreamt all my life about making a game that people actually like, enjoy and play. But the way that this company is going around to making a game is asking for community help - I mean this is not a "bad" thing to do, people ask for help all the time this is what most forums are based around. But the way they ask for help is very specific i.e. We need a hero, why don't you throw a couple of designs together for us?

Now my problem is this, are they asking for community input - or are they just plain lazy??

Now I know it's just a first dev diary and all but this: Dev-diary, is a little poor, this is something even I could program (and yes you can take me up on that challenge) and you can see in my comment on the blog (if you can be bothered to scroll down) that it is a good entry but not a "game" and I hope that they do improve on it - a lot!

Now I can't think of example of the top of my head about a game asking for this much (or any at all) collaboration - and maybe it is a good thing, I don't know, it might turn out to be quite a good game. But asking for this amount of ideas from the community even the game creators can't even predict whether it will be a good game.

I think I will end with this - I would like peoples opinions of whether this is a good way to create a game? Because if so I might ask people to create me some sprite sheets for my game as I am looking for someone who can actually draw on computer.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (275 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Re: GAMOCRACY - Is this really a good idea?

It's something that can be seen as many sceptics as them being lazy.

Maybe they wanted to do something for the community by the community.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (260 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

depends how much they charge i suppose, though i havent looked into this thing much
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (215 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

I was thinking the same as you when i first heard the idea - thinking that it iss pretty lazy of them, but it does cost alot of money & time to come up with these ideas.. Localize them, advertise them, debug them, and loads more i've no idea of. Flip it around again though and if the game flops they've got no-one to blame really except themselves. Just wait for it to come out, try the demo if there is one (Maybe it'll be Free on PS+) and take it from there..

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (193 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 9

A developer that wants YOU the gamer to make the game that YOU the gamer will play and enjoy? Its better then getting rammed with shovelware the the developers WANT you to play.

Of course its not lazy, its a bloody great idea I wish more developers listened to the gamers. After all it is US that play their games. Its about time we had some input into them :Thumbs:
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (181 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

how the **** is it lazy?? man that is stupid.

nirvana fallacy at its finest right here...
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (175 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

If you're too lazy to have your own vision for a game then buy them instead of making them.

Asking for feed back on an existing game is one thing but to create one, is the very deffinition of design by commitee. Go onto play share create games like Little Big Planet, take every bad level, mesh them together and that's what asking people over the internet how to make a game will get you.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (163 Views)
0 Kudos